What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

Wet District in Benton County Already exists... they call them private clubs (open to anyone though :-)) Something like Dixon, hopefully once Booze is allowed in the county

Whole Foods or other Upscale Grocer in Pinnacle Area Someone will eventually buy the defunct Market on the Creek Eat This is already in the defunct Market building

Trance Club off Dixon Street or in Downtown Fayetteville Definitely... but it'll get shut down due to too many drug violations Honestly, that's a sterotypical statement

Home Depot in Centerton (5 years) More like 10 years... the new one in Rogers isn't doing too good

Sales are always slow once starting up, give it some time to get sales up

[LaserQuest How about LazerTag at Lokomotion? Doesn't that count? No, Little Rock and similar metro's have a large Laser Tag kind of deal with themed rooms

Children

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eat This is already in the defunct Market building Wasn't the Market an upscale grocer before it went under?

No, Little Rock and similar metro's have a large Laser Tag kind of deal with themed rooms There was a large LazerTag place with themed rooms in Sprindale, but it shut down several years ago.

Public Rock Climbing Wall Lewis & Clark Outfitters stores have a rock climbing wall.

Advance Auto Parts Store in Bentonville, Rogers, or Lowell I was thinking about AutoZone... I can't tell the difference.

I like your list, Matt. Especially the waterpark, aquarium, zoo and Dave and Busters.

I would add a Chuck E. Cheese in Benton County. This is a no-brainer, 100% guaranteed to be a success. I can't tell you how many parents I've heard griping about having to drive all the way to Fayetteville for CEC birthday parties.

We already have several non-denominational Christian elementary schools. There's Benton Co. Christian school in Rogers, Ambassadors for Christ Academy in Bentonville (my kids attend), and a few other small ones, one in Centerton, one in Gentry.

Also, we have several makeup stores. There are Merle Norman's all over (Bville, Rogers, Fay), and an upscale store in Fayetteville. I can't recall the name, maybe Glo? I may be mistaken, but I think Avon is catalog only. So is Mary Kay. Most everything else can be found at Dillard's or Wal-mart. The only lines we are missing are the very upscale, found in department stores like Saks and Neiman Marcus.

More Tech Jobs in Fayetteville There are actually more tech jobs growing in Bentonville than Fayetteville

There was simply a statement saying they need more tech jobs in Fayetteville. And hopefully the new ones in Fayetteville will actually branch off from being a Wal Mart vendor. That's about what, 98% of "tech" jobs in Bentonville? It would be nice to have a Texas instruments plant in Fayetteville. Or something like that.

There was simply a statement saying they need more tech jobs in Fayetteville. And hopefully the new ones in Fayetteville will actually branch off from being a Wal Mart vendor. That's about what, 98% of "tech" jobs in Bentonville? It would be nice to have a Texas instruments plant in Fayetteville. Or something like that.

I would've guessed vendors make up 100% of tech jobs in Bentonville, as well as about 75% of tech jobs in Fayetteville would be my guess. And I agree, Fayetteville or NWA, can use a tech industry that's not dependant on Wal-Mart. I doubt it'll happen because of the low unemployment rate. No company in their right mind would move to NWA unless they're affiliated with Wal-Mart.

Eat This is already in the defunct Market building Wasn't the Market an upscale grocer before it went under? Yes, it was great, one of my good friends used to work there.

Public Rock Climbing Wall Lewis & Clark Outfitters stores have a rock climbing wall I know, but one again, exclusively a public rock climbing wall facility that's just to rock climbing. I'm looking for something bigger than lewis & clark.

I think it is important to note that the Market here was doing good, it was when they branched out into neighboring cities that it all came crumbling done. Once the parent company failed, it eventually made its way back to the local store.

I think it is important to note that the Market here was doing good, it was when they branched out into neighboring cities that it all came crumbling done. Once the parent company failed, it eventually made its way back to the local store.

It was the owner's fault. Once the Tulsa location fell through, the company's other stores were the only source of income and caused the downfall.

Man, that is some list. I would add a Christian Rock/Rap/upbeat music station. 101.1 KLRC sucks in comparison to the Kross in Tulsa, or Air1 in Ft Smith. Also, you can have 7-11. I would take QT's over 7-11 any day.

You are so right about QT - the best place to get gas, hands down. You can't beat their prices, selection and quality of fountain drinks, coffees, etc.

I wouldn't say KLRC sucks, exactly, but I agree some changes would be nice. Definitely a wider variety of music is in order.

You are so right about QT - the best place to get gas, hands down. You can't beat their prices, selection and quality of fountain drinks, coffees, etc.

I wouldn't say KLRC sucks, exactly, but I agree some changes would be nice. Definitely a wider variety of music is in order.

KLRC also needs to remember Who got them there, and devote more time to inspirational messages and less to themselves, IMO. (Common mistake of a college station, I'm guessing.)

