Palmetto Geography

Jerseyman4

Thanks for your explanations. But I'm not sure to know how you call a road looking like an interstate, freeway, parkway ? There is the state highway 22, going around Conway (interchange with the Cardina Bay parkway near to Crescent Beach). Also the Robert E Graham fwy in sumter. How you qualify them ?

Yes, all our "autoroutes" look like interstates. The A7 is one of our oldest autoroute, it links Lyon and Marseille. A part of this "autoroute" will be suppress, this part is a viaduct of about 2 km (~1,24 mi) situated inside Marseille. A "voie express" is building in the eastern faubourgs of Marseille, this highway is called L2, half in tunnel, there is also the BUS project (Boulevard Urbain Sud).

Equivalences :

Interstates = Autoroutes

US highways ~ Routes Nationales (53 000 km/33 000 mi of these national roads were confered to the departements in 1972, and 18 000 km/11 000 mi, in 2004). Some Routes Nationales look like an interstate, for example the N 351 in Lille.

State highways ~ Routes Departementales Some "D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't abbreviate Horry County in that map, if you know what I mean.

Aight...I just blew snot outta my nose when I read that one!

You don't know what is a roundabout ? It's not an american word ? :unsure:

Yes we are familiar with the term. In fact Spartanburg uses one called Herron Circle. IMO most cities in the US view the "roundabout" as dangerous and time consuming for some (ie. overly-cautious drivers).

The diagonal position of South Carolina is particular.

Montrealians mix "south" up with "south east" because they refer to the Saint-Laurent river. Is it the case for you, tending to consider the Upstate in the north, in your discourse the south east designates the littoral or only the Beaufort area ?

I don't think anyone misunderstands true directionals vs. the three regions. The Lowcountry, Midlands, and Upstate simply refer to coastal plain, the Appalachains and the area between the two (Midlands). When I think of Greenville/Spartanburg, I don't consider them "northern", I consider them "Upstate" because they are geographically on higher ground.

Aight...I just blew snot outta my nose when I read that one!

Yes we are familiar with the term. In fact Spartanburg uses one called Herron Circle. IMO most cities in the US view the "roundabout" as dangerous and time consuming for some (ie. overly-cautious drivers).

In fact Spartanburg had another 'traffic circle' on the southside of town I thought, decades ago. I believe they were called traffic circles & not roundabouts.

I don't think anyone misunderstands true directionals vs. the three regions. The Lowcountry, Midlands, and Upstate simply refer to coastal plain, the Appalachains and the area between the two (Midlands). When I think of Greenville/Spartanburg, I don't consider them "northern", I consider them "Upstate" because they are geographically on higher ground.

That is a unique thing about the cultural geography of SC, compass directions are somewhat irrelevant in people's minds. Whereas most southern states I can think of are divided by directions - 'North & South Georgia', 'East & West NC' but in SC, in a state as small & historic as it is, it's almost a Olde European concept.

That is a unique thing about the cultural geography of SC, compass directions are somewhat irrelevant in people's minds. Whereas most southern states I can think of are divided by directions - 'North & South Georgia', 'East & West NC' but in SC, in a state as small & historic as it is, it's almost a Olde European concept.

One thing that throws alot of people off is our weird interstate system. I-26 is and east-west, but runs north-south and 85 is north-south but run east-west.

This is results in counterintuitive situations like people traveling west on 26 to reach North Charleston.

Well, I know that even-numbered interstates run east-west and odd-numbered ones run north-south. But I do agree; not only in SC do the interstates run contrary to their designation, but throughout their routes (in my opinion). I-85 runs from Petersburg, VA to Montgomery, AL, more east-west than north-south; I-26 runs from Charleston to Kingsport, TN, more north-south than east-west. But see for yourself here.

All of those directions made my head spin. As far as the term "roundabouts" I think that is most commonly used as a term for traffic circles in Great Britain. The only traffic circles I can think of in the Columbia area are the Boston Ave traffic circle next to the Midland's Tec Airport campus and the Saluda traffic circle on 378. Any others?

Well, I know that even-numbered interstates run east-west and odd-numbered ones run north-south. But I do agree; not only in SC do the interstates run contrary to their designation, but throughout their routes (in my opinion). I-85 runs from Petersburg, VA to Montgomery, AL, more east-west than north-south; I-26 runs from Charleston to Kingsport, TN, more north-south than east-west. But see for yourself here.

The reason is that diagonal interstates that run SW-NE are given N/S directions, and those that run SE-NW are given E/W directions. Still, its counter intuitive for SC.

All of those directions made my head spin. As far as the term "roundabouts" I think that is most commonly used as a term for traffic circles in Great Britain. The only traffic circles I can think of in the Columbia area are the Boston Ave traffic circle next to the Midland's Tec Airport campus and the Saluda traffic circle on 378. Any others?

I know Dupont circle in Washington :whistling:

Two interstates go across South Carolina at West and East. SC would be just a region of passing/crossing (I'm not sure for the word) without Columbia (!). The capital attracts and manifold interstastes. So the interstates have not a particular direction.

NC : E/W

Georgia : S/N

SC : a star, center/sea/mountain, the BEST system !

In the United States, a roundabout and traffic circle are two different things but look similar. Dupont circle is indeed a traffic circle, and they have tended to fall out of favor in highway design because they are dangerous. A roundabout is an modified traffic circle that eliminates the traffic lights and makes a few other changes with medians to improve the safety.

In the United States, a roundabout and traffic circle are two different things but look similar. Dupont circle is indeed a traffic circle, and they have tended to fall out of favor in highway design because they are dangerous. A roundabout is an modified traffic circle that eliminates the traffic lights and makes a few other changes with medians to improve the safety.

Traffic circles are normally not pedestrian friendly but roundabouts are. Traffic circles do not always follow proper width, length and circumferential measurements but roundabouts do and are designed for pedestrian safety. Mathis Ferry Road by I'On (Mt. Pleasant) are examples of roundabouts.

I know Dupont circle in Washington :whistling:

Two interstates go across South Carolina at West and East. SC would be just a region of passing/crossing (I'm not sure for the word) without Columbia (!). The capital attracts and manifold interstastes. So the interstates have not a particular direction.

NC : E/W

Georgia : S/N

SC : a star, center/sea/mountain, the BEST system !

So do I, Chtimi. It's one of my favorite places to go in D.C. Definitely a place I would show you when you come to the states.

So do I, Chtimi. It's one of my favorite places to go in D.C. Definitely a place I would show you when you come to the states.

Aha you know Dupont Circle too ! :P Sure, I'll come !

Thanks everybody for all your explications.

Cool, this forum is highly knowledgeable. :)

Well, I have a question. :P

In my country the government will sell our "autoroutes" soon (!)

The UMP (right party) say : the State needn't to possess "autoroutes". The UDF (center) retorts : "You're mad ? Sell our gems ?" :lol:

Who owns the interstates ? The turnpikes ? Are any SC highways owned or partially owned by private companies ?

Well, I have a question. :P

In my country the government will sell our "autoroutes" soon (!)

The UMP (right party) say : the State needn't to possess "autoroutes". The UDF (center) retorts : "You're mad ? Sell our gems ?" :lol:

Who owns the interstates ? The turnpikes ? Are any SC highways owned or partially owned by private companies ?

Generally, individual state department of transportations maintains/owns them but in some states, the state owns the road by appointing an authority to oversee operations of the highway (ex: NJ Turnpike, PA Turnpike, Toll Roads in Illinois). I do NOT like the idea of private ownership maintaining a highway. Besides the substandard non-MUTCD signage that i would like to take my moms suburban and run them over because of the eye soaring font (being sarcastic), if the private company is not controlling costs properly and maintaing the highway maintience, what happens when the company goes bankrupt? Does the highway shutdown or does the state have to rescue the highway in order to keep the transportation system stable? It would spell disaster if private ownership got into the hands of any highways and should stay out of that business. I hope France keeps control on its autoroutes!

Archived