What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

NWA doesn't have a Land Rover/Jag dealership, do they?

A lot of people were talking about mosques, Hindu temples, etc. The main reason Little Rock has all of thse is because of UAMS and the large medical community - a huge chunk of the physicians and researchers are Middle Eastern or Indian. There are actually two mosques, one largely frequented by American blacks and the other by immigrant Middle Easterners and Pakistanis.

No northwest Arkansas doesn't have any of those dealerships yet. And all the numbers on mosques and temples make sense. Little Rock is by far the biggest city and it would make sense that they would attract more people of foreign origin than smaller cities. Fayetteville has mainly benefited from all of this because of all the international students the U of A has. I would be nice if some of these students would start feeling comfortable enough to start staying around after they graduated.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that a moped kind of dealership?

I think I have heard of them, but not sure.

Yeah it's a type of scooter. Pretty big over in Europe. They aren't the cheap type of moped you're probably accustomed to thinking of though. Better built and more more durable than most of the cheap ones you have probably seen. I thought I saw somewhere they get 60 to 70 miles to the gallon and that they usually only take around $5 to fill up. I could see something like this being successful here in Fayetteville.

Yeah it's a type of scooter. Pretty big over in Europe. They aren't the cheap type of moped you're probably accustomed to thinking of though. Better built and more more durable than most of the cheap ones you have probably seen. I thought I saw somewhere they get 60 to 70 miles to the gallon and that they usually only take around $5 to fill up. I could see something like this being successful here in Fayetteville.

I was going to say because of the university in Fayetteville, there should be one near there.

There's a lot of jaguars in this area, but I think it's a little to early to put one in now. If we wait may'be 5 or so years, I think one would do good especially in Benton County.

I did some research and there are actually two buddhist temples in NWA. One is in Sprindale called Wat-Thepnimith Xaimongkoon Buddhist temple as I thought, and the other is in Fayetteville which is called Morning Star Zen Center.

Mith have you seen the new Supercenter up here in Rogers. If you haven't you should see it whenever you're in Rogers.

I was going to say because of the university in Fayetteville, there should be one near there.

There's a lot of jaguars in this area, but I think it's a little to early to put one in now. If we wait may'be 5 or so years, I think one would do good especially in Benton County.

I did some research and there are actually two buddhist temples in NWA. One is in Sprindale called Wat-Thepnimith Xaimongkoon Buddhist temple as I thought, and the other is in Fayetteville which is called Morning Star Zen Center.

Mith have you seen the new Supercenter up here in Rogers. If you haven't you should see it whenever you're in Rogers.

Weird I never could get any from northwest Arkansas to pop up on any of my searches. I guess I'm a little surprised about Springdale, I know aside from hispanics they have quite a few Marshallese but I don't think they are buddhist.

I've driven by the new Supercenter but I haven't stopped at it or anything. Is it really that much better than any of the other supercenters around here?

Weird I never could get any from northwest Arkansas to pop up on any of my searches. I guess I'm a little surprised about Springdale, I know aside from hispanics they have quite a few Marshallese but I don't think they are buddhist.

I've driven by the new Supercenter but I haven't stopped at it or anything. Is it really that much better than any of the other supercenters around here?

It's just got a lot of cool features like a kiosk for your bakery, the biggest meat selection in the area, brown earth friendly floors, hundreds of skylights, drive up pharmacy, and a machine that will allow you to burn songs onto disks. It's not the coolest thing in Benton County, but it's worth it to see it atleast once. It just looks different. If you're ever on Pleasant Grove Road in Rogers, stop by and see it.

It's just got a lot of cool features like a kiosk for your bakery, the biggest meat selection in the area, brown earth friendly floors, hundreds of skylights, drive up pharmacy, and a machine that will allow you to burn songs onto disks. It's not the coolest thing in Benton County, but it's worth it to see it atleast once. It just looks different. If you're ever on Pleasant Grove Road in Rogers, stop by and see it.

I do need to try to see more of Benton County. Whenever I get around to looking around up there I'll keep that in mind.

Scottsdale and Pinnacle Area should also be on your list.

Scottsdale is probably the only are of Rogers I know well. Whenever I feel I have to go watch a movie at the theater it's at Scottsdale. I also have gone up every once in a while to eat around there.

Scottsdale is probably the only are of Rogers I know well. Whenever I feel I have to go watch a movie at the theater it's at Scottsdale. I also have gone up every once in a while to eat around there.

It's got a lot to offer, although traffic is awful.

Here's a list of things in Scottsdale Center for Everyone not familiar with the area.

Entertainment:

Malco 12 Screen Digital Theatre

Restaurants

Famous Daves BBQ

Copelands New Orleanes Restaurant

On The Border

Abuelos Mexican Embassy

O'Charley's

Chili's

Applebees

Colton's Steakhouse

Dixie Cafe

Johnny Carinos

Chick-Fil-A

McDonald's

Hotels

Residence Inn by Mariott

Candlewood Suites

Fairfield Inn by Mariott

Hampton Inn

Retail

Lowe's Home Improvement

Belk Department Store

Old Navy

Pier 1

Linen's and Things

Barnes and Noble w/ Starbucks outlet

Kohl's

Chico's

Gap and Gap Women

Shoe Department

Men's Wearhouse

Petco (opening in 2006 or so)

Banks

Arvest

An update on the stage that Rogers is building downtown.

It will cost around $65,000 and construction should start soon.

Have you heard any plans on what or who they would like to use the stage? Any particular performers and type of performance they are looking for?

Have you heard any plans on what or who they would like to use the stage? Any particular performers and type of performance they are looking for?

Not really, but they are hoping it will completly revitalize Downtown. I'm not sure even how big it's going to be, 65,000 doesnt seem like a lot.

I've stated this comment before, but I thought it would go with this topic as well.

Do you think another grocery store could come into NWA?

May'be like a Kroger or Albertsons. Personally, I would shop at one of these grocery stores since they offer a little more upscale and aren't as busy as Wal-Mart. I like Harps, but I would like to see something else in the area.

Any thoughts?

I've stated this comment before, but I thought it would go with this topic as well.

Do you think another grocery store could come into NWA?

May'be like a Kroger or Albertsons. Personally, I would shop at one of these grocery stores since they offer a little more upscale and aren't as busy as Wal-Mart. I like Harps, but I would like to see something else in the area.

Any thoughts?

Do you remember where people in NWA shopped for groceries before Supercenters came along? Little Rock has several Kroger stores, but that chain had a strong enough presence in Little Rock to withstand Wal-Mart. It would be difficult for a new store to come in and be successful where Wal-Mart is already established. Hot Springs had a very nice Albertson's store, but it went under soon after the new Supercenter opened. They do have some Kroger stores, though.

Do you remember where people in NWA shopped for groceries before Supercenters came along? Little Rock has several Kroger stores, but that chain had a strong enough presence in Little Rock to withstand Wal-Mart. It would be difficult for a new store to come in and be successful where Wal-Mart is already established. Hot Springs had a very nice Albertson's store, but it went under soon after the new Supercenter opened. They do have some Kroger stores, though.

I'm not sure how long Harps has been around, but I would say them. I just see a lot of new out of towners moving in who come from places all over the U.S. and World. Now, not everyone likes shopping at a Wal-Mart because of traffic, amount of customers, and that whole bargain image. Some people would rather shop at a strict grocery store, and we do have Harps, but I think the people would like to see something a little bit different. May'be a Kroger would be nice.

Yeah Harp's has been around 75 years, they are celebrating their anniversary pretty soon. Albertson's tried buying out Harp's a while back ago but weren't successful. Other than that I don't think any grocery company has seriously looked into the area. Just about all of them seem more concerned with not losing more ground to Wal-mart and aren't looking to move in into their backyard. But I think the area could use something like a Kroger's or Albertson's. But I'm not sure if either will will come anytime soon if ever. Albertson's already scaled back in Oklahoma and aren't likely to want to make a bold move into this area of Arkansas. Marvin's IGA is still around with a few stores but they've already filed bankruptcy last year. I think there may be a few CV's too. I think that's the name, I think they are more up in Benton County than Washington County. But outside a few miscellaneous stores it's pretty muvh just Wal-mart and Harp's. I think Harp's just opened their 50th store in west Fayetteville and will be opening another store near Tontitown next year.

Yeah Harp's has been around 75 years, they are celebrating their anniversary pretty soon. Albertson's tried buying out Harp's a while back ago but weren't successful. Other than that I don't think any grocery company has seriously looked into the area. Just about all of them seem more concerned with not losing more ground to Wal-mart and aren't looking to move in into their backyard. But I think the area could use something like a Kroger's or Albertson's. But I'm not sure if either will will come anytime soon if ever. Albertson's already scaled back in Oklahoma and aren't likely to want to make a bold move into this area of Arkansas. Marvin's IGA is still around with a few stores but they've already filed bankruptcy last year. I think there may be a few CV's too. I think that's the name, I think they are more up in Benton County than Washington County. But outside a few miscellaneous stores it's pretty muvh just Wal-mart and Harp's. I think Harp's just opened their 50th store in west Fayetteville and will be opening another store near Tontitown next year.

Are you talking about CVS Pharmacy, because I don't think they have any locations in the state, but they should consider expansion over here.

There is a lack of grocery stores in Benton County. May'be a nice Harps or something on the North side of Rogers would be a good thing. If they put it by 102, then it would catch all of the busy traffic that Bentonville gets. Even a Kroger would do well. We just need a little bit more up here, because our grocery stores are extremely crowded.

On another note, another car dealership that should consider a location in NW Arkansas is Audi.

Are you talking about CVS Pharmacy, because I don't think they have any locations in the state, but they should consider expansion over here.

There is a lack of grocery stores in Benton County. May'be a nice Harps or something on the North side of Rogers would be a good thing. If they put it by 102, then it would catch all of the busy traffic that Bentonville gets. Even a Kroger would do well. We just need a little bit more up here, because our grocery stores are extremely crowded.

On another note, another car dealership that should consider a location in NW Arkansas is Audi.

