What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seemed like a good topic since Northwest Arkansas seems to be lagging behind other Urban areas.

What do you guys want to see in Northwest Arkansas?

Examples:

Certain Restaurants

Tourist Attractions

Buildings

Certain Hotels

Good topic Matt. I will obviously speak from a Fayetteville aspect. I have been disappointed Fayetteville doesn't have some nicer hotels in the area. Rogers seems to be doing well in this area recently. Although the new hotel at the old Mountain Inn area looks promising. I'd like to see Fayetteville and northwest Arkansas for that matter worek more on tourism. We do have some really nice festivals and such in the area that draw in quite a few people. But I'd also like to see us work more on urban type tourism, Little Rock included. I think most people tend to see Arkansas as the 'Natural State' which is great. But I'd like for people to see us as more than just that. I guess it's harder for me to pick particular restaurants or shops as others. I guess I haven't visited other larger cities and I'm not as familiar with some of these places as others on the forum here. I guess I'm also a fan of local places too. I certainly don't have problems with chains coming into the area, as long as it doesn't end up hurting all the local places. Although it can be a good thing and give some of the local places reasons to strive to improve. Since you brought this up what do you have to suggest Matt?

Well, for me, I would like to see a nice theme park that everyone can enjoy. I think the area has the potential, along with the demographics to support one.

Also, a really nice hotel like a Hyatt or something. I know people tend to say that we have to many hotel rooms up here in Benton and Washington Counties, but they pretty much sell out throughout the week.

Of course, as I have stated up here before, A Light Rail System and Bus System. I think 20 years from now, we will have enough people to support it, which will create downtown development all along the rail line.

Well, for me, I would like to see a nice theme park that everyone can enjoy. I think the area has the potential, along with the demographics to support one.

Also, a really nice hotel like a Hyatt or something. I know people tend to say that we have to many hotel rooms up here in Benton and Washington Counties, but they pretty much sell out throughout the week.

Of course, as I have stated up here before, A Light Rail System and Bus System. I think 20 years from now, we will have enough people to support it, which will create downtown development all along the rail line.

Yes I think a theme park would fit into my urban tourism. Although I'm not sure if we are big enough to have much of one. I've seen some cities much larger than us that haven't been able to attract much. But I have thought of something else I'd like to bring up. More cultural aspects. Crystal Bridges in Bentonville will certainly help. But I want more than this. There has been talk in the past of a potential museum here in Fayetteville that could be affiliated with the Smithsonian and bring in travelling exhibits. There was also talk of an aquarium here in Fayetteville. People have had some nice ideas but just haven't gotten the money or support needed to bring these ideas to life. But I'd really like to see Fayetteville work on some things like this. Maybe have it in the same area south of the Walton Art Center like around Fayetteville's Public Library.

A nice planetarium.

And an Aquarium.

Both of these would compliment the area well. Didn't Fayetteville seek to put an Aquarium in a little while ago and it was turned down?

Not that I'm aware of. I thought there just wasn't enough money or support for one. If I'm not mistaken I think Little Rock has a planetarium. Or maybe it's the Space Museum I'm thinking of. There's also an IMAX there too. Something else that northwest Arkansas could use. Now a long time ago I think I possible plans for an IMAX around the Pinnacle Hills area of Rogers. But then I heard nothing else, so I'm not sure if it fell through or what.

Not that I'm aware of. I thought there just wasn't enough money or support for one. If I'm not mistaken I think Little Rock has a planetarium. Or maybe it's the Space Museum I'm thinking of. There's also an IMAX there too. Something else that northwest Arkansas could use. Now a long time ago I think I possible plans for an IMAX around the Pinnacle Hills area of Rogers. But then I heard nothing else, so I'm not sure if it fell through or what.

The problem with the IMAX was that IMAX never agreed to putting a theatre in Pleasant Crossing. Malco did, but they did say that they expressed interest in the area and that one may come.

I think the planatarium and aquarium would be supported due to all the schools in the area. When I was in Jr. High, we had to go to Springfield to go see their aquarium. Especially with the growing number of grade schoolars, I think they would work and would certainly bring in more tourists dollars to the area. Who knows, they might decide to build that next to Crystal Bridges?

The problem with the IMAX was that IMAX never agreed to putting a theatre in Pleasant Crossing. Malco did, but they did say that they expressed interest in the area and that one may come.

I think the planatarium and aquarium would be supported due to all the schools in the area. When I was in Jr. High, we had to go to Springfield to go see their aquarium. Especially with the growing number of grade schoolars, I think they would work and would certainly bring in more tourists dollars to the area. Who knows, they might decide to build that next to Crystal Bridges?

While I of course would hope Fayetteville would be able to be home to something like an IMAX or an aquarium I'd just be happy having one somewhere in the area. Those wouldn't be areas I'd be going to all the time so having them in Benton County wouldn't be so bad. Although if Benton County keeps going and manages to get attractions like these I think Rogers/Bentonville could end up passing up Fayetteville as the main draw in the area.

I think both would do well in Fayetteville since you guys already have Walton Arts Center, and have a more urban feel.

