What's going on in East Tennessee?

Sorry - it posted double. (see next post)

Yeah, downtown Bristol. Sorry, I was in a hurry this morning and did not get to give a lot of detail, but really I still do not know much myself.

I heard that they are going to demolish the old Sears building (that used to be Sears until 1975). It moved to the Bristol mall when it opened in 1976.

What confuses me about this is that the old Sears building downtown has a creek running under it. There is a sizable creek that runs through the downtown area and a large area has the creek under it. I never even knew this before. I never had thought about where the creek went after it passed the courthouse. I am really surprised that I never realized it until my mother told me.

If it is indeed a 100 room hotel in that space, it would definitely have to be several stories high, but I do not think the ground under it could support the weight. Unless I am wrong and it is more solid than I think?

Some of the locals I have spoke to about this so far seem to oppose, asking "why" do we need it? I personally would not mind seeing a 20+ story building down here. :)

More details as I get them.

In Bristol?
Edited by Tennesseestorm

Yeah, downtown Bristol. Sorry, I was in a hurry this morning and did not get to give a lot of detail, but really I still do not know much myself.

I heard that they are going to demolish the old Sears building (that used to be Sears until 1975). It moved to the Bristol mall when it opened in 1976.

What confuses me about this is that the old Sears building downtown has a creek running under it. There is a sizable creek that runs through the downtown area and a large area has the creek under it. I never even knew this before. I never had thought about where the creek went after it passed the courthouse. I am really surprised that I never realized it until my mother told me.

If it is indeed a 100 room hotel in that space, it would definitely have to be several stories high, but I do not think the ground under it could support the weight. Unless I am wrong and it is more solid than I think?

Some of the locals I have spoke to about this so far seem to oppose, asking "why" do we need it? I personally would not mind seeing a 20+ story building down here. :)

More details as I get them.

UPDATE -

I just went on one of our local news (CBS TV station and Bristol newspaper site combined) and found this link. According to this - that area could also be a park. I also read something about a convention center, parking and a "boutique hotel". What is a boutique hotel supposed to be? :D

Also, listed here and in yesterdays paper, they are talking of cutting down the pear trees downtown, because they are getting too large and blocking the merchants signs. :rolleyes:.

Here are the links: (if they work)

http://search.tricities.com/DisplayCQArtic...2006/03/23/0021

I am going to keep searching site and our local NBC website ( http://www.wcyb.com ) for the info on the 100 room hotel that was proposed.

Someone at work that knows someone that works downtown said those new "loft apartments" are going to be renting for $1500-$2500 per month! Must be pretty fancy! :D

In Bristol?
Edited by Tennesseestorm

Speaking of Museum Bluffs, they have the drawing for the companion project on their website. Here's a link to it: render1.jpg

Thanks for the post. That's a wonderful looking addition and I'm excited about it. The whole area is filling up with mid-rise condos, and we have the beginnings of a spectacular, cool urban neighboorhood developing here!

Edited by Hankster

Those condos in Chattanooga look neat!

The one that is completed near the speedway is now complete and I have heard that ALL have been sold. Mostly to race car drivers to this building, but do not quote me on that one yet. :D

More news, the Home Depot is complete at exit 7 and "The Village" shopping center complex is moving along. I am happy that a Cracker Barrel is going in there. Its much closer for us, because now we have to go to Kingsport (at the airport exit on I-81 - I think exit 66), or exit 17 on I-81 in Abingdon, VA - both about 18-22 miles from me. We really like it. :)

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Those condos in Chattanooga look neat!

The one that is completed near the speedway is now complete and I have heard that ALL have been sold. Mostly to race car drivers to this building, but do not quote me on that one yet. :D

More news, the Home Depot is complete at exit 7 and "The Village" shopping center complex is moving along. I am happy that a Cracker Barrel is going in there. Its much closer for us, because now we have to go to Kingsport (at the airport exit on I-81 - I think exit 66), or exit 17 on I-81 in Abingdon, VA - both about 18-22 miles from me. We really like it. :)

Great things are happening on both ends of East Tennessee!

I like that companion to the Museum Bluffs. Looks very nice. Also, is that art in front of Museum Bluffs in the second picture new? I like it too.

There is tons of art the entire length of Museum Bluffs. The art extends from the Art Bluff district at and around the Hunter Museum all the way to the Tennessee Aquaruim. Museum Bluffs is located between the two. The art was greatly enhanced as part of the recently completed $120 Million 21st Century Waterfront project.

Here's two more projects that will be constructed in the downtown Chattanooga area. The growth in residential here is nothing short of amazing!

Pictures were obtained from the following link. This is an awesome site detailing development in Chattanooga. I suggest any of you browse through it.

River City Company

Parkway Towers will be located in the south downtown area next to Finley stadium and the First Tennessee Pavilion and Chattanooga Market. It will have outstanding views of Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge and the downtown skyline. There will be twelve one and two bedroom condos and the project will feature covered secure parking. Estimated completionis spring 2007.

