What's going on in East Tennessee?

For those of you that are interested in business growth in the South. Southern Business and Development might be of interest.

http://www.sb-d.com

Wow! An article from that site is predicting Chattanooga's Enterprise South will land an Audi or BMW plant (closly guarded secret as to which manufacturer it is). They say there's really only one other contender, Limestone, AL. Here's the article:

Editorial

Kia Deal is revealed. Now, what about Project Pine Tree?

By Mike Randle

If you logged onto www.SouthernAutoCorridor.com in the summer you may have read an editorial we wrote titled "Babbling about Project Pine Tree is Baffling Us." While that article was not published in SB&D the magazine, we will review it here. In the editorial we wrote that most people believe that Project Pine Tree is the Kia project. We disagreed, pointing out that Kia would never look at sites near Huntsville or Chattanooga for a plant, two sites that we believe are at the top of the list for the Pine Tree project.

Why would Kia not consider those two sites? Almost all of Hyundai's suppliers (Kia's parent company) are located south of Birmingham, Ala., with most of those located south of Montgomery. If Kia built an assembly plant in north Alabama or near Chattanooga, most of the Korean suppliers, which have already set up shop in Alabama, would have to go through Montgomery and Birmingham to reach north Alabama or Chattanooga and there's no chance of that happening.

Now that we know that Kia has circled Meridian, Miss., on the map for its first U.S. assembly plant, something we wrote they would do in the winter 2003/2004 edition of Southern Business & Development, we'd like to once again turn our attention to Pine Tree. At a gathering of political and economic development officials in Tennessee during the summer, Tennessee Rep. Zach Wamp said that a "next generation" automotive plant is coming soon to Chattanooga's Enterprise South super industrial site. Of course it was Sen. Trent Lott who said early in 2004 that Kia is the next automaker to call the Southern Automotive Corridor home and Mississippi is going to get them (Kia). Now, if Lott's prediction comes true, as we believe it will, how can you discount what Wamp said this summer?

We believe that Project Pine Tree is the automotive plant Wamp is referring to. And we believe that automaker is a German company, either Audi or BMW. As mentioned, we never believed Project Pine Tree was Kia. The reason why is simple. Kia, nor Hyundai, can keep a secret. As mentioned, we wrote Kia was to announce a plant in Meridian, Miss., in December of 2003 and that plant would be announced in the spring of 2006 (see this editorial). In contrast, Pine Tree is the best kept project secret we have ever seen. That being the case, it's certainly not a Korean automaker.

The last time an automaker kept a deal this close to the vest was Mercedes-Benz in 1993. For example, the day before Mercedes announced it would build its first U.S. plant in Vance, Ala., articles were published in North Carolina celebrating the project's announcement in Mebane, N.C.

So, where are we with Project Pine Tree? Well, we're getting closer, albeit slowly, to an answer. Since site visits were confirmed in Limestone County, Ala. (near Huntsville) and Chattanooga, Tenn., in the spring, we have had little to go on regarding Pine Tree other than a rumored visit in June to a site in northeast Louisiana. In other words, if Pine Tree is a deal and not a dog, then a short list of two sites may have already been determined; Limestone County, Ala. and Chattanooga, Tenn.

Project Pine Tree is so confidential we may have to pass on a prediction regarding the project. That's a tough thing for us to admit considering our track record regarding automotive assembly plant projects. But, we'll go out on a limb on this one. We'll stick with our original prediction made in the spring; Audi in Chattanooga, Tenn. But if it turns out to be BMW, just remember we did say "German automaker."

[email protected]

I was thinking about going around over the next few days and taking a few shots of our taller buildings here in the Cleveland area to post on here for everyone to see. How do I go about loading those pictures so that they are visible to the viewers here on the board? If my memory is correct I believe we have about 8 buildings in the 4 to 8 story range. The 9th building recently broke ground; it will be 5 stories tall.

I would LOVE to see some pics from Cleveland, TN!!

As for how to post photos and who to host them with, we have a whole thread going:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7779

You'll find all the information you need there.

We do however have a whole other thread going on just who you can find that offers good hosting services. Which is this thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5604

Need anymore help just ask in this thread and I'll respond with the best answer I can provide. I would say PM, but until you get 10 posts you don't have access to the PM function.

PS: If you use a standard camera you will have to have the photos scanned to be able to be put onto your computer for uploading, while a digital camera usually comes with the accessories to download straight into your computer.

