A new "urbanist" project in Atlanta burbs

sleepy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Yes, it's part of the south Fulton Chattahochee Hill Country property, a planned community designed to preserve greenspace. The principal being, most of that portion of the county is still farmland & forests along the river, but recently a large amount of interest has developed - several massive developments have been announced.

I finally read the article - I was already aware of the project but now had to time to read it. It does provide some optimism of how we can build suburbia, essentially replicating the small town community. I especially liked the homes they showed - authentic southern home designs.

I have a friend who's building down there, and have visited the Serenbe B&B myself. South Fulton is incredibly beautiful and still amazingly rural. Cool little towns like Rico, Palmetto and Rivertown. I hope it doesn't go the way of North Fulton.

Cochran Mill Nature Preserve, which is like 1,000 acres or something, is worth a visit if you like tramping around in the woods.

A favorite place that we like to go - is Campbellton. This is a small village on the Chattahoochee River that can be easily ignored. But it was once the county seat for Campbell County, covering parts of Coweta & Fulton County. I would recommend driving along Cochran Rd from the north, which is a dirt road that meanders along the river by horse farms & ponds. There you will come up to the town center, which is off of the state highway that goes by the edge. There are a few cemetaries that date back to the mid 1800's & a just a few buildings that are old, particularly an old house that has likely since the last time I've been there fallen down. But it's interesting to see this small street grid with very few buildings. The most notable monument is a historic marker indicating the history of the town.

A favorite place that we like to go - is Campbellton. This is a small village on the Chattahoochee River that can be easily ignored. But it was once the county seat for Campbell County, covering parts of Coweta & Fulton County.

Don't forget Douglas County! That's where a good bit of my county came from (most of the rest came from Carroll). I've always found the most interesting part of Campbellton to be the courthouse from back when it was the county seat. Of course, a good bit of South Fulton is Campbell.

campbell.jpg

I had linked to this development in my 85 South thread on the Georgia Forum.

It's good to see that they're getting some recognition for this project. I am hopefull that the Chattahoochee Hill Country Alliance is successful with their efforts of preserving this part of Metro Atlanta.

If any of you get down that way to see Serenbe, continue on down Campbellton-Redwine Road (Hwy 70) into Coweta County. Once you pass through the community of Roscoe you'll come to Dunaway Gardens. This is a hidden gem in the Metro Area. It is a shame more people don't go to see it.

Archived