Much of the time, we play (over the Web) WWEV Cumming/Atlanta in our store. We used to be a co-sponsor when our store was in the area, but they, too, have a great programming lineup, and it's interspersed with many messages and prayers/prayer requests.

I went and bought, then paid a years subscription to XM all for a Christian Rock station. Then a month later they took the station off the sattelite line up. Not pleased at all. If after my prepaid year is up it does not return I will switching ti Sirius. Sooner if Sirius can get the portable unit like I have with XM, where you can walk around listening to live sattelite radio.

I wish that Northwest Arkansas had a modern art museum. I went to new york for Spring break last year and went to the Museum of Modern Art and was quite enamored with it. Seeing all that modern art from Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol, Richard Diebenkorn, and Wassily Kandinsky in person was an experience after admiring them only in books till then. Also (maybe im naive) I was surprised by the amount of people, it felt like the Pre christmas crowds at NWA Mall (probably more) extremely crowded but I would go all over again. For the area, something more in the gallery size featuring a mixture of well knowns and local modern pieces. But then again maybe NWA is not ready culturally for such an establishment as NWA is conservative and I think that Crystal Bridges Museum is better suited for the area and will have a ready audience than something for a modern art museum. Id lvoe to see a internationally renown architect like Rem Koolhaus, Santiago Calatrava, or Cesar Pelli design something modern and unique yet would still coordinate or make distinct the local surroundings of Northwest Arkansas. What do you guys think about a modern art museum in NWA? Would it work and find a audience in this conservative area?

I wish that Northwest Arkansas had a modern art museum. I went to new york for Spring break last year and went to the Museum of Modern Art and was quite enamored with it. Seeing all that modern art from Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol, Richard Diebenkorn, and Wassily Kandinsky in person was an experience after admiring them only in books till then. Also (maybe im naive) I was surprised by the amount of people, it felt like the Pre christmas crowds at NWA Mall (probably more) extremely crowded but I would go all over again. For the area, something more in the gallery size featuring a mixture of well knowns and local modern pieces. But then again maybe NWA is not ready culturally for such an establishment as NWA is conservative and I think that Crystal Bridges Museum is better suited for the area and will have a ready audience than something for a modern art museum. Id lvoe to see a internationally renown architect like Rem Koolhaus, Santiago Calatrava, or Cesar Pelli design something modern and unique yet would still coordinate or make distinct the local surroundings of Northwest Arkansas. What do you guys think about a modern art museum in NWA? Would it work and find a audience in this conservative area?

The Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art will not be limited to art from the Romantic Period which predated Modern Art. It will have around $50 Million worth of American art and it will also house touring exhibits of American art from around the country. The design of the museum will be the embodiment of Modern Art by incorporating the landscape into the design of the museum. Crystal Bridges will contain sculpture gardens designed by renowned landscape architect Peter Walker, also part of the modernist movement. These gardens will feature the art of prominent American sculptors. The main galleries of the permanent collection will also feature notable sculpted works. It will be a state-of-the-art museum with a "world class" collection of art by America's most influential artists as well as famous "modern" American artists. I do know there will be a nice exhibit of Norman Rockwells in the permanent collection.

I don't think a typical Modern Art Museum would do as well in NWA because of this areas rich American history and very little connection with the outside world, namely France, where the Modern Art movement started. It could be said that the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art will be more of a Museum of American History in Art than a typical art museum. I don't think that modern art forms such as cubism or biomorphism would be as appreciated in NWA as they are in cities that have a larger population of international residents and visitors, like New York City or Los Angeles. I wouldn't mind seeing a small museum or two with Modern Art like the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, FL., but I'm not sure how well they would do here.

I dont think it would do well.

But I am wondering why the fact that the area is conservative came up twice in the last two days? Conservative people can still appreciate art. I as a conservative dont, but I might grow to if exposed to it, much like I did with history. Amazingly my growth of appreciation of history did not effect my socio-political outlook at all. I suspect the same could be said of art. The other subject that "conservative" came up was in racial diversity. We arent all confused by lieing politicians and actualy believe conservative people are racist, are we? Since we just brought up history you may want to do a bit of research and figure out what party actualy fought against the civil rights movement, and what party, even further back, gave the slaves freedom. Conservatives are NOT racist who dont appreciate art. Politicians are liars. Figure out the truth for yourself.

BTW- Sorry for the OT. It was just fresh on my mind. I cant remember what sparked it the other day, maybe a news story, but I remembered how we had been told if Republicans were elected they would reinstitute the draft, take Social Security away from the elderly, among other claims. No draft. Social Security has increased, and I have an even bigger hatred for both parties. I just cant believe how many people are believing these stereotypes though, and think as soon as people from both sides realize these guys are playing us, than we will get rid of them to put in a 3rd, or maybe 4th party that will actualy represent the people. What a wild concept. PEOPLE in governement instead of politicians. Hope I live to see the day.

masons_dad1 I wouldn't mind seeing a small museum or two with Modern Art like the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, FL

I agree with masons_dad1 on having a small modern art museum like the Dali Museum or the Neue Gallerie in Northwest Arkansas (mainly in Fayetteville). It would need a enough of an endowment though for it to survive. I think the museum should be in a building like the Glass House by Phillip Johnson or Farnsworth House by Mies van der Rohe. Those structures blend in perfectly with their surrounds which is similar to in NWA and yet are still unique and recognisable. Such a place could be rented out for events or weddings to help supplement income.