Another thing that needs to happen is a resort out by Beaver Lake. In an area where there's no homeowners!!! :rofl:

I think that people would come the resort where they could do recreational activities in the water, and even have an onsight Spa.

I think both would do well in Fayetteville since you guys already have Walton Arts Center, and have a more urban feel.

Another thing that needs to happen is a resort out by Beaver Lake. In an area where there's no homeowners!!! :rofl:

I think that people would come the resort where they could do recreational activities in the water, and even have an onsight Spa.

True, that's one thing I have heard people mention. No real spas around here, or really in Arkansas. Even in Hot Springs with it's history of the bathhouses only one is still open. But if they are going to develop that area around Coose Hollow on Beaver Lake some other developments would be nice. What if they built a water park that was build along and into Beaver Lake?

I thought of another thing I'd like to mention. I thought of this while on the restaurant topic. While we do have some nice restaurants with some atmosphere, I personally think we could have more or have some with better atmospheres.

True, that's one thing I have heard people mention. No real spas around here, or really in Arkansas. Even in Hot Springs with it's history of the bathhouses only one is still open. But if they are going to develop that area around Coose Hollow on Beaver Lake some other developments would be nice. What if they built a water park that was build along and into Beaver Lake?

I thought of another thing I'd like to mention. I thought of this while on the restaurant topic. While we do have some nice restaurants with some atmosphere, I personally think we could have more or have some with better atmospheres.

Water Park would be nice along Beaver Lake. It would remind me off Crystal Falls in Hot Springs. But land along Beaver Lake in Benton County is a little rugged. I wonder if one in Washington County would do good.

I agree about you with restaurants. We need real upscale restaurants in the area that have nice atmospheres. Belle Arti is supposed to be coming to Rogers, whenever they decide to open their restaurant in Downtown Rogers, I don't know.

It does shock me that we don't have any "real spas" in the area. You'd think with all the spoiled Wal-mart wives and the vendor families that we'd have at least one. :rofl:

I think the nearest is in Eureka Springs but that with a large resort, just like Branson would be pretty cool.

Water Park would be nice along Beaver Lake. It would remind me off Crystal Falls in Hot Springs. But land along Beaver Lake in Benton County is a little rugged. I wonder if one in Washington County would do good.

I agree about you with restaurants. We need real upscale restaurants in the area that have nice atmospheres. Belle Arti is supposed to be coming to Rogers, whenever they decide to open their restaurant in Downtown Rogers, I don't know.

It does shock me that we don't have any "real spas" in the area. You'd think with all the spoiled Wal-mart wives and the vendor families that we'd have at least one. :rofl:

I think the nearest is in Eureka Springs but that with a large resort, just like Branson would be pretty cool.

It would seem that it's just a matter of time before we attract something into the area. Although I admit I'd like to see the growth here help Eureka Springs with it's tourism. That reminds me (as I get off topic again :lol: ) Which direction do you see northwest Arkansas most likely to grow? North to southwest Missouri, northeast towards Beaver Lake and maybe Euerka Springs?

It would seem that it's just a matter of time before we attract something into the area. Although I admit I'd like to see the growth here help Eureka Springs with it's tourism. That reminds me (as I get off topic again :lol: ) Which direction do you see northwest Arkansas most likely to grow? North to southwest Missouri, northeast towards Beaver Lake and maybe Euerka Springs?

Probably more to southwest Missouri and west out to XNA.

Another thing that should be in the area is a large zoo. I know that we have that farm out in Gentry, but I remembered as a kid it would take an hour from Rogers on a bus to get there.

Probably more to southwest Missouri and west out to XNA.

Another thing that should be in the area is a large zoo. I know that we have that farm out in Gentry, but I remembered as a kid it would take an hour from Rogers on a bus to get there.

Ah, another good choice I forgot about. Yeah we have that place at Gentry, but that's not really what I think of as a zoo. I'd like to have something a little closer to like what's in Little Rock.

Ah, another good choice I forgot about. Yeah we have that place at Gentry, but that's not really what I think of as a zoo. I'd like to have something a little closer to like what's in Little Rock.

I agree.

Another thing is a large scale museum that caters to one subject like US History or Science.

I agree.

Another thing is a large scale museum that caters to one subject like US History or Science.

I certainly agree. I really think at least one of the recent subjects is really needed here somewhere in northwest Arkansas. Preferably more than just one. That has still been a complaint by some of the people that have moved into northwest Arkansas, not enough cultural facilities and such. I wouldn't mind having some more art galleries for that matter.

I certainly agree. I really think at least one of the recent subjects is really needed here somewhere in northwest Arkansas. Preferably more than just one. That has still been a complaint by some of the people that have moved into northwest Arkansas, not enough cultural facilities and such. I wouldn't mind having some more art galleries for that matter.

Yeah, I think one in Rogers in the Pinnacle Area would be cool, and especially one in Downtown Fayetteville. I'm sure once Crystal Bridges is completed Downtown Bentonville will become revitalized and developments will spring up there.

