Favorite Old Photographs

Wordsmith

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I love that map! I've been trying to find an original for months now. Kraemer Design Group has one on the wall in their office. I wish I knew where they got it.

It's funny to see how some of the parking lots have always been parking lots.

• 1 month later...

Just running a search online for 1936 Tricycles, it led me to this site, which in turn led me to these pictures (I sincerely hope they don't mind, it's from Jim & Alice Fleming's 50th Wedding anniversary site):

http://jimandalice.com/photos/JimbeforeAlice/index.html

(Their captions not mine)

photo0.jpg

Creating the lawn at 7720 Vaughan, Detroit

photo1.jpg

Sitting on the porch of the new house at 7720 Vaughan

photo2.jpg

Winters were so cold then ...

photo5.jpg

His car?

WS

Those were great pictures of old Detroit.

It seems several people are blaming the decline of Detroit on the people who moved out of the city and to the suburbs. But I doubt they all woke up one morning and decided to get out. There were reasons for the move to the suburbs, with rising crime in the 50's and 60's the root of it. Bad public policy resulted in replacing the working class who moved out with the non-working poor, both black and white, which contributed to a snowballing effect. This often called white flight happened in major cities all across the US, and many, including Detroit, have yet to fully recover. And that's about as PC as I can get regarding this issue.

Wow, these old pictures are great. I love that one of 1976 Detroit with the Trolley and the Book-Cadillac still open. I hope they finally start work on getting that thing going again. It was a shame to see the Statler go...I took my grandparents who are in their mid-80's down there this summer, and I pointed it out to them, it was probably about halfway torn down at that point. They then told me that is where they spent their wedding night. It was so saddening for them to see the City in its condition. Although I told them...its alot better right now than it was just a few years ago. I took them by their house in Highland Park....pretty much the whole neighborhood is trashed. But hopefully pieces from Detroit's history like the Book-Cadillac will be restored to their former glory.

From WS and Allan's convo earlier in this thread, I was inspired to share my houses Milk Door with y'all.

milkdoor.jpg

I took my grandparents who are in their mid-80's down there this summer, and I pointed it out to them, it was probably about halfway torn down at that point. They then told me that is where they spent their wedding night. It was so saddening for them to see the City in its condition. ... I took them by their house in Highland Park....pretty much the whole neighborhood is trashed.

That's really sad :(

That 60's picture is neat. is 1 woodward under construction? is that a christmas tree lot?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived