Favorite Old Photographs

Wordsmith

I know that most everyone is familiar with the WSU Virtual Motor City and as someone who has never had the chance to experience Detroit as it was meant to be, i.e. thriving, and as a History major I have an avid interest in looking at old photographs. I essentially created this thread to post old photographs that you enjoy whether they are from the collection or not.

Metro Detroit, pre-suburbs, 1920s:

schoolroad.gif

Christmastide window display staring, 1920s:

boytoystorewind.gif

WS

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I never knew that Crowley's arch (or the building for that matter) existed and am reasonably upset with jealousy and regret for something I had no part in destroying... Just something else that makes me sympathetic to "Chicago Envy" as someone else once coined it. When gorgeous things like that are being replicated I'll feel better.

A neighborhood corner:

crosswalk.gif

WS

Having one of those "Why did they leave it all behind? Someone please tell me..." moments. It just kills me that those in the suburbs feel like they have the right to be upset about the city's decline and then the active facilitation of suburban design now... No one made you leave your home, no one made you close your business... And please, please build up to the curb, this isn't Farmington Hills, this is Detroit for god's sake. You don't need a car that damn much... I'm sorry to admit it, but it's disgusting. I'm obviously having one of those nights.

WS

Crowley's closed in the 80s, I believe. Demolition came not long after.

Btw, I just noticed that there used to be a parking deck at Farmer & Gratiot where that free gravel lot is now. I guess there was so much demand for parking that they plowed it over to build the lot. I think the long-term plan for the site is residential, but time will tell....

I don't get what doesn't look right about it Library passes under the garage in about same manner ending at Monroe. You are right Library, it use end at Lafayette the garage next to the National Theater cut that section off.

The Compuware building and its garage are connected over Farmer, not Library. The former route of Library would be right through the middle of the Compuware garage block.

Archived