Fort Smith, AR

Aporkalypse

I think F. Smith/Van Buren should look after Shreveport/Bossier City's example as far as the area around the river is concerned. Both sides of the Red River in the Shreveport/Bossier City area have developed into very successful commercial/entertainment districts. If F. Smith had something like this it would be a huge boom for the area. They could pull from the entire NWA region as well as N.E. Oklahoma.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think F. Smith/Van Buren should look after Shreveport/Bossier City's example as far as the area around the river is concerned. Both sides of the Red River in the Shreveport/Bossier City area have developed into very successful commercial/entertainment districts. If F. Smith had something like this it would be a huge boom for the area. They could pull from the entire NWA region as well as N.E. Oklahoma.

I'm not sure if it could pull much from the NWA region. But nonetheless it Ft Smith/Van Buren needs to do something. I'd personally like to see them do something involving the history of the area. But I guess the biggest problem is having jobs for people. Who knows how much longer Beverly might have it's headquarters there. And Whirlpool seems like they are shrinking their workforce down more and more over time. It's a bit hard to get much going if there really aren't many jobs for people.

I think F. Smith/Van Buren should look after Shreveport/Bossier City's example as far as the area around the river is concerned.

For a while Ft. Smith was, until a pretty powerful Tornado came near the river and destroyed many historic structures. It was a blow to the Ft. Smith downtown and development.

For a while Ft. Smith was, until a pretty powerful Tornado came near the river and destroyed many historic structures. It was a blow to the Ft. Smith downtown and development.

Ft Smith passed a tax and spent a lot of money to build infrastructure downtown after that tornado and a lot of people I know from Ft Smith think post-tornado investment really propelled redevlopment there into the respectable downtown they have now. When the River Market area was dead Ft Smith's downtown was already well into a successful revival. Ultimately, though, they don't have the people that Shreveport or Little Rock do to continue that momentum into big condo projects, etc. Honestly, Shreveport was lagging for a long time but has finally stepped up and is redeveloping some. Jackson (MS) is often compared to LR and Shreveport but its downtown hasn't really done much compared to the other cities in the region despite the fact it has lots of cool historic structures to renovate. That's a city where suburban migration is difficult to overcome for lots of reasons.

I don't think Ft. Smith has jumped on the downtown condo bandwagon like Fayetteville and Little Rock either.

No, I haven't heard any mention of any condo development in Ft Smith. Doesn't mean there aren't any but I don't think there's much of any condo market there.

No, I haven't heard any mention of any condo development in Ft Smith. Doesn't mean there aren't any but I don't think there's much of any condo market there.

That market targets single well-educated professionals in their 20s and 30s. That's a tough sell in Ft Smith right now, that's the main demographic they are losing to NWA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Apparently KFTA has been sold. It had been owned by the company that owns KNWA and KARK, both NBC affiliates in NWA and Little Rock. It had been the main NBC affiliate before KNWA came around and moved the studio and offices up to NWA. Apparently this opens up the possibility of it becoming a full power FOX station. It also opens up the possibility of a FOX newscast like other markets have including Little Rock. Not sure what would happen to the other FOX station.

• 5 weeks later...

Is anyone aware of a trolley in Ft Smith. I don't get the impression it has a very big route but apparently there is a trolley service there. I don't think I've ever heard of this before. I've been wanting to go down to Ft Smith and Van Buren and actually look around a little and take some pics of course. While I was trying to do a little online research I came across a trolley museum and trolley service there. Sounds like they've restored 4 of the original 52 trolleys that used to service Ft Smith. Just thought that was interesting. As far as I knew Little Rock was the only city with a 'true' trolley.

I'll be heading out to Van Buren and Ft Smith here in a little bit but thought I'd post a little info I found out about. Apparently La Huerta is moving into a new location. The other bit of news I'm not positive on. Either there will be a Johnny Carino's opening in the near future or it just opened. Hopefully I'll have at least some pics posted sometime later today.

Edited by Mith242

Mith, La Huerta is not moving. The owners are opening a second location in downtown Fort Smith. It'll be located in the old Goodson's on Garrison location in the old Herb's Feed & Tack building just east of the Varsity.

Thanks for the info. I first heard about it on one of the local news stations and I think they did use the word move. But it's nice to hear that La Huerta is doing well enough to open another location. I also thought it was an interesting location becing so close to the historical area. By the way welcome to the forum. Can I assume you're from Ft Smith? It would be interesting to have someone from there to keep us up to date on what's going on there.

Thanks for the info. I first heard about it on one of the local news stations and I think they did use the word move. But it's nice to hear that La Huerta is doing well enough to open another location. I also thought it was an interesting location becing so close to the historical area. By the way welcome to the forum. Can I assume you're from Ft Smith? It would be interesting to have someone from there to keep us up to date on what's going on there.

