The Hudson

Justin6882

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I could tell, the set has not been designed to include a window view. In other words, to look through the window on the street, you'll be facing the anchors. My advice for WTVD is to have a set with a camera facing a window. Maybe for their morning show. However. this may not be practical until Fayetteville Street is open to traffic.

What WTVD ought to do is do the same layout like WBTV does with the studio having a clear view of Trade and Tryon Streets.

I am going off on a tangent just a bit, whatever happend to Miriam Thomas? She was a great news anchor. Ive always thought Sandra Hughes (WFMY) and Thomas were the best female african american anchors ive came across (and Roz Abrams on WCBS in NY). Miriam and Larry made a great team during their time together on WTVD, it was the only reason back then ill go back and fourth with WRAL, now ill just stick with WRAL period.

If I remember correctly, two or three years ago, WTVD decided they needed younger so they didn't re-up her contract. She was actually in discussions to head over to WRAZ (WRAL's sister station, FOX50) and anchor the news there, but something happened with that, I think the fact that WRAl decided to have "WRAL 10:00 News on FOX50" which would use WRAL's anchors.

Yea, Cullen Browder and Lynda Loveland were the original anchors on Fox 50 when they started the news. Now, you see them on WRAL all the time.

On the topic of WRAL, additional tangent, Renee McCoy suddenly left WRAL on the noon news with Bill Leslie. Whatever happend to her? B)

Miriam Thomas was supposed to start on the 10pm WRAZ news...in fact they put up a billboard about her pending arrival since she is so popular....however her deamon of alcoholism got the best of her and WRAZ (WRAL) canceled her contract before she even went on air.

Miriam Thomas was supposed to start on the 10pm WRAZ news...in fact they put up a billboard about her pending arrival since she is so popular....however her deamon of alcoholism got the best of her and WRAZ (WRAL) canceled her contract before she even went on air.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

holy crap, i never knew she was an alky...thats terrible.

On the Renee McCoy question, she needed a very flexible schedule and didn't want to do the morning news, but did want to do the noon news (or some combination). Anyway, it got to be too much to accomdate her scheduling needs, so WRAL didn't reup her contract.

The Triangle news market has put out a few national correspondents. Jim Axelrod (CBS News) and Bret Bair (FoxNews Channel). It's always fun to hear their reports and picture them back in front of the state legislature or covering a neighborhood bake-off. Both of the aforementioned came from WRAL - are there any current National correspondents that came from here that I haven't seen? (I usually watch WRAL, so that's all I know)

Donna whats her face that used to do the 5:30pm WRAL newscast...she is a now an anchor on MSNBC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Donna Gregory.

You also had Brooke Parker on NBC 17 which is now a NBC national correspondant.

Down in the Wilmington market, Jim Hanchett was a NBC correspondent, now he anchors the 5, 6 and 11pm news for WECT.

-----

Does anyone remember Glenn Schwartz from WRAL in the late 80s? Hes now the chief meterologist for WCAU-NBC 10 in Philadelphia. His nickname is "Hurricane" .

I think its easier for WTVD and WNCN to get national correspondents b/c they are both owned by their respective networks (ABC, NBC). However, WRAL is owned by Capitol Broadcasting. I think it says a lot about the quality of news they put out that they are able to get so many of their reporters on the national scene without being owned by their network.

• 3 months later...

Finally things are coming together downtown at the former Belks building now called the "Hudson". As many know WTVD 11 news now has there broadcast offices there with plasma tv's fronting Fayetteville St. Now as final touches on the construction are done several new tenants have been announced

1.> A Chinese Bistro. (This should be very profitable, lots of demand for different dining.

2.> A New Orleans themed and styled resturant and jazz bar. (Sounds plush)

3. > A Deli

4. > A UPS store. (This should will also be a nice additional with all the law offices and such downtown.)

The resturants should come on-line this fall and the UPS store in September.

:D

Now if we could only lure a Panera bread downtown.

Thanks for the info! Nice to hear that the Hudson is finally close enough to completion to release their tenant list. But...

Now if we could only lure a Panera bread downtown.
Is Panera somehow different/better than Cafe Carolina and Bakery? I was under the impression that Cafe Carolina, Atlanta Bread Company, and Panera were about six to the half dozen. Plus, Cafe Carolina is local!

Real urban fabric is not realized with Panera Bread's and ESPN Zones (like one of the proposals for the south end "cultural" district). Seriously...DO NOT SHOP at places like these. Not only do places like Helios (vs Starbucks), Harmony Farms (vs Whole Foods), and The Rockford (vs Applebees) have more character in general, but the economic impact locally, is something like 5 times as much when a local owner spends that dollar he/she made again in the community, and each time it is spent here, it is taxed to the benefit of the local gov't.

^yes, another great reason to live inside the beltline ... and no big boxes!
I thought about that one for quite a while, and I came up with the conclusion that there is only one big box retailer inside the beltline: the Borders on Six Forks Road near the intersection with Wake Forest. Any others? None that I'm aware of, anyway.

The deli is going to be called Gandolfo's. There is a listing in the 2005-2006 Guide to Downtown Raleigh. There arent listings for the other spaces though. Between the spaces in The Hudson and 2 Progress Plaza there will be a lot of restaraunts in that area. It's nice to hear that all of the spaces in The Hudson won't be restaraunts. I think one of the coolest additions to dt is the Iatria Day Spa opening in 2 Progress Plaza though.

I thought about that one for quite a while, and I came up with the conclusion that there is only one big box retailer inside the beltline: the Borders on Six Forks Road near the intersection with Wake Forest. Any others? None that I'm aware of, anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought on that too a while back and Borders is all I could come up with. Costco is coming to that same intersection though (where Pepsi was).

Iatria locating downtown is bold and appreciated. Definitely need those type of businesses.

Archived