What's going on in East Tennessee?

Speaking of Kingsport, I found this interesting project listed on Bidclerk.com. It calls for the renovation of a 195 room hotel and the construction of two additional 55 room hotel towers. Construction is scheduled to start in July. Anybody know anything more about this?

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.786853.html

Thanks for posting that link and info. I knew nothing of it. Sounds interesting though. I have to take my car to Kingsport for servicing on Tuesday, so I will ask around some of the locals. Out of the all of the Tri-Cities, Kingsport has the lowest number of "taller" buildings. Bristol has about 5 buildings that are 10-11 stories high, Johnson City has about 3 that high, but I do not think Kingsport has one even that tall.

It will be interesting to see how high these "towers" are supposed to be. Hopefully 20 stories or higher and able to be viewed from I-26. :)

Here is a write-up in the Bristol paper about the new bridge....

http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/co...t_bridge/10217/

That's a nice looking bridge, and it's bound to be safer and faster now that you can travel over the train tracks and avoid the trains.

Thanks for posting that link and info. I knew nothing of it. Sounds interesting though. I have to take my car to Kingsport for servicing on Tuesday, so I will ask around some of the locals. Out of the all of the Tri-Cities, Kingsport has the lowest number of "taller" buildings. Bristol has about 5 buildings that are 10-11 stories high, Johnson City has about 3 that high, but I do not think Kingsport has one even that tall.

It will be interesting to see how high these "towers" are supposed to be. Hopefully 20 stories or higher and able to be viewed from I-26. :)

I hope you find out more about this project, and I hope the towers are just that. With only 55 units per tower, I'd be surprised if they are 20 stories, though.

Yeah, I will see what I can find out. To save land and to make a true skyscraper (which would be a first for northeast TN if it gets over 12 stories high), they should make one tall tower with 110 units and forget about the second one. ;)

I hope you find out more about this project, and I hope the towers are just that. With only 55 units per tower, I'd be surprised if they are 20 stories, though.

• 5 weeks later...

I think the tallest in Kingsport may be something over at Eastman or the Hospital. I think the parking garage with office on top at Holston Vally Med Center is 11 stories and some of the stuff at Eastman is taller but you cannot count the floors because of the nature of the building. Maybe some 150 foot buildings especially at the gasification plant.

You have to admit that the Eastman plant is very impressive the first time you lay eyes on it.

• 1 month later...

So what the hell is going on in Knoxville? It seems that all of the major cities in TN have topics to discuss except Knoxville.

Anything to report on the two proposed Downtown highrises?

Maybe Chattanooga should have it's own forum instead of being lumped in E. TN... :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Activity in Knoxville that I have noticed:

- Building going up for the hospital in the Ft. Sanders area

- Two cranes in north Knoxville on mystery project, I got some pics today...will post later

- UT building, I think its Computer and Electrical Engineering building on the east(?) side of campus closest to DT

- office building out west

- upgraded Neyland stadium suites

• 3 weeks later...

edit: Well I didn't do a very good job of linking to Google maps. I thought it would show street level. I will get actual pictures when I get back to Knoxville next week.

Knoxville updates:

Restoration of the building on the corner of Henley St. and Hill Avenue. Here on google maps at street level.

http://maps.google.c...ie7&q=knoxville,+tn&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSHB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Knoxville,+TN&gl=us&ei=6w_3StSXBc_S8Qb4o6zzCQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ8gEwAA

Another rennovation of a building DT at Broadway and where Jackson Ave, Oak Ave, and Worlds Fair Park Dr meet. I am not sure if it is going to be offices or condos.

http://maps.google.c...ie7&q=knoxville,+tn&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSHB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Knoxville,+TN&gl=us&ei=6w_3StSXBc_S8Qb4o6zzCQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ8gEwAA

Knoxville has many buildings like this that could be utilized if they had a little work.

A few examples:

This cool looking building on Broadway where it crosses the railroad gulch. Not sure for what it was used. Right before or after Depot Ave.

Also this building on the corner of Broadway and 5th Ave. It would be perfect for apraments or condos/town homes! I think someone was goiong to restore it because there is/was a sign there saying future home of 5th Ave homes or something like that. Unfortunately, I think the mission down the street, which does good work, negatively affects the area.

Edited by timmay143

• 2 months later...

East Tennesse (Clinton in Anderson Co.) lands a solar power technology related manufacturing plant.

Per the Tennesean:

Solar company to build plant in East Tennessee

BY CHAS SISK • THE TENNESSEAN • JANUARY 21, 2010

Gov. Phil Bredesen’s administration has struck a deal with a start-up company to build a factor that will make components for the solar industry in East Tennessee, in an investment that could eventually reach $200 million and employee as many as 250 people.

