What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, on another note, NW Arkansas has many radio stations but I think we are missing a Hip Hop/R&B/Rap Station.

Any thoughts?

Hard for me to say, I don't really listen to the radio very much. I usually prefer to listen to cds and then don't have to listen to commercials and such. I guess it wouldn't surprise me very much if there wasn't a huge selection of hip hop/r&b/rap stations. I have a pretty broad appreciation for music in general, but I couldn't say those are my particular favorites.

Hard for me to say, I don't really listen to the radio very much. I usually prefer to listen to cds and then don't have to listen to commercials and such. I guess it wouldn't surprise me very much if there wasn't a huge selection of hip hop/r&b/rap stations. I have a pretty broad appreciation for music in general, but I couldn't say those are my particular favorites.

This issue was brought up a while ago, when minorities started flocking to NW Arkansas and realized that we didn't have a rap/hip-hop station. It discouraged a lot of them for staying and along with other culutural aspects convinced many of them to move back home. Yet, I do think there are enough minorities and wannabe's that would listen to that station.

This issue was brought up a while ago, when minorities started flocking to NW Arkansas and realized that we didn't have a rap/hip-hop station. It discouraged a lot of them for staying and along with other culutural aspects convinced many of them to move back home. Yet, I do think there are enough minorities and wannabe's that would listen to that station.

As popular as hip-hop/rap is I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be at least a little bit more coverage here. I imagine it's a matter of time before there would be more. Although I guess because I don't really bother listening to the radio much, I find it odd that I would seriously consider living somewhere because of the radio stations they had.

As popular as hip-hop/rap is I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be at least a little bit more coverage here. I imagine it's a matter of time before there would be more. Although I guess because I don't really bother listening to the radio much, I find it odd that I would seriously consider living somewhere because of the radio stations they had.

Well, it was also due to the fact that there wasn't things like a jazz night club, African American Civic Clubs, no true "soul food" restaurants, and no African American neighborhoods.

Apparently things like that can make one feel not welcome in a community.

Well, it was also due to the fact that there wasn't things like a jazz night club, African American Civic Clubs, no true "soul food" restaurants, and no African American neighborhoods.

Apparently things like that can make one feel not welcome in a community.

Yeah when you put it like that. I do know that Tyson tried getting Afro-American from southern Arkansas into the factories but few wanted to come. It doesn't help being a part of the Ozarks. But I think Fayetteville is about the only city that has attracted much of an Afro-American community in northwest Arkansas. I know I've talked to some friends who happen to be Afro-American and they were hesitant to live in northwest Arkansas. But after they got here and saw that the KKK wasn't going to come after them they really liked what they saw. I think it also helps having the UofA here. It also helps make Fayetteville a more liberal city compared to the rest of northwest Arkansas.

Yeah when you put it like that. I do know that Tyson tried getting Afro-American from southern Arkansas into the factories but few wanted to come. It doesn't help being a part of the Ozarks. But I think Fayetteville is about the only city that has attracted much of an Afro-American community in northwest Arkansas. I know I've talked to some friends who happen to be Afro-American and they were hesitant to live in northwest Arkansas. But after they got here and saw that the KKK wasn't going to come after them they really liked what they saw. I think it also helps having the UofA here. It also helps make Fayetteville a more liberal city compared to the rest of northwest Arkansas.

That is true, I think that movement will eventually spread up into Bentonville and Rogers sometime in the future.

Wal-mart has taken a stand to hire Afro-Americans at the Home Office.

That is true, I think that movement will eventually spread up into Bentonville and Rogers sometime in the future.

Wal-mart has taken a stand to hire Afro-Americans at the Home Office.

Yes and I think minorities in general. I have seen people with non southern accents around Fayetteville shopping and hearing them mention that they live in Benton County and work for Wal-mart of a vendor doing work for Wal-mart.

Another thing that I would like to see in the area, is a really big hotel besides the Radisson and the Mountain Inn Project.

I think that may'be a Hyatt or something of that magnitude would be excellent. It would spark more urban development and be a great asset to the area. Plus, Washington county could take back some of what the Embassy Suites in Rogers has taken.