I'm not positive on the name I thought it was something like CV's or CB's or something along those lines. I don't know because there isn't one here in Fayetteville. There could be one in Springdale but I thought the few that were around were more around Benton County. But still we're only talking about a few stores. I haven't heard any rumors about Harp's building on the north side of Rogers but I've heard they might be looking into the Pinnacle area. I think they opened one at Centerton last year or something in that area.

I'm not positive on the name I thought it was something like CV's or CB's or something along those lines. I don't know because there isn't one here in Fayetteville. There could be one in Springdale but I thought the few that were around were more around Benton County. But still we're only talking about a few stores. I haven't heard any rumors about Harp's building on the north side of Rogers but I've heard they might be looking into the Pinnacle area. I think they opened one at Centerton last year or something in that area.

A harps in the Pinnacle Area?

Don't get me wrong, but I think they would want to see a more upscale grocer come into that area. There is land next to the New Home Depot in Rogers in the Pinnacle Springs area that is looking for a perspectable tenant. We used to have a Harps in Rogers, but they turned it into a Harps Supermercado that is aimed only for the hispanic crowd. I think Harp's move on that was pretty poor, because the Harps store did just fine, but they thought there was bigger opportunity for a Hispanic Store. It really persuaded a lot more people to shop at Wal-Mart because there isn't a Harps. We do have a Price Cutter, but it's on Dixeland Street.

A harps in the Pinnacle Area?

Don't get me wrong, but I think they would want to see a more upscale grocer come into that area. There is land next to the New Home Depot in Rogers in the Pinnacle Springs area that is looking for a perspectable tenant. We used to have a Harps in Rogers, but they turned it into a Harps Supermercado that is aimed only for the hispanic crowd. I think Harp's move on that was pretty poor, because the Harps store did just fine, but they thought there was bigger opportunity for a Hispanic Store. It really persuaded a lot more people to shop at Wal-Mart because there isn't a Harps. We do have a Price Cutter, but it's on Dixeland Street.

I heard the store they changed into the supermercado was losing sales and that there was a Price Cutter near there so they decided to change that one. But yes it is a little strange they don't have a Harp's at all there. Their Price Cutters are a bit different. I agree Harp's probably wouldn't be upscale enough for Pinnacle, but I have heard they have considered locations there. They did put out that supermercado, I suppose maybe they could try to put in a more gourmet type grocery store and perhaps pull it off. Since we're on the subject of grocery stores did anyone notice that Kroger's is trying to buy out Albertson's. I've heard Kroger's has been doing okay so far against Wal-mart and this move might even help them hold their own against Wal-mart. I larger company like that might start considering a move to northwest Arkansas more seriously.

I heard the store they changed into the supermercado was losing sales and that there was a Price Cutter near there so they decided to change that one. But yes it is a little strange they don't have a Harp's at all there. Their Price Cutters are a bit different. I agree Harp's probably wouldn't be upscale enough for Pinnacle, but I have heard they have considered locations there. They did put out that supermercado, I suppose maybe they could try to put in a more gourmet type grocery store and perhaps pull it off. Since we're on the subject of grocery stores did anyone notice that Kroger's is trying to buy out Albertson's. I've heard Kroger's has been doing okay so far against Wal-mart and this move might even help them hold their own against Wal-mart. I larger company like that might start considering a move to northwest Arkansas more seriously.

If those two combinded it would create a company with 5,000 grocery stores!! It could be possible in the distant future for them to build a location in NW Arkansas. I'm not sure where they would build, but it seems like Springdale has quite a few grocery stores along with Fayetteville. Bentonville is the home of Wal-mart so I wouldn't see them coming into there, but Rogers is lacking grocery stores, with single family and multi-family homes being developed on all sides of Rogers.

If those two combinded it would create a company with 5,000 grocery stores!! It could be possible in the distant future for them to build a location in NW Arkansas. I'm not sure where they would build, but it seems like Springdale has quite a few grocery stores along with Fayetteville. Bentonville is the home of Wal-mart so I wouldn't see them coming into there, but Rogers is lacking grocery stores, with single family and multi-family homes being developed on all sides of Rogers.

If they did come I wonder if they could try to muscle out Harp's at least in some of the more populated areas of northwest Arkansas. I don't know if Harp's could handle competition from both Wal-mart and a Kroger/Albertson's. I mean I don't they'd just roll over or anything. But I think holding their own against Wal-mart would be hard enough and to have another major chain come in wouldn't help.

If they did come I wonder if they could try to muscle out Harp's at least in some of the more populated areas of northwest Arkansas. I don't know if Harp's could handle competition from both Wal-mart and a Kroger/Albertson's. I mean I don't they'd just roll over or anything. But I think holding their own against Wal-mart would be hard enough and to have another major chain come in wouldn't help.

I wonder if they would buy out Harps, and then simply start in NW Arkansas with 10+ locations?

I wonder if they would buy out Harps, and then simply start in NW Arkansas with 10+ locations?

I don't think they'd sell to them. Albertson's tried to buy out some of the Harps or all of it and sell off the stores they didn't want 5 or so years ago. I don't think Harp's wants to be relegated to only the smaller towns in the area.

Archived