Bredesen announced Thursday that Confluence Solar, a firm based in suburban St. Louis2_bing.gif, will build a plant that will produce silicon ingots in the Anderson County town of Clinton. The state will extend tax credits and other incentives to help the plant build infrastructure and train workers. The deal is the third major solar investment Bredesen has announced in the past 14 months. It comes on the heels of Hemlock Semiconductor’s plant outside Clarksville and Wacker Chemie’s facility in Bradley County. “Once again, despite the clouds and rain outside, you could say the sun is shining onTennessee2_bing.gif,” said Matt Kisber, the state’s commissioner for economic and community development.

Confluence Solar officials said they did not yet know when they would break ground on the facility. They also did not know how many people it would employee when it opens, saying both the timetable for construction and initial employment would be determined based on how quickly the market for their products develops.

Solar company to build plant in East Tennessee

Edited by timmay143

Looks like downtown chattanooga could be getting some more hotels soon....

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jan/03/more-downtown-hotels-planned/?business

Downtown Chattanooga has come to host an array of new hotels in the past decade, and a stunning $79 million in new lodging is on the drawing board.

The riverfront and the central business district are in line for a total of at least four new hotels — if they are all built.

The economic downturn has delayed construction of some projects that were announced earlier.

Kim White, who heads the private, nonprofit downtown redevelopment group RiverCity Co., said she expects movement on the hotels when credit starts flowing more freely.

“We have a lot out-of-town investors who have spent a lot money and projects are all teed up ready for a break in the whole financial market,” she said.

Mrs. White said she definitely thinks more hotel rooms are needed.

“When a large convention comes into town, there isn’t enough space,” she said.

Sue Lauffer, senior project consultant on the planned Crowne Plaza in the former Chattanooga Bank & Trust Building downtown, said the city is seen as a growth market.

“Chattanooga has that perfect blend of corporate, retail, residential, and there’s a phenomenal amount of things to do downtown,” she said.

CLP Development LLC of Atlanta, which has proposed the $24 million hotel and condominium revamp at Eighth and Broad streets, is finalizing the project with plans to start early this year, Ms. Lauffer said.

Developer Ben Parker, who is eyeing a hotel in a converted Maclellan Building on Broad, said views from atop the proposed 12-story hotel will be like nothing else the area has to offer.

He said financing delays have held up the project, which he hopes to start early this year as well. Mr. Parker predicted a pretty easy renovation with the way the building is laid out.

Vision Hospitality Group, a Chattanooga-based hotel management and development company, has proposed a Hampton Inn & Suites at Fourth and Chestnut streets.

“We’re still in the works on the financing,” said Hitel Patel, the group’s director of development and acquisitions.

He cited the transformation of downtown since the opening of the Tennessee Aquarium and the strength of the leisure market in the city.

Vision recently invested about $27 million into transforming a Clarion Hotel into the Doubletree on Chestnut, and its relatively new Holiday Inn Express opened on M.L. King Drive.

“It’s our home base,” Mr. Patel said about Chattanooga.

The North Shore also has been mentioned in recent years as a site for hotels. Vision is looking at a unit at Manufacturers Road and Cherokee Boulevard near the new BridgeView condo project.

Mrs. White said the plannted hotels offer variety in terms of services and price points and that’s good. Chattanooga’s downtown draws a wide range of visitors, she said.

“Our downtown is built for everyone,” she said. “It’s a testament to the wide variety of interests we appeal to — from the Head of the Hooch with all the young college kids to young families who come to visit the aquarium.”

On the wish lists of some is a new hotel near the Chattanooga Convention Center. Convention officials have said the city is losing meetings because of a lack of rooms near the center.

While the meetings business has risen with the expansion of the Convention Center earlier this decade, a new hotel near the facility would help take business to another level, officials have said.

Downtown Chattanooga has about 2,000 hotel rooms, according to tourism officials.

Mrs. White said Volkswagen and suppliers will drive more lodging traffic.

“We will have I think more out-of-town people who are coming because of that,” she said.

In addition, locally based 3H Group is planning a Spring Hill Suites as part of the Cameron Harbor mixed use project off Riverfront Parkway on part of the former Jones-Blair property.

Additionally, Chattanooga developer Allen Casey has talked about a hotel on Manufacturers Road as part of a larger development on property across the Tennessee River from Ross’s Landing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Yikes, this place is DEAD. I'll try to post more! Have recently rekindled my Nashville interest.

Found this story on a new renovation in downtown Knoxