What are we missing in this market

Tayfromcarolina

Somebody has to say it and it might as well be me. We are missing several restuarants and stores in the triangle which based on the population and buying power one would believe would already be here; Or on the way.

Restaurants

Mortons Steakhouse >>Richmond even has one and the triangle is way bigger.

The Palm

McCormick and Schmicks>> Birmingham even has one

Steak and Shake-- We are finally getting one on Capital Blvd. should be open this winter.

Jack in the Box>>This still baffles me you would have thinkk they would have made it here by now. :huh:

Zaxbys>> We have a couple, but we need more cause I'm an addict.

Stores

Nieman Marcus>> might as well since we have Saks, and Nordstroms

HHGregs(Think Best Buy/Circuit City)>>Even Columbia will soon have one. <_<

Can you think of any stores/eateries you think we should have?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Triangle has so many good restaurants I don't think we need a Palm, Morton's, or McCormick and Schmick although there will be a Morton's in the Crabtree area in the near future as well as a McCormick and Schmick somewhere-I think downtown near BTI was in the mix. I have eaten at all 3 and was the least bit impressed. I don't each much steak but when I do I think Angus Barn is better than the Palm and Morton's. Prime Only is pretty good as well or try Bin54 in Chapel Hill and Chamas in Durham. I have never been to Sullivan's or Ruth Chris's but heard those were good as well. Seafood-try 42nd Street Oyster Bar. For great steamed seafood in a very casual to rundown atmosphere, try Fishmongers in downtown Durham. Instead of all these soulless chains I would rather people support local businesses and we have great ones in the area.

I'd like to have an Eatzi's, Dean & Deluca, a Southern Market, or C'est Bon (near 5th ave and 58th St in NYC). A really good prepared foods market would really go well here. Whole Foods is not bad, mind you, but each of these is better.

I'd love love love to have Rosa Mexicano, too. They opened store #3 in DC and #4 in ATL recently. (stores 1 and 2 are in NYC) This is my favorite place to eat anywhere.

As far as men's clothes go, the only store that has floated my boat in the last 15 years was the Falconnable store on 5th Ave. They carry that line at Nordstrom, but the F-store had way more neat looking stuff.

I'm surprised the Triangle doens't have Jack in the Box or Steak and Shake yet...

I'm really surprised that Dean & Deluca doesn't have a triangle location... until i saw their website, I had thought they had more of a nationwide presence than the website suggests

http://www.deandeluca.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...ions.d2w/report

and I was shocked that Charlotte has 3 locations (one main, 2 cafes) ad the Triangle has none. plus on their site they use the Stonecrest-Charlotte store picture on the location page

It seems surprising, not just in raleigh, but in charlotte as well, that some sort of Armani store has not located there. Not even an Armani exchange. If Charlotte can get an Emporio Armani and Raleigh get an Armani Exchange, I would say the only other retail missing is something like Cole Haan or Burberry. I would wait, however to see how well Lacoste is doing right now before retailers jump the gun. From what i have heard, Lacoste is getting great business.

Raleigh did have Steak and Shake, if memory serves... but it went out of business. This was several years ago, like back in the mid 90s at least.

It would be cool to see Jack in the Box show up in the Raleigh area. Despite the chain's health scares, Jack in the Box was one of the few fast food restaurant I can tolerate, and I enjoyed their presence in Charlotte. I believe it is headquartered on the west coast?

I don't eat beef, and usually don't enjoy high end restuarants of any type, so I am indifferent about some of the other chains mentioned. I did eat at Ruth Chris several years ago (late 90s) because the meal was free thanks to a raffle I won at work, and while it was a good experience (didn't have any steak), I guess I'm just not the fancy cuisine type. Call me unrefined. :lol:

As far as electronics stores are concerned, the market is laden with Circuit City and Best Buy, and I believe there are a few Tweeter locations as well. The Triangle is also headquarters to several very high end audio equipment manufacturers, and thus has acquired a lot of small audio/video specialty shops around the area.

I'd be willing to bet that we didn't have Steak n Shake. We did have GD Ritzy's, which was a similar burger (thin and fried like crazy).

I heard once that Armani came hear to look at stocking their line in Nowell's, but were so appalled by the looks of Cameron Village (pre-renovation) that they said,"No." Certainly North Market Drive wouldn't impress them, either. :lol:

I've honestly been a little disappointed in the clothing stores out there when I've traveled. Burberry used to be on the list, but they've fallen into the mass expansion/slash quality trap. I get all of my chic wear at BJ's. :rofl: (I'll be here all week)

Yeah, I'm just not certain... For some reason in my mind I can see a Steak and Shake on Capital Blvd near AutoZone... but I can't say for certain where it was, if it was even there at all. Before CookOut appeared on Capital, was anything else in that spot?

ARGH I might be thinking of something else altogether. My fuming hatred of Capital Blvd is probably warping my memory. :lol:

I think the #1 obvious thing the region lacks are nice hotels ... I know The Umsted is well underway in Cary, and Chapel Hill already has a couple nice options.

Locally, it brings additional options for really extravagant weddings or office parties, new upscale restaurants and nightlife. It also brings the region credibility as a destination for business travelers, people attending numerous sporting events, or even tourists.

