What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are planning around 10 or so branches in NW Arkansas.

Another Little Rock Bank entering the Market, Metropolitan National Bank is planning around 10 also.

I still think it's ripoff of our name. I certainly don't think Little Rock when I think Ozarks. Although I don't guess it's as bad of a ripoff as Ozarka water, straight from a Ft Worth Texas suburb.

I guess I can see that.

It really doesn't effect me that much. But I certainly don't think Little Rock when I see Bank of the Ozarks. Kind of like exploiding our region :P

Oh well enough of that. I guess the nature center thing got me fired up again. :D

I still think it's ripoff of our name. I certainly don't think Little Rock when I think Ozarks. Although I don't guess it's as bad of a ripoff as Ozarka water, straight from a Ft Worth Texas suburb.

boohoo. Fayetteville represents the true ozarks...not those phony imposters! I'm kidding....

Alright, now that we have a stance on the nature center, let's move onto another proposal for NWA.

Back with the whole restaurant thing, we in Benton County seem to be lacking a lot of seafood. I would really like to see something like a Joe's Crab Shack. I think one would be perfect in Pleasant Crossing, since it is centrally located in NW Arkansas, and that's it's going in with a 1.2 Million Square Foot Retail area, along with 3 other equally competitive projects. Even something like an Olive Garden would be accepted, or a Red Lobster.

boohoo. Fayetteville represents the true ozarks...not those phony imposters! I'm kidding....

Well....I must admit I don't necessarily think of Fayetteville when I think of Ozarks. But it certainly fits better than Little Rock. :D But you'll have to excuse my ranting, Matt brought up the nature center topic again and I got out of control. :P

Alright, now that we have a stance on the nature center, let's move onto another proposal for NWA.

Back with the whole restaurant thing, we in Benton County seem to be lacking a lot of seafood. I would really like to see something like a Joe's Crab Shack. I think one would be perfect in Pleasant Crossing, since it is centrally located in NW Arkansas, and that's it's going in with a 1.2 Million Square Foot Retail area, along with 3 other equally competitive projects. Even something like an Olive Garden would be accepted, or a Red Lobster.

True although you guys have gotten things we don't have here in Washington County, you guys are still lacking in some areas.

Plenty, especially in Restaurants.

It seems you guys have so many more local restaurants than we do. Hopefully some of your local businessmen will build locations in Benton County.

True, I think you have to rely more on chains up there. I sometimes hear about some of our local places opening up locations up there but I'm not sure if they've always had a lot of success for some reason.

True, I think you have to rely more on chains up there. I sometimes hear about some of our local places opening up locations up there but I'm not sure if they've always had a lot of success for some reason.

I think Flying Burrito has opened a location in Bentonville.

Bentonville seems to generally take local restaurants in Benton County.

Whole Hog Cafe moved a location there.

Doe's Eat Place is another.

I think Flying Burrito has opened a location in Bentonville.

Bentonville seems to generally take local restaurants in Benton County.

Whole Hog Cafe moved a location there.

Doe's Eat Place is another.

Oh really? I don't think I heard about any of those. Well I take it back I think I had heard about Doe's but had forgotten. I like the Flying Burrito, I'm glad we got some of those burrito places like them and Qdoba around here.

Qdoba and Flying Burrito are both pretty good.

Some pretty good local Restaurants in Bentonville are: Pepper Jacks, Las Fajitas Mexican Grill, Kobe (of course), Celtic Grill, and Crumpet Tea room (also has a location in Rogers).

Rogers has a few, like Las Palmas Mexican Restaurant, and Palms Plaza.

Oh really? I don't think I heard about any of those. Well I take it back I think I had heard about Doe's but had forgotten. I like the Flying Burrito, I'm glad we got some of those burrito places like them and Qdoba around here.

I read the other day where Qdoba is a Jack in the Box venture. I've never been there, there are two of them in the DFW area but there is a ton of competition in that "casual Mexican chain" genre - Taco Cabana, Zuzu, Freebird's. etc. I'll have to try it some time.