How about a Botanical Garden?

Or do you think we are too small for that?

More quality independent restaurants (as opposed to chains, which NWA has developed a good repertoire of in the last few years), particularly in Benton County.

A couple of nice private college prep schools would be nice.

Aside from that, not much.

I do agree with you there, although I must admit I would like to have a bit more than that. :D

More quality independent restaurants (as opposed to chains, which NWA has developed a good repertoire of in the last few years), particularly in Benton County.

A couple of nice private college prep schools would be nice.

Aside from that, not much.

Yes, as stated on another forum, NW Arkansas needs some private college prep schools. I think something like a Lutheran or something denomination of that standard would work out well.

Could you see something like a Rainforest Cafe?

Restaurants like this would be hard to attract to the area, and I'm not sure if one would ever come to the area. Yet, things like Saks coming to the area was a shocker, who knows?

Yeah, I think one in Rogers in the Pinnacle Area would be cool, and especially one in Downtown Fayetteville. I'm sure once Crystal Bridges is completed Downtown Bentonville will become revitalized and developments will spring up there.

How about a Botanical Garden?

Or do you think we are too small for that?

Oh yeah how could I forget that too. Actually we are slowly getting one here in Fayetteville. It's in the northeast part of town close to the Lake Fayetteville area. It's been planned for quite a while but it's taking a very slow growing process. Just doing what they can with the funds they can get. Although eventually I think it will be a nice place. There was a pretty nice botanical garden west of Eureka Springs near Blue Spring. But unfortunately it didn't stay open very long.

Yes, as stated on another forum, NW Arkansas needs some private college prep schools. I think something like a Lutheran or something denomination of that standard would work out well.

Could you see something like a Rainforest Cafe?

Restaurants like this would be hard to attract to the area, and I'm not sure if one would ever come to the area. Yet, things like Saks coming to the area was a shocker, who knows?

I must live a sheltered life or something, can't say I'm too familiar with the Rainforest Cafe. As far as a Lutheran school, I could see that doing okay. We do have more Lutherans here than just about anywhere in the state. This came up a long time ago but I do know Johnnydr87, Arkansawyer and I were raised Lutheran. Seems sorta odd to have so many pop up here in a Baptist state.

Oh yeah how could I forget that too. Actually we are slowly getting one here in Fayetteville. It's in the northeast part of town close to the Lake Fayetteville area. It's been planned for quite a while but it's taking a very slow growing process. Just doing what they can with the funds they can get. Although eventually I think it will be a nice place. There was a pretty nice botanical garden west of Eureka Springs near Blue Spring. But unfortunately it didn't stay open very long.

I must live a sheltered life or something, can't say I'm too familiar with the Rainforest Cafe. As far as a Lutheran school, I could see that doing okay. We do have more Lutherans here than just about anywhere in the state. This came up a long time ago but I do know Johnnydr87, Arkansawyer and I were raised Lutheran. Seems sorta odd to have so many pop up here in a Baptist state.

Rainforest Cafe is a really big rainforest themed restaurant that is all over the midwest and east. They really only go in large urban markets, but you never know?

How about a real Wal-Mart Museum? The one off in Bentonville Square is cool but is really old.

I do agree with you there, although I must admit I would like to have a bit more than that. :D

One other I forgot about: one massive, ultra-modern and well-staffed medical center. NWA doesn't have a hospital along the lines of a Baptist or UAMS in Little Rock or even a St Edward's in Ft Smith yet. The new Washington Regional is nice aesthetically but it is still a smaller hospital that's a step behind. I think part of the problem is that all of the hospitals work against each other. Perhaps if they were all in one system they could operate as satellites of a large parent facility, which is what NWA really needs.

Again, this goes back to the fact NWA is so close to older, more established metros in Ft Smith, Tulsa, and Springfield and therefore serves only a local population as opposed to the others which have a more regional role.

One other I forgot about: one massive, ultra-modern and well-staffed medical center. NWA doesn't have a hospital along the lines of a Baptist or UAMS in Little Rock or even a St Edward's in Ft Smith yet. The new Washington Regional is nice aesthetically but it is still a smaller hospital that's a step behind. I think part of the problem is that all of the hospitals work against each other. Perhaps if they were all in one system they could operate as satellites of a large parent facility, which is what NWA really needs.

Again, this goes back to the fact NWA is so close to older, more established metros in Ft Smith, Tulsa, and Springfield and therefore serves only a local population as opposed to the others which have a more regional role.

The new St. Mary's is supposed to be massive with 9 stories.

Good point Aporkalypse. I do think the cities compete and in this way hurt each other in this aspect. It would be nice to have a bigger medical center in the area. I'd also like to be able to have something like UAMS even on a smaller scale here. The Ozarks has a large older population and I think having more medical facilities here would really benefit the area well.

Wow, just noticed how many responses there are on here on a topic only an hour old. Well it's been great Matt having so much prolonged activity on here but I really need to get off the computer and do some things. I've lost track of time here. :D Some of our other forumers might be surprised to see what all has popped up here since they were last on.

Archived