If you go to tripadvisor.com and type Raleigh as a destination, the #1 hotel is Homewood Suites Raleigh/Crabtree Valley. In my opinion, that's embarrassing, especially with the NHL in town.

Yeah, I'm just not certain... For some reason in my mind I can see a Steak and Shake on Capital Blvd near AutoZone... but I can't say for certain where it was, if it was even there at all. Before CookOut appeared on Capital, was anything else in that spot?

ARGH I might be thinking of something else altogether. My fuming hatred of Capital Blvd is probably warping my memory.

It wasn't a Steak & Shake, it was a Checkers. Man, I miss those fries :(

I was talking to someone today and I would love to have a Capital Grille somewhere. The one I've been to in Charlotte was awesome, anyone else ever been? I think a prime location would be the corner space of the new Progress Energy building. I'm still waiting for something to fill that space.

Oh! paletexan, DUH! We definitely needs some good hotels, and they are on the way. I'm excited about the Umstead, the Renaissance (at N. Hills), the Marriott at the convention hotel, and (assumption) the Lafayette (boutique hotel at Site 4). I heard that the Quaintance hotel at the old Koger Center (Glenwood and 440) was off, due to a flood of nice projects, but I feel like I heard that it actually wasn't "off". Anyone recall the current status?

Checkers was where the CookOut is. (how about that tacky check cashing place where Schlotsky's was - I tought blight was supposed to just be with old, rundown buildings) I definitely hate Capital Blvd as much as anyone on here!

There's actually a Steak and Shake under construction near the intersection of Capital and Millbrook, in the same shopping center as Petsmart and Target. It's actually right in front of Petsmart. I noticed it when I visited Petsmart today. They have a little trailer beside it where they can take applications and hire folks.

I always found it wierd that Raleigh has no Checkers. What's up with that? Is Cook Out supposed to replace the niche Checker's is supposed to occupy? If so, what a shame because Checker's tastes waaaay better than Cook Out. Don't get me wrong, I visit Cook Out quite often, but their food tastes like something you can make at the house LOL. Hence the name.

Raleigh also doesn't have a Friendly's.

...or a Costco

Also, there are no 7-11's here. I guess Circle K is supposed to fill that niche as well.

I LOVE 7-11's taquitos and hot dogs!! Mmm mmmm

I always found it wierd that Raleigh has no Checkers. What's up with that? Is Cook Out supposed to replace the niche Checker's is supposed to occupy? If so, what a shame because Checker's tastes waaaay better than Cook Out. Don't get me wrong, I visit Cook Out quite often, but their food tastes like something you can make at the house LOL. Hence the name.

There is a Checkers in Fuquay Varina that opened earlier this year. I asked if they were going to build more in the area and the woman said more were planned. Cook Out and Checkers surely can exist in the same region. Checkers has great fries. Cook Out can stay just for the milk shakes.

I would love for Jack In The Box to come into the area. There is a shortage of 24 hour establishments and they have a better variety of food than most of there competitors. I thought once they bought Qdoba they might start building more Jack's in Qdoba areas like Triangle (2 in Raleigh, 1 in Apex, 1 in Chapel Hill). There are 28 Jacks in NC and the company's website does discuss a national expansion in their latest financial report.

My wife thinks we need some more healthy / fresh restaurants. For example, in Los Angeles, they have restaurants that serve everything raw (no cooking involved) based on the principle that cooking takes nutrients out of our food.

I think the triangle is overdue for something cutting edge like this.

Regarding hotels, why doesn't Raleigh (the Capital City, for crying out loud!) have any 5-star hotels?

I would love to see a Hyatt Regency in downtown raleigh. Surely a city that has a new Rolls-Royce dealership (Leith on Capital Blvd) can support one or two!

Who knows what's taken so long. When people from out of town ask us about the really nice places to stay in Raleigh, we tell them the Sienna in Chapel Hill or Fearrington in Pittsboro.

Of course, there's one being built on SAS's campus in Cary, there was a Westin propsoed at Crabtree, and there was talk of a 5-star boutique downtown. We'll see.

My wife thinks we need some more healthy / fresh restaurants. For example, in Los Angeles, they have restaurants that serve everything raw (no cooking involved) based on the principle that cooking takes nutrients out of our food.

The bacteria don't care whether the nutrients are there are not. I've counted the tiles enough times to know I want my food COOKED!!!

I think the triangle is overdue for something cutting edge like this.

I think that would be really cool

I too wonder about the hold up on the nice hotels. And also a resort simalar to "Grandover" in Greensboro/High Point. Because Frankly Pinehurst is still too far to drive for the 1.4 million that live in the triangle. Don't we deserve better? I can see it now Off of interstate 40 at the 540 overpass. That way as people ride by they could see this 20 story architectural feat that is the resort; Complete with spa and all.

What are we missing?

Beer

FAT TIRE from New Belgium Brewery (made in Colorado but sold through out some Western States)

:alc:

Hotels

Conrad

Hyatt

Nikko

Okura

Sofitel

SwissHotel

Loew's

New Renaissance (coming to North Hills)

Restaurants

Jack in the Box (love the ultimate breakfast sandwich)

Chuy's (small arizona chain)

El Pollo Loco

Filbertos (closest thing is Los Cuoates in North Market Square)

Peabody's coffee

Let me think on this

Archived