What's going on in East Tennessee?

^ Thats great to see a smaller community take such a deliberate and well-planned approach to redeveloping its downtown square. I hope this proves to be very successful and a model for other communities to follow. Thats what a lot of communities seem to need to be successful (esp. the smaller ones), a tried and succesful model to follow and/or adapt as a basis to get things moving.

Absolutely. I certainly hope that this Meadowview development is the springboard for more projects and a lasting revitalization. It sounds like they're going about it the right way, and I'll be rooting for them. Maybe they will be developing a blueprint for other towns in the Tri-Cities area.

• 1 month later...

Well, in downtown Bristol, we are finally getting a new restaurant. Called something like "Macadoos" or something. It is going in that space where the old Sears building was standing, that was supposed to be a parking garage. I guess that parking garage is out... I have not heard anything about it in 2 years. :unsure:

Also, the pedestrian sidewalks are complete/near complete near the BMS in south Bristol and the "green light" has been given for the walkway overpass @ the track on Vol. Pkwy in south Bristol. Also, more restaurants reported to be going up in Bristol TN... finally.

In connecting Bristol VA, the new Target store at exit 7 is open and booming. It has a Pizza Hut inside, as well as Starbucks, which makes Starbucks #2 in Bristol VA. That exit 7 area has recently undergone another growth explosion. In that same complex soon to open are stores such as TJ Maxx, Books a million, Old Navy, etc. etc.

I have heard about that too. Not sure about any progress... its probably out the door too like our parking garage we were supposed to get. :rolleyes: When I emailed "the city" and asked about the garage project, they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about.

Great news! Macadoos is an awesome restaurant. I loved the one in Blacksburg near Virginia Tech.

I also heard something about a new Country museum coming to Downtown....has anyone heard about that?

Edited by Tennesseestorm

• 4 months later...

Thats what I was thinking.

All is pretty much quiet here in northeast TN. There are some developments going up here and there... the latest rave is the new huge shopping centers in east Kingsport and northeast Bristol.

The new overpass down at the BMS in Bristol is underway and alot of construction. Still talk of a Cheddars restaurant going up somewhere in BR TN, which is needed. There is also constant face lifting in downtown Bristol. The latest update was the new "old style" street lamps on the Tennessee side of State St in downtown Bristol. They look like the old lights from the 1950s, but sport the new halogen lamps and put off enough light to well illuminate even the VA side of the street. They are also working on the new restaurant that is supposedly going in down there.

Also the latest news is the country music center that is supposed to be going in downtown near the library.

Still no word on the proposed downtown parking garage, which is highly needed.

Sure must be quite in E. TN. I have not seen many people posting here recently. There has to be something going on over there. Hankster, how about some pictures of all that is happening in Chattanooga.

It's been a while since I've taken any. I'll try to take a few this upcoming weekend and get them posted.

Oops, did not specify. Yes, Knoxville. There is also a very large development on Cherokee Bluff that I finally saw the other day. Part of it is called The Woodlands, not sure about the newer area. Mainly student housing, I presume. Also an announcement that the old city hall will become Lincoln Memorial's new law school. The school plans to offer evening law degrees (as to not compete with the big boy) and eventually a few doctoral programs. In Bearden, construction is underway for a new town center featuring a hotel, retail, and commercial buildings.

Edited by Kitties Of Domination

Oops, did not specify. Yes, Knoxville. There is also a very large development on Cherokee Bluff that I finally saw the other day. Part of it is called The Woodlands, not sure about the newer area. Mainly student housing, I presume. Also an announcement that the old city hall will become Lincoln Memorial's new law school. The school plans to offer evening law degrees (as to not compete with the big boy) and eventually a few doctoral programs. In Bearden, construction is underway for a new town center featuring a hotel, retail, and commercial buildings.

Thanks for all the Knoxville updates. it's about time we had someone from Knoxville sharing development news on the forum. Welcome to the forum! We look forward to more updates.

Here's a rendering of the south waterfront project in Knoxville. It will transform the three miles on the south shore from heavily industrial to residential and commercial. Already, there are 500 homes under construction. For those unfamiliar with Knoxville, the central business district is on the north shore.

http://www.cityofknoxville.org/southwaterf...hshore_1200.pdf

From the KNS...

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/dec/30/t...ming-landscape/

Edited by ATLBrain

Here's a rendering of the south waterfront project in Knoxville. It will transform the three miles on the south shore from heavily industrial to residential and commercial. Already, there are 500 homes under construction. For those unfamiliar with Knoxville, the central business district is on the north shore.

http://www.cityofknoxville.org/southwaterf...hshore_1200.pdf

From the KNS...

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/dec/30/t...ming-landscape/

That is a good looking project. Brain, do you know if it is right on the river or not? If it is, these will have to be high priced for sure. I didn't see anything that gave the price of what these will go for.

I am glad to see that Knoxville is finally starting to realize how much the river can be worth to a city, especially after what Chattanooga has done.

That is a good looking project. Brain, do you know if it is right on the river or not? If it is, these will have to be high priced for sure. I didn't see anything that gave the price of what these will go for.

I am glad to see that Knoxville is finally starting to realize how much the river can be worth to a city, especially after what Chattanooga has done.

Yes, these are right on the river with a view of downtown. The homes are being built by several different developers. The first ones are from the high 100's up to mid-300's (those buildings behind the townhouses). The first townhouses going up now are in the high 300's and up. I'm guessing the views go for far more. I think the buildout will be apx. 10 years.

I saw a flyover video that showed two new bridges that look like Caletrava (sp?) creations with the high suspension towers etc. I'll try to locate it again for the link.

• 1 month later...

Here'e an flattering article about Chattanooga posted by Forbes magazine. It covers the city's comeback from rust belt relic to budding technology hub.

http://www.forbes.com/business/forbes/2008/0407/098.html

The SimCenter is credited with a lot of the interest in that city as mainstream companies are finding it to be a useful resource in running their businesses more efficiently/effectively. The center is shopping around for a new site, and the frontrunner is believed to be the old, abandoned foundry site at the base of Lookout Mountain along Broad Street. The mayor wants the downtown revival to extend all the way from the river to the mountain. My thanks to Insighter for posting this on another website.

• 1 month later...

Well, to update the big bridge in downtown Bristol is finally completed and about to open. I cannot wait to see the view of downtown from the bridge. I know there will be a nice view of Shelby Towers from the bridge (as you head toward Martin L King Jr. BLVD.), but not sure about the other parts of downtown.

I think the new downtown restaurant is about to be built.

Still NO word on the downtown parking garage, or the "20+ story" building that I heard was proposed for downtown. <_<