Yes, I'm in FSM. Your post on the photos thread was right on the money. Fort Smith was a blue collar town that relied heavily on factory workers at Whirlpool, Rheem, Baldor and Hiram Walker to make things click. Now that those jobs are being relocated, we're at a crossroads.

Unfortunately, the city leaders don't seem to know how to attract new business of the white-collar variety. The population is older which is a big reason a bond issue to build a sports complex (10 baseball fields, 10 softball fields, 8-10 indoor basketball/volleyball courts) was overwhelming defeated.

Sprawl is a problem, though a few developers have begun to return to downtown.

I fear Fort Smith is a dying town. But, on the plus side, if you can find a good job housing is very affordable.

Yes, I'm in FSM. Your post on the photos thread was right on the money. Fort Smith was a blue collar town that relied heavily on factory workers at Whirlpool, Rheem, Baldor and Hiram Walker to make things click. Now that those jobs are being relocated, we're at a crossroads.

Unfortunately, the city leaders don't seem to know how to attract new business of the white-collar variety. The population is older which is a big reason a bond issue to build a sports complex (10 baseball fields, 10 softball fields, 8-10 indoor basketball/volleyball courts) was overwhelming defeated.

I fear Fort Smith is a dying town. But, on the plus side, if you can find a good job housing is very affordable.

I was hoping to hear some more from you. Do you think being so close to NWA has some negative influences on Ft Smith? Drawing away people for better jobs and such? But I do agree with you on Ft Smith needing to find something else. I've mentioned this before in the past but I'll repeat it again. While I'm certainly not saying Ft Smith is doomed to become another Pine Bluff there are some similarities. Pine Bluff had something like this happen a couple of decades ago and since then it's mainly been on the decline. I'd like to think that Ft Smith would be able to avoid some of the problems Pine Bluff had and not end up in the same shape it's in. But the city does seem to need to find a new identity. I've often heard that housing is rather cheap there and I believe Forbes ranked it the cheapest place to do business.

Regarding white collar jobs, I think Beverly's demise must've hit rather hard. It seems it would've.

Ft Smith will always be able to rely on its service economy. It provides the physicians and hospitals, retail and restaurants, legal and business services, etc for a sizable population of Arkansans and Oklahomans. However, without the manufacturing or white collar jobs from a corporate presence like Beverly it won't every thrive the way NWA is.

There was a recent mention again about Ft Smith trying to bring in the US Marshals Museum. A group of supporters will soon go make their case for why Ft Smith should get it. Apparently three other cities are also trying to get the museum. I haven't seen what those cities are so far. I asked about it while I was down at the National Historical Park last weekend and someone mentioned that he thought they were supposed to make their selection sometime later this year. It sounds like if Ft Smith did get it they it would either be put near the National Historical Park or somewhere along the riverfront.

I've finally heard what some of the other cities fighting for the US Marshals Museum are. Apparently it's down to Ft Smith, Staunton, Virginia, Wyoming (not sure which city in Wyoming) and Hollywood California. I'd hate to see Ft Smith lose out of this but I really hope it isn't to Hollywood. I just have a hard time seeing it there. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but it would seem to me that Ft Smith has a decent chance at this. It sounds like they have a good presentation. The city also has some plans on locations in the city. But I also thing a big thing is the history. Ft Smith has more US Marshals buried there than anywhere else in the country. I really don't know if the other locations have as good of a reason why they should be selected above Ft Smith. Ft Smith also has a nice central location in the country compared to the others as well.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem in Fort Smith is its leaders and most of its residents DON'T WANT change. People who live in Fort Smith are of the old fashioned variety. They live in Fort Smith because they do not like the hustle and bustle of modern society. People are afraid that if there was enough change, it would bring a flood of new people and that would threaten traditions and the "everybody knows everybody" atmosphere of the area.

More value is placed on family tradition in this town than on education. They want to keep Fort Smith the way their parents and grandparents knew it. High tech jobs need educated people to exist, and they wont find much of that in Fort Smith. UAFS is a step in the right direction, but i believe many of its graduates leave town to find work in NWA and other places. I meet people all the time who have never used a computer, and some who have NEVER EVEN SEEN ONE. People are very discriminant agaisnt people who were not born and raised here, and are even more discriminant against minorities, blacks and gays in particular. There is a sense that any kind of progress a threat to guns and Christianity.

There are exceptions to this, and people in the city that don't fit the description above. I am speaking of the majority of the population of the city. Fort Smith is dying, and the bottom line is its not going to get better until its residents open up their minds, and are willing to accept change.