I did not mean to cause a big deal when I said conservative. I did not mean it in a political sense i think I should have phrased it better. I probably should have phrased it the way masons_dad1 put it " the area has a rich American history and very little connection with the outside world....I don't think that modern art forms such as cubism or biomorphism would be as appreciated in NWA". That is just my 2 cents though.

Here are some pics of the Glass House by Philip Johnson

johnson_glass_house.jpg

Johnson%20Glass%20House.jpg

Here is the Farnsworth House by Mies van der Rohe

fh_splash_graphic_3h.jpg

47279C_1.jpg

47279B_1.jpg

I'd like to see some bigger and/or better music venues all over the metro.

Something like Dave's used to be with a little more pizzaz. Maybe like Sticky Fingerz down in Little Rock. The Revolution/Rhumba Room is a great new place down there.

I haven't been to the Ice House in Bentonville, but I've, from what I've heard, this could turn out to be a cool new place.

Powerhouse, George's, The Gypsy, Jose's all have good stuff going on, but I'd like more.

As far as the AMP is concerned...well, in my opinion, it's a little too pricey, especially when they have an act that's anything close to well-known, and the atmosphere is just too bland.

I think the museum should be in a building like the Glass House by Phillip Johnson or Farnsworth House by Mies van der Rohe. Those structures blend in perfectly with their surrounds which is similar to in NWA and yet are still unique and recognisable. Such a place could be rented out for events or weddings to help supplement income.

I like that Glass House. It's a work of art itself. It would be well suited for Northwest Arkansas, especially in the fall with all the fall foliage. Fayetteville would be the best place for a museum of that kind being that it would draw a lot of students from the U of A. I think a sculpture museum would look great in a glass house since most paintings couldn't be exposed to sunlight.

btw Matt...

There is a fairly new Advance Auto Parts Store in Rogers. It's almost right across 71B from O'Reilly's and a few miles south of AutoZone.

And as for an authentic Mexican Restaurant in Benton County check out Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy on Walnut in Rogers. It's on the expensive side and I haven't tried it but after looking at their website it might be worth a try. It sounds more like a Mexican Art Museum than a restaurant.

Just thought you might like to check those off your list. :D

And as for an authentic Mexican Restaurant in Benton County check out Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy on Walnut in Rogers. It's on the expensive side and I haven't tried it but after looking at their website it might be worth a try. It sounds more like a Mexican Art Museum than a restaurant.

Just thought you might like to check those off your list. :D

I'm aware of Abuelo's, and it is fairly authentic. The only thing is that Abuelo's is a chain, and I would like to see an Independant Authentic Mexican Restaurant.

I think we need (sooner than we think) helicopter-based traffic reports for radio and TV stations...maybe stretching from Jane (at "Booze junction") to Fort Smith.

Problem is, I talked with an advertising rep from KNWA (news/talk station in F'ville) and she said that doesn't appear to be on the horizon...however, I asked her about that either early this year or late last year. Kinda like minor league baseball in NWA (at the A level, perhaps) was being talked about 4 years ago in August but it wasn't on the horizon...

Okay, I've been hard at work on this list, some of these things may not be needed for a while, but this list is a compiling of what I would like to see, and what I think is missing in NWA.

It's kind of big. :D

Mosque

An REI or Bass Pro Shops Store

Baptist High School (4A or 5A)

Prestigious High School (Private)

Catholic High School (5A) and another Catholic Elementary School in Rogers or Bentonville

7-11

I'm aware of Abuelo's, and it is fairly authentic. The only thing is that Abuelo's is a chain, and I would like to see an Independant Authentic Mexican Restaurant.

The only Abuelo's down here is actually not in Dallas but Plano. The food's pretty good but I wouldn't exactly consider it authentic.

If you're ever in Hot Springs there's a place called La Hacienda on Central Ave that's excellent. It was pretty much the first Mexican restaurant run by Mexicans in the state. It's very good. They have a few other locations in the LR area now but the original's the best. I bet you'll see one in NWA before long.

In Little Rock there's an authentic to the point of being a "like it or hate it" kind of place called Casa Manana that's very good. They also have a kiosk in the River Market. Out in West LR there's a seafood-slanted version called La Palapa.

Another good big chain version of authentic Mexican is Cozymel's. There's a few in the Dallas area and one in Little Rock on Markham. I actually really like it but Tex-Mex lovers generally don't.

There are a few of the inexpensive sem-authentic (definitely NOT Tex-Mex) places all over NWA. I always kind of liked La Huerta in Fayetteville, though there are similar restaurants all over Arkansas.

Archived