Welcome to the forum, neighbor!!! And thanks for the update on Cleveland. Cleveland is a great town and I love the location so close to the Ocoee Gorge and the southern appalachians. I work with a bunch of guys who live in Cleveland, especially since I work at McKee Foods (maker of Little Debbie snacks) in Collegedale, just a hop, skip, and a jump from you. Now, if we could only get some more participation from the rest of East Tennessee.

Hankster do you by any chance go to Southern Adventist Univeristy there in Collegedale? I have no idea if you are even of college age, but I know a person or two that goes there. I go to Andrews University up in Michigan which i'm sure you would know if you do infact go to SAU or at least attend church there.

Need anymore help just ask in this thread and I'll respond with the best answer I can provide. I would say PM, but until you get 10 posts you don't have access to the PM function.

I will just have to step up my postings to get to the seasoned level.

Thanks for the information... Halloween is getting close and I have a costume to prepare, therefore I hope to get some pictures taken and posted by next week pending no technical problems.

Hankster do you by any chance go to Southern Adventist Univeristy there in Collegedale? I have no idea if you are even of college age, but I know a person or two that goes there. I go to Andrews University up in Michigan which i'm sure you would know if you do infact go to SAU or at least attend church there.

I'm afraid my college years have long passed me by. Heck, I've got a daughter finishing up Graduate school this year. Southern is a really nice school with a beautiful campus. I'm personally not an Adventist so I have to ask......Is Andrews an Adventist supported school?

I'm afraid my college years have long passed me by. Heck, I've got a daughter finishing up Graduate school this year. Southern is a really nice school with a beautiful campus. I'm personally not an Adventist so I have to ask......Is Andrews an Adventist supported school?

Ahh I see. I had to ask. It isn't often I come across people who live in Collegedale. Yes, Andrews is an Adventist school. :)

Just went up to Kingsport this weekend. I will try to have some random shots up sometime this week.

There is an article in the Kinsport Times News today about more growth in the Meadowview area of Kinsport. A lot of undeveloped land just off of I 26 (formerly I 181). There was a very nice convention center/ resort built there several years back and I noticed today there was a new 5 or 6 stroy structure housing the Eastman Credit Union. I'll keep on digging until someone there joins the forum.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.dna?_StoryID=3562496

• 4 weeks later...

As it has been said many times on these forums, East Tennessee is an under represented area of the state.

There are the occasional posts from East Tennessee, but overall this area of the state is underserved.

Because of this I want to make a new request, a call out if you will, for anyone out there reading these posts whom might be able to help fill in the gaps of information in the East Tennessee area.

All areas have something going on, no matter how big or small. Anyone who frequents East Tennessee will know that major growth is happening in certain areas, but in your area the growth might just be a new red-light, a new McDonalds, a new factory, a pretty downtown, a nice tree lined historical residential street, a new school, fire hall, or anything else you might think of, but growth is growth and we would like to see it on here. If you are a reader and not a poster and you live in East Tennessee or have information about East Tennessee then feel free to jump in and show what

Here are a couple of articles from the Kingsport Times News some of you may find interesting. The City of Kingsport has several redevelopment districts. The first article deals with the old Kingspot Mall site and the redevelopment that has been and is still going on there. The second deals with the downtown district. There is a huge potential there with over 1100 buildings in the downtown. A large number for a city of only 45,000. I will keep my eyes open for more info out of the Tricities and contribute as I find it.

http://www.timesnews.net/archives/index3.php?id=9457452

http://www.timesnews.net/archives/index3.php?id=9463765

• 3 months later...

Well- looks like no one has keyed in on Bristol, TN-VA yet, so I am going to copy and paste what I typed out on the skyscraper page. So far, this is what I have heard (and in some cases know) about what is going on in Bristol, TN. I am not sure if anyone else on this board lives in Bristol, or knows what is going on in the area, but here is what have gathered. I will start out discussing the city in general. Again- below I am quoting what I posted on the skyscraper page:

They are currently in the process of heavily revitalizing our city, with a population of about 43,000. The city of Bristol is located in two states - Tennessee and Virginia. Downtown is actually split by the two states. One side of the street is TN and the other side is VA. Most of the buildings consist of older buildings from the early 1900s if I am correct, with some of the taller buildings built in the 1970s and 1980s. Downtown consists mostly of: antique shops, theaters, art galleries, coffee shops, homeless shelter, pawn shops, banks, restaurants. Many of the buildings have recently underwent "facelifts". I-81 runs just north of downtown and actually runs through the city of Bristol. The northeast and southwest side of the city are very "busy" places. Northeast Bristol is like another "mini city" off of exit 7 I-81. When a Wal-Mart supercenter was built up there in the early to mid 1990s- the development exploded and still more and more construction going on up there, with numerous rastaurants, large movie cinema, convention centers, two large home-improvement centers (Lowe's and Home Depot), several mini-malls, large supermarket (Food City) and soon to be another large shopping plaza, called "The Crossing". Remember- most all of this was farmland in the very early 1990s.