Johnny and Arkansawyer will be sorry you brought this up again. I remember spouting off about this when the Arkansas forum first came about. Ft Smith will the location of the 'Ozark' nature center, which I find a joke. It would certainly make sense to have one up here because you have a large population to enjoy it. Honestly I think it's because this area of the state is already doing pretty well so they were put in other areas. Although of course Little Rock made sure to get one. I know it's the capitol and it will be very well used but one here in northwest Arkansas would be very well used too. From what I heard there aren't anymore plans for them. After the Ft Smith and Little Rock ones are built that's it. I suppose maybe another one could be built later by another governor. People of northwest Arkansas band together and let's put a local guy into the governor's seat and then maybe we can get our much deserved nature canter! :D

Mith, the nature center in Forth Smith covers only the River Valley, hence it is named the "Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center." It's not that Northwest Arkansas got snubbed for an Ozark center, but there simply isn't one. The Governor Mike Huckabee Delta Rivers Nature Center in Pine Bluff covers the Delta, and the the Forrest L. Wood Nature Center in Jonesboro covers Crowley's Ridge. I'm not sure on which region the one in Little Rock will focus, but I would guess probably just the Central Region, as naturally non-descriptive as that is. Perhaps it might focus more on the entire state. After the passage of Amendment 75, a conservation sales tax in 1996, the Game and Fish Commission chose these four cities.

I've been to the nature center in Pine Bluff, trully is a great development.

I have too, it really in a nice facility. I believe the only other one open is Jonesboro but I haven't been that way. I got the impression it was just as good as Pine Bluff's if not better. Hopefully the one in Pine Bluff can with other things help the city out. I do get the impression things aren't as bad as they used to be down there. I'm not holding my breath but I still hope that somehow we might get a nature center like these somewhere here in northwest Arkansas. Especially since we are located rather close to some very nice recreational, natural areas like the Buffalo River. While I'm out and about during the weekend taking pictures maybe I should make a stop at the Botanical Garden and see what's going on over there.

Why is the Bank of the Ozarks in Little Rock? I don't even know if they hardly have many branches in the Ozarks.

Well now, it would help to do some research before you get all bent out of shape. :wacko: Bank of the Ozarks was founded in the town of Ozark, Arkansas, hence the name. In order for better growth, the bank move to Little Rock, the financial center of the state. It simply kept the name by which it was known.

They do, in fact, have branches all over the Ozarks. Look at this map.

BOZ%20map%20805.jpg

Notice how they are about to hit the Northwest Arkansas market with new offices very quickly.

There was an article in the Arkansas Business recently about Bank of the Ozarks having nineteen consecutive quarters of record net income growth, and record growth for thirty-three of the past thirty-five quarters. I hope that the Little Rock banking industry continues to grow. It's too bad that our big banks like Worthen and First Commercial were bought out several years ago.

Yeah I know, I got worked up about the nature center again :D . It's weird because i"ve never seen a bank here in Fayetteville, although they claim to have one here. But as far as them making a move here in northwest Arkansas, so is everyone else. There are new banks, new to the area, coming in all over. Not that I blame them, this is a good area to come into. Lots of people needing loans to buy all the houses being built everywhere. But thanks for the info Arkansawyer. I had no idea they started in Ozark. I still find it odd for the hq for them to be in Little Rock though. :lol: Yeah and I do miss Worthen too.

I know what's missing in northwest Arkansas. Some of our posters. I know RemusCal has been around, but he's been a little more quiet than usual. Lefty is still around. But I haven't heard from KJW in a long time. He was a regular forumer for a while. Hopefully we haven't bored him or run him off. I have also been hoping to hear back from NWAboom. He had a very interesting post a little while back.

You guys have too many members anyways :-p

kidding...but seriously, we need more forumers from Central arkansas.

I think we need more from all over the state for that matter. But many of the northwest forumers weren't the type to post a lot like Matt and I do. So it's not that out of balance. Matt and I just have a lot to say. :lol:

I have wondered what has happened to all of the NW Arkansas posters.

I think most of them still come around. They just don't always post as much. Although KJW hasn't been around in quite a while. Hopefully he's just been busy.

I think we need more from all over the state for that matter. But many of the northwest forumers weren't the type to post a lot like Matt and I do. So it's not that out of balance. Matt and I just have a lot to say. :lol:

I think most of them still come around. They just don't always post as much. Although KJW hasn't been around in quite a while. Hopefully he's just been busy.

Yeah, we do post a lot, but I'm glad because it helps create circulation in the forum.

Yeah, we do post a lot, but I'm glad because it helps create circulation in the forum.

Yeah but I guess people like Johnny have a hard time keeping up. That and hopefully we aren't making the other forumers from other parts of the state feel left out or overwhelmed.

Archived