Another thing that I would like to see in the area, is a really big hotel besides the Radisson and the Mountain Inn Project.

I think that may'be a Hyatt or something of that magnitude would be excellent. It would spark more urban development and be a great asset to the area. Plus, Washington county could take back some of what the Embassy Suites in Rogers has taken.

I keep forgetting the new project is called Renaissance Tower where the former Mountain Inn was located. Now there is going to be a hotel involved with that. The developers are working with someone but aren't giving out a name until the deal is final. So who knows who it will be. But from what I've read it sounds like they plan on it being an upscale type hotel. From my impression something better than what we have now, the Radisson. You've probably already seen but there's a picture of the development in my pictures of Fayetteville topic.

Are you equating being conservative to being less accepting of other races? If so, give me a break! I'd say that good Christian conservatives are better at seeing the value of all people, rather than just using them as political pawns.

Are you equating being conservative to being less accepting of other races? If so, give me a break! I'd say that good Christian conservatives are better at seeing the value of all people, rather than just using them as political pawns.

No I was just referring to the fact that minorities tend to be more liberal than conservative. As in referring that Afro-Americans might be more willing to live in a more liberal city. But I suppose that too might be viewed as a stereotype and therefore I probably shouldn't have assumed people's political views and made that comment.

No I was just referring to the fact that minorities tend to be more liberal than conservative. As in referring that Afro-Americans might be more willing to live in a more liberal city. But I suppose that too might be viewed as a stereotype and therefore I probably shouldn't have assumed people's political views and made that comment.

Being Afro-American myself I would never step foot in Benton County. Are you kidding me. Benton County is Arkansas' example of the Eastern Memphis suburbs. In the few times I have been there I've yet to see another Black individual. The Police do not help the situation out either. Don't tell me if you live in Benton County you would not look twice if a Black individual was driving around one of your pleasant little gated communities. Fayetteville is the only town with even the slightest hint of being excepting of a race or culture other than the status quo. And don't act like you are accepting the overcrowding Hispanic culture either. You maybe able to live with them but as with the Blacks you would never step foot in the Hispanic part of town.

Being Afro-American myself I would never step foot in Benton County. Are you kidding me. Benton County is Arkansas' example of the Eastern Memphis suburbs. In the few times I have been there I've yet to see another Black individual. The Police do not help the situation out either. Don't tell me if you live in Benton County you would not look twice if a Black individual was driving around one of your pleasant little gated communities. Fayetteville is the only town with even the slightest hint of being excepting of a race or culture other than the status quo. And don't act like you are accepting the overcrowding Hispanic culture either. You maybe able to live with them but as with the Blacks you would never step foot in the Hispanic part of town.

I actually used to live in a hispanic neighborhood over near Lingle Middle School in Rogers. I didn't mind it at all one bit and it was always interesting to see them celebrating certain holidays like Independance Day for Mexico, Dia de los Muertos, and Los Posadas. There are a lot of people hesitant up here about minorities, but I think conditions are getting better.

Truthfully, I think there are a sizeable number of closet racists in NWA.... and that's just my experience from NWA students. It seems they are the most unaccepting bunch of all.

I don't think anyone here represents those closet racists....

I agree with you Johnny. Our area hasn't really experience minorites until the past 15 years or so. A lot of people are changing, and things just take time I guess. I think that we could benefit a lot from having a large minority crowd, with more cultural diversity.

Well, I probably think of something every day I'd like to see here. But for some reason, right now I can only think of one thing... a Macaroni Grill. hah, okay, let me think a little...

Well, I would like to see more guitar stores. But I don't really know how many could be supported. We need a bigger music scene around here. That would be pretty cool. So I guess I'd like to see a real music venue somewhere. Yeah, there's the AMP http://www.arkansasmusicpavilion.com/ But come on, it's in the Mall parking lot. And it's only during the summer I think.

It would also be nice if more tech companies opened up shop. I plan to work in the technical field when I graduate from college in a few months, but there's not too many places to do it in the area. Yeah, I can work for Wal-Mart, but who wants to be underpaid and overworked.