ParkwayTowers.jpg

Knitting Mill Lofts will feature the conversion of an old knitting mill on Manufacturers Road to 1,775 Sq Ft Condos. This is yet another Northshore development. We seem to be getting annoucements for projects there every couple of weeks. This will be located next to the newly annouced Greenlife grocery and North Shore Towers mixed use projects and will be next to the new Rennaisance Park which is scheduled to open in June.

KnittingMillLofts.jpg

Edited by Hankster

It was announced today in the Chattanooga newspaper that a 90 room $7.2 Million Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites will be built downtown at the intersection of ML King and Gateway Avenue. This is the third hotel announcement for Chattanooga in the past month. Here's the link to the article:

Times Free Press Article

Edited by Hankster

Riverfront project grows to $80 million

By Mike Pare Staff Writer

A planned downtown Chattanooga marina project coupled with new condominiums and commercial space has grown in size to cost more than $80 million, a Florida developer said.

The project by Orlandobased Mirabilis Ventures and John Haslett, also of Florida, would be the largest private commercial development ever raised along the city

Sounds like a great project. I am looking forward to seeing this done. Chattanooga is a great city and I always enjoy visiting. In a way I miss living there, but really like Nashville a lot.

I am envious that they dont have a marina downtown in Nashville. I think in time there will have to be one with all of the other projects going on the river.

I really need to get to Chattanooga very soon.

Hey Hank, if I come down with a friend you are going to have to meet me at the P.B.

Sounds like a great project. I am looking forward to seeing this done. Chattanooga is a great city and I always enjoy visiting. In a way I miss living there, but really like Nashville a lot.

I am envious that they dont have a marina downtown in Nashville. I think in time there will have to be one with all of the other projects going on the river.

I really need to get to Chattanooga very soon.

Hey Hank, if I come down with a friend you are going to have to meet me at the P.B.

That would be awesome. Just give me a little notice and we 'll make it a date. Did you live in Chattanooga earlier?

I think I have lived everywhere. That's what I get for being in the hotel/rest business. I was in 9 states and 18 cities in just a few years. That is one of the reasons I no longer do it. I worked at the Holiday Inn Choo Choo as operations manager from 89 to 91. Also worked at the Ruby Tuesday at Hamilton Place for a while.

I think I have lived everywhere. That's what I get for being in the hotel/rest business. I was in 9 states and 18 cities in just a few years. That is one of the reasons I no longer do it. I worked at the Holiday Inn Choo Choo as operations manager from 89 to 91. Also worked at the Ruby Tuesday at Hamilton Place for a while.

Moving around has it's plusses and minuses. It broadens your horizon, allows you to meet more people, and certainly is educational. Still, that much moving around must be tough. I hope you will be able to stay put in Nashville for a while. It's a great city!

Finally a little good news for east Tennessee business. Some of you from the east Tennessee area are very familiar with the supermarket chain "Food City". Actually, I am sure many are, because they are the sponsor of the Food City 500 race every spring at BMS. Anyway, they have been building alot of new stores in the region lately. The latest one was a new store replacing an existing store in the south part of Bristol, TN. The old store was small. The new building is much larger and has brought in more employees. It is also state of the art. Not only is this store here, but many others in the shopping plaza it is built into. A new bank will be on one side and what looks like 10 more spaces for businesses in the shopping center. One of which I know will be a barber shop. I have also heard that a Jersey Mikes Subs is going in there and on the other end, a Dollar Tree has already opened in the plaza.

This new store is not too far north from the new Super Wal-Mart that is just north of Bristol Motor Speedway. The addition of that new Wal-Mart has helped that part of Bristol flourish. Shortly after that new Wal-Mart went in several stores/shops near that area, then a new Lowes was built about a mile north of there- next door to the new Food City actually. There is also a new Walgreens being built in the same area, as well as a new Wendy's restaurant, which will replace the current old building that is in the same parking lot as the new FC. The new Wendy's will be across the street from FC.

More news on Wendy's is that a new building was also recently built on the northwest side of Bristol, just off of Exit 3 I-81. This store replaced the old one on W. State St, which closed after the new one opened. All of this good news for Bristol, TN-VA.

Alot of businesses opening in Bristol, but no industrial jobs at this time. Seems like it is turning into a retirement area, which is not good for the younger generation here in a city with a population of 44,000 and growing, despite the lack of good paying jobs. :(

Edited by Tennesseestorm

Moving around has it's plusses and minuses. It broadens your horizon, allows you to meet more people, and certainly is educational. Still, that much moving around must be tough. I hope you will be able to stay put in Nashville for a while. It's a great city!

I dont plan on moving again, unless I win the lottery. Has to be the Power Ball though.

• 2 weeks later...