Also- in progress, are the upper stories of some of the old buildings down there are being completely remodeled into fine apartments. They are referring to them as "lofts". I think rather than them being rented out, they are selling them. One of the main reasons for the total remodel is that they can replace all of the old wiring and putting in firewalls between each unit. Most of the 1st floors of these buildings are antique shops, coffee houses, theaters and art galleries. I am not sure those businesses will remain in the buildings with the new lofts.

Seems like a good idea, but parking downtown is currently limited to some small parking lots and on the sides of the downtown streets. That has prompted the approved proposal of a large downtown parking garage next to the local NBC TV station- also located downtown - across from the train station.

The train station downtown also underwent an extreme remodel and cleaning. It is still unsure what is going on with it, but it is proposed to become and active train station again- where folks can actually board the trains and travel. Also- fine restaurants are reported to be going in there as well.

Also- just completed was our new public library - also downtown. The old building dated back to the 1960s and it was not very large. The new one is state of the art and is much larger. I am not sure of the exact cost, but it was a multi-million dollar project. The old library was demolished and the new one built in its place, but more land had to be opened up there for the new building. Actually, as I type this - the books are being moved over to the new building from the temporary location.

Now, on the southwest side of town - across the street from Bristol Motor Speedway - are what I have been told are multi-million (or billion?) dollar condominiums. These are about 12-14 stories high - or at least the one built appears to be. There are supposed to be numerous buildings built in that area. I am not sure how tall they are going with the others - hopefully some will be "skyscraper" status. Photos of that area coming soon.

In the meantime, here are some photos of our downtown area taken late last September of 2005. I do not have a whole lot of the buildings along the main street downtown, but some of those soon as well. Updates on the progress regularly.

As far as I know- there are no other proposals of new high-rises in our city. I am unsure of how tall the parking garage will be, but I am sure- no where near highrise status.

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Thanks and thanks for letting me know about this site! I never even knew about it.

Actually, we have been invited to Nashville by one of my dads old friends at one of the local TV stations there, but not sure if we will make this year or not. We have also been invited to visit friends in Memphis as well, but that may not happen this year either, as we have to go to Florida and Wilmington, NC this year. Maybe next year. Yeah- you should visit Bristol- it is changing more daily!

Thanks again!

Glad to see you, storm. In ALL my years of being a Tennessean, I've never been to Bristol. I think I need a road trip.

Pop in on us in Nashville, too, storm. Get yourself one of those warm Middle Tennessee welcomes.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Chattanooga Condo project

$36 million project for North Shore

Will be the largest condo development in Chattanooga to date

200 Units when complete

Located on North Shore adjacent to Coolidge Park Expansion

3 buildings

1st Building begings later this year 5-6 stories

2nd and 3rd building built as market demands

100k-300k more afforadable than other recent projects

40000 sqft 243.jpgretail

Edited by flith

I cannot find any write-ups on it, but they are currently building a multi-million (maybe even billion) condominium complex in Bristol, TN - straight across from the Bristol Motor Speedway. One of the buildings (6 or 7 stories) is nearly complete. I think several are going down there. I do not recall what the complex is called. If anyone knows, please post it here.

Why not just make one 50 or more story building? :D

Edited by Tennesseestorm

I cannot find any write-ups on it, but they are currently building a multi-million (maybe even billion) condominium complex in Bristol, TN - straight across from the Bristol Motor Speedway. One of the buildings (6 or 7 stories) is nearly complete. I think several are going down there. I do not recall what the complex is called. If anyone knows, please post it here.

Why not just make one 50 or more story building? :D

How many condominium structures will there be? How many units? If they built one 50 stories high, they could probably watch the races from the upper floors. LOL.

Not sure on the exact number, but several are supposed to be going in there. They are labeled as "ultra luxury" condominiums. I drove by today and noticed they are called "Raceway Center Condominiums". There is already a huge for sale sign out front, with a second large sign that says "phase two". The power is already on that completed building, as I noticed people out on the balconies and lights illuminated.

I plan to take my camera by there soon and take some photographs.

Good idea about the 50 story building and watching the race. However, I was just thinking that since the grandstands and suites are now so high, it would probably take more like 75-100 stories to see the complete track from that area. :D

How many condominium structures will there be? How many units? If they built one 50 stories high, they could probably watch the races from the upper floors. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...