I don't really care about amusement parks, I never like those things very much.

That's all I can really think of right now.

I could see a Macaroni Grill coming to NW Arkansas. Also like a Tony Roma's or something.

Rogers is supposed to be constructing a real Music Pavillion that will be permanent in Downtown. I don't know how big it will be, but it's supposed to be there all year long.

I think there's a lot of potential for tech companies in Fayetteville. I would really like to see them open a few office towers in Downtown Fayetteville for this, and hopefully put Fayetteville more on the map.

I could see a Macaroni Grill coming to NW Arkansas. Also like a Tony Roma's or something.

Rogers is supposed to be constructing a real Music Pavillion that will be permanent in Downtown. I don't know how big it will be, but it's supposed to be there all year long.

I think there's a lot of potential for tech companies in Fayetteville. I would really like to see them open a few office towers in Downtown Fayetteville for this, and hopefully put Fayetteville more on the map.

Yeah I'm a little surprised those two restaurants haven't looked more seriously into coming into the area. Although I'm not certain, maybe they tend to hit metros a little larger than what we have at the present.

Yeah I mentioned something about a stage being built in Rogers. I got the impression somewhere downtown near a park. I thought I also heard something about them having to permanently closing down a lane or two on one of the roads there. But I didn't hear which road it was. I'm not sure if it will be somehting like the AMP we have here in Fayetteville. But I did get the impression it would be permanent. And yes I'd also like to see Fayetteville get more tech jobs also. That's something that the area and Arkansas for that matter are really lacking.

Yeah I'm a little surprised those two restaurants haven't looked more seriously into coming into the area. Although I'm not certain, maybe they tend to hit metros a little larger than what we have at the present.

Yeah I mentioned something about a stage being built in Rogers. I got the impression somewhere downtown near a park. I thought I also heard something about them having to permanently closing down a lane or two on one of the roads there. But I didn't hear which road it was. I'm not sure if it will be somehting like the AMP we have here in Fayetteville. But I did get the impression it would be permanent. And yes I'd also like to see Fayetteville get more tech jobs also. That's something that the area and Arkansas for that matter are really lacking.

It should be permanent built next to the downtown Frisco Station park. I think they want to close a portion of Elm Street for the development.

It should be permanent built next to the downtown Frisco Station park. I think they want to close a portion of Elm Street for the development.

Well it's nice to see the area moving in this direction. I'd like to see more music events and such in the area. I think they designed our AMP after similar pavillions in Denver and one other city that escapes me at the moment.

Well it's nice to see the area moving in this direction. I'd like to see more music events and such in the area. I think they designed our AMP after similar pavillions in Denver and one other city that escapes me at the moment.

I'm hoping this stage will be pretty big and will hopefully attract some mid-rise condo developments, or some nice downtownlike restaurants.

I'm hoping this stage will be pretty big and will hopefully attract some mid-rise condo developments, or some nice downtownlike restaurants.

Maybe I've overlooked this but there hasn't been too much condo development around Rogers yet is there? The only thing I can think of off hand is the big development on Beaver Lake. But anyway I think the stage will just improve the overall aspect of Rogers and will certainly help it will other developments in the future.

Maybe I've overlooked this but there hasn't been too much condo development around Rogers yet is there? The only thing I can think of off hand is the big development on Beaver Lake. But anyway I think the stage will just improve the overall aspect of Rogers and will certainly help it will other developments in the future.

I am suprised but it has been extremely overlooked.

I think the condos out near Beaver Lake are going to go to the older retiree crowd, while condos could be developed in Downtown Rogers just for everyday people.

I am suprised but it has been extremely overlooked.

I think the condos out near Beaver Lake are going to go to the older retiree crowd, while condos could be developed in Downtown Rogers just for everyday people.

Maybe the condo movement will hit Rogers after some of these other development are done in the near future. There are some nice developments taking place in Rogers now but I don't think everything is going to happen overnight. I think what Rogers has going now is pretty impressive in itself. For that matter sometimes things go in cycles. We've had some slow periods here in Fayetteville when there wasn't a whole lot going on.

Archived