Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wordsmith

Favorite Old Photographs

I know that most everyone is familiar with the WSU Virtual Motor City and as someone who has never had the chance to experience Detroit as it was meant to be, i.e. thriving, and as a History major I have an avid interest in looking at old photographs. I essentially created this thread to post old photographs that you enjoy whether they are from the collection or not.

Metro Detroit, pre-suburbs, 1920s:

schoolroad.gif

Christmastide window display staring, 1920s:

boytoystorewind.gif

WS

These are some great scenes...ones not often posted online. I love them...they really capture what life in the city was like back then.

Okay, I never knew that Crowley's arch (or the building for that matter) existed and am reasonably upset with jealousy and regret for something I had no part in destroying... Just something else that makes me sympathetic to "Chicago Envy" as someone else once coined it. When gorgeous things like that are being replicated I'll feel better.

A neighborhood corner:

crosswalk.gif

WS

Scripps Park:

ScrippsParkwater.gif

Bagley Fountain, Palmer Park:

MerPalmParkFount.gif

Boarding the Grand River line, downtown:

GdRiverRailline.gif

New Winkelman's store soon:

WinkelmansThursOpener.gif

Teamster's picket grocery at 2nd and Euclid:

2ndEuclidpicket.gif

WS

You may have noticed that the Compuware garage spans over two streets. Well that's where Crowley's was when they closed their downtown store it was demolished.

Here view from the east you can the two Crowley buildings in the foreground

crowley.jpg

From the west

c3.jpg

Having one of those "Why did they leave it all behind? Someone please tell me..." moments. It just kills me that those in the suburbs feel like they have the right to be upset about the city's decline and then the active facilitation of suburban design now... No one made you leave your home, no one made you close your business... And please, please build up to the curb, this isn't Farmington Hills, this is Detroit for god's sake. You don't need a car that damn much... I'm sorry to admit it, but it's disgusting. I'm obviously having one of those nights.

WS

There are several photos from Crowley's demolition in the 1980s on virtual motor city. It's kind of depressing....

Crowley's closed in the 80s, I believe. Demolition came not long after.

Btw, I just noticed that there used to be a parking deck at Farmer & Gratiot where that free gravel lot is now. I guess there was so much demand for parking that they plowed it over to build the lot. I think the long-term plan for the site is residential, but time will tell....

Something didn't quite look right about the Crowley's arch and the fact that it passed over Library. According to old maps, Library extended down to Lafayette instead of truncating at Gratiot. The Compuware garage is now on that block.

I don't get what doesn't look right about it Library passes under the garage in about same manner ending at Monroe. You are right Library, it use end at Lafayette the garage next to the National Theater cut that section off.

I don't get what doesn't look right about it Library passes under the garage in about same manner ending at Monroe. You are right Library, it use end at Lafayette the garage next to the National Theater cut that section off.

The Compuware building and its garage are connected over Farmer, not Library. The former route of Library would be right through the middle of the Compuware garage block.

Metro Detroit, pre-suburbs, 1920s:

schoolroad.gif

I keep looking at this picture and thinking that this should have been preserved somehow... But that house is probably long gone. :(

WS