What's going on in East Tennessee?

There is a distinct lack of representation and news from the Eastern Grand Division compared to the Middle and Western Divisions. So whats going on out there in regards to urban development? There has to be alot going on thats passing under our radar here, so what are we missing?

I would like to try to churn up some interest in our forum from East Tennesseans. So if anyone has access to information and news from the cities in the Eastern Grand Division please share it here or start a new thread on it; and if you're a lurker from East Tennessee please feel free to sign up and help give the Eastern Division more representation here on the forum.

There's quite a bit going on in Chattanooga as well.

Some significant developments include:

Contruction of the 10 Story Electric Power Board Headquarters in Downtown (Completion by end of this year)

Construction of $200 Million 800,000 Sq Ft Headquarters for Blue Cross Blue Shield (Start Jan. '06)

Development of Enterprise South Industrial Mega-Site (rumored in the running for large Auto Assembly Plant)

Expansion of US Express corporate headquarters adding 1,000 jobs (U/C)

$2.1 Billion in Construction from early 2001 to early 2005.

$120 Million Waterfront Project and Aquarium Expansion - Complete this summer

Construction of several downtown condo projects including a seven story condo downtown next to Aquarium.

These are but some of the developments.

The Chamber of Commerce web site lists some of the significant developments over the last few years. For details of any of the projects listed below just click this link:

Chattanooga Projects

SEPTEMBER 2005

Sulzer Pumps Expands, Adds New Jobs

AUGUST 2005

Wrigley Creates New Jobs, Expands Chattanooga Facility

T-Mobile Brings 700 Jobs to Chattanooga

JUNE 2005

Ford Motor Chairman and CEO Lauds Local Innovation

American Eagle Begins Service Between Chattanooga and Dallas/Fort Worth

cre824 Brings Web's Best to Scenic City

MAY 2005

Enterprise South Industrial Park Certified in TVA Megasite Program

Twice Daily Flights From Chattanooga to Houston Starting in October

APRIL 2005

City, County Take Control of Remaining Land at Enterprise South

DUSA Announces Partners with City and County to Keep Jobs in Area

FEBRUARY 2005

Wind Tower Manufacturer Will Add 150 Jobs in Three Years

BlueCross BlueShield Announces $200 Million Campus in Downtown Chattanooga

City Enjoys $2.1 Billion in Investment Since April 2001

JANUARY 2005

LJT Tennessee Plans $7.38 Million Expansion

Chattanooga Airport Gains Additional Flights

Clarity Introduces New Continuous Service Phone for Hearing- Impaired

OCTOBER 2004

Kingdom Media Launches New Concept in Billboard Advertising

SEPTEMBER 2004

Mayor Bob Corker Outlines Programming for New 23 Acre Park

EPB Puts More Than One Million Dollars Back into Local Community

Smart Furniture Closes Venture Capital Funding

NewRoads Announces Business Expansion Plans

AUGUST 2004

AAkron Rule Corporation Expands in Hamilton County

TMIO Locates Manufacturing Operation in Chattanooga

Tricycle Receives Venture Capital Funding

Interstate Interchange for Enterprise South Underway

Enterprise South Closer to Megasite Certification

Clarity Dedicates New Headquarters in Chattanooga

Techno-Visionary Keynoter at Chamber Annual Meeting

JUNE 2004

Tricycle Wins Third NeoCon Award

Luxury Hotel Company Assumes Sheraton Read House Management

MAY 2004

U.S. Xpress Expansion Adds Up to 1000 New Jobs

AquaShield Wins Kruesi Award at Chamber Innovation Event

APRIL 2004

Southern Living Calls Chattanooga "Little City that Could"

NuMarkets Opens EBay Center in Chattanooga

Inc. Magazine Features First Enterprise South Tenant

Smart Furniture Honored for Customer Service

TAG Manufacturing Locates at Enterprise South Industrial Park

FEBRUARY 2004

Tennessee Rand Announces Expansion Plans

JANUARY 2004

State Lottery Director Keynote Speaker at Chamber Luncheon

Krystal offers WiFi Internet Access in Lee Highway Restaurant

DECEMBER 2003

Chattanooga's Going Places as 'Belle of the Ball'

Governor Hails Enterprise South as a Premiere Industrial Site

Chattanooga Honored as Bike-Friendly City

Enterprise Center Receives $3.5 Million

NOVEMBER 2003

Governor, Mayors Officiate at Enterprise South Milestone Ceremony

EPB Wins Award for Annual Reports

South Korean Tourist Spot is Chattanooga's New Sister City

EPB Telecom Offers Fast, Fiber-optic Internet Service

Southern Living Applauds Chattanooga and Tennessee Ballet

OCTOBER 2003

Chamber Fields Team to Visit, Assist Businesses in Six Counties

Margaret Callihan Named ATHENA AWARD Recipient

Four Chattanooga Companies Selected for Venture Forum

Work to Begin on I-75 Interchange for Enterprise South

Ruth Holmberg Featured at ATHENA Luncheon

SEPTEMBER 2003

Campaign Launched to Brand Chattanooga as a Great Business City

Chattanooga Hosts Tennessee Valley Technology Summit

Chamber Video, Web Site Honored by IDEC in Cincinnati

World Trade Society Formed to Promote Business, Cultural Relationships

AUGUST 2003

Tennessee Valley Technology Corridor Summit set for Oct. 5

JUNE 2003

EPB Breaks Ground on New 10 Story Downtown Office Building

^ @Hankster - Good stuff!! Is the Blue Cross Blue Shield HQ going to be downtown?

That mega-site thats in the running in Chattanooga is a good deal. I really hope it can pull in a plant, it would be a great for the city and immediate region. I think that site and the ones its in the running with in Georgia, SC, etc are competing for a European manufacturer from what I have read. Do you know if that is correct?

I am from Kingsport and visit there several times a year. The major thing that is happening there is the old Kingsport Mall site was mostly torn down and a new development with Goodys, Office Max, and several othere good size storeshave been built along with a number of rest. There was a large expansion at Weyerhaeuser's plant there but othere than that not a lot happening. The economy is down a little because of lay offs and plants closings.

The Eastman Chemicl facility is an impressive site to see and have been looking for a good picture to post. The main plant is about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile wide and a mile or so long. Nothing but 6 to 8 story buildings, smoke stacks, and metal pipes

Johnson City is the more progressive of the cities up there and has a lot more growth. I have not had a chance to go there in a while, but as a whole development in the Tri-cities seems to be slow as compared to Mddle Tn and the rest of the state.

It would be great to have a set of eyes up there because you cant see the big picture in a visit or two because the area is so large.

I havent beeen to Bristol in years so I have no idea of what is happening there.

^ @Hankster - Good stuff!! Is the Blue Cross Blue Shield HQ going to be downtown?

That mega-site thats in the running in Chattanooga is a good deal. I really hope it can pull in a plant, it would be a great for the city and immediate region. I think that site and the ones its in the running with in Georgia, SC, etc are competing for a European manufacturer from what I have read. Do you know if that is correct?

The Blue Cross Blue Shield HQ will be located on top of Cameron Hill, overlooking the Central Business District and the waterfront. I've now seen a rendering for the building; but I know this site has awesome visibility. It should be an awesome project since the budget has recently been increased to about $217 Million. As soon as I see a rendering I'll post it.

There are all kinds of rumors about as to who's in the running for the Chattanooga mega-site. I heard Kia was interested, but I believe I've heard they may be interested in the West Tennessee site too. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Edited by Hankster

RK,

I was in Knoxville about one month ago. Stayed downtown one night. Drove all over the central core of the city. Here is a quick run-down:

Gay Street is being overhauled, mainly with residential. There is a 16-theater multiplex planned for Gay (it will look and function in an urban manner). I read a piece in the Metro Pulse regarding the proposed improvement of Jackson (to tie Gay and Central together where Old City is). Mechanicsville (an historic African-American neighborhood on the near north side) has lots of new historic replica homes. Good effort. Fourth and Gill (the hippest of Old North Knoxville neighborhoods) continues to make progress. South Knoxville is rough. And Fort Sanders (on the west side and bordering the UT campus) has been brutalized by random crap development. The Fort, however, does have a new pocket park that seems nice. East Knoxville has a great old street, Magnolia, with some historic neighborhoods on either side. But it could be years before that area is improved. Overall, Knoxville is making strides on reinventing its urban core. But it remains significantly far behind Chattanooga, Memphis and Nashville.

William

I found this awesome site which outlines developments just completed and currently under construction in the Downtown Chattanooga area. As you can see, the list is amazing.

Chattanooga Downtown Development

I've been able to find some renderings of some of the developments outlined in the article above:

Cherry Street Townhomes (Beautiful Brownstones - will be completed very soon - already sold out)

rendering_main.jpg

Museum Bluffs Condominiums ( Seven Story Condos overlooking the Tennessee River - U/C complete 2006)

render1.jpg

render2.jpg

Here's a Link to Other Project Renderings

Another area of busy development in East Tennessee is Cleveland.

There are currently a few commercial developments either almost done or in the works...

The Garden Plaza at Cleveland is scheduled to open in the next few months. The building is a 6 story 180,000 sq ft 8-million dollar complex located right on one of Cleveland

^WOW!!!! Thanks!!! This is exactly the type of news and info I was hoping to get on the cities out in East Tennessee we don't get to hear about!

(note: @Hankster you keep us up on Chattanooga; which I really appreciate too.)

Welcome to the forum HABANERO7! I really hope you stick around and join into the discussions we have. Hankster needs some company representing the Eastern Grand Division.

Are you from Cleveland?

Again, I really appreciate you joining the forum and posting all that great info.

Are you from Cleveland?

Again, I really appreciate you joining the forum and posting all that great info.

Yes, I am a Born and raised Cleveland resident. As I was reading over the forums the past few weeks I noticed just what u are talking about. A lack of information outside of the Nashville and Memphis areas.

I have more info that covers the Cleveland area, I just want to make sure facts and figures are correct before I post. There are some neat things in the works over the next couple of years here with commerical development in the pipeline ranging in the hundreds of thousands of square feet, plus there is a possibality of a 20 to 30 million dollar arena and civic center as well. As information presents itself to me, and I can confirm, I will be sure to post and keep the board up on whats happening in SE Tennessee.

Edited by HABANERO7

Yes, I am a Born and raised Cleveland resident. As I was reading over the forums the past few weeks I noticed just what u are talking about. A lack of information outside of the Nashville and Memphis areas.

I have more info that covers the Cleveland area, I just want to make sure facts and figures are correct before I post. There are some neat things in the works over the next couple of years here with commerical development in the pipeline ranging in the hundreds of thousands of square feet, plus there is a possibality of a 20 to 30 million dollar arena and civic center as well. As information presents itself to me, and I can confirm, I will be sure to post and keep the board up on whats happening in SE Tennessee.

Welcome to the forum, neighbor!!! And thanks for the update on Cleveland. Cleveland is a great town and I love the location so close to the Ocoee Gorge and the southern appalachians. I work with a bunch of guys who live in Cleveland, especially since I work at McKee Foods (maker of Little Debbie snacks) in Collegedale, just a hop, skip, and a jump from you. Now, if we could only get some more participation from the rest of East Tennessee.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting the inside scoop and giving the inside scoop about local happenings in east Tennessee.

Down in Chattanooga with the development of exit 9 and the connection through the old tnt plant over to 58 have you heard about what is in the works as far as prospective tenants to the Enterprise South Industrial Park? I heard talk of a potential tenant that would create approx. 1500 jobs at the start with a cap in the 5,000 range. Whatever the case the development of that land will only help to explode growth in the Ooltewah, Collegedale, Apison, Snowhill, McDonald, and Bancroft areas of eastern Hamilton and western Bradley counties.

Welcome to the forum, neighbor!!! And thanks for the update on Cleveland. Cleveland is a great town and I love the location so close to the Ocoee Gorge and the southern appalachians. I work with a bunch of guys who live in Cleveland, especially since I work at McKee Foods (maker of Little Debbie snacks) in Collegedale, just a hop, skip, and a jump from you. Now, if we could only get some more participation from the rest of East Tennessee.

You say that you work at the McKee Baking Company. The woman that I dated many years ago while at the University of Tennessee used to work there. The last I remembered she was working at a TV station in Chattanooga, I believe. Her maiden name was Lynn Blanton, but you might have known her as Lynn Johnson. She lives in Ooltewah. Of course she may have been there before your time.

You say that you work at the McKee Baking Company. The woman that I dated many years ago while at the University of Tennessee used to work there. The last I remembered she was working at a TV station in Chattanooga, I believe. Her maiden name was Lynn Blanton, but you might have known her as Lynn Johnson. She lives in Ooltewah. Of course she may have been there before your time.

I don't know her, but I'll do a little checking. If I find out anything I'll let you know.

As for what may be going in Enterprise South, I haven't heard anything except rumors of a possible Auto Assembly plant, possibly Kia. I'm anxiously waiting for an announcement. If we get one, it will be huge news for the area, especially for Hamilton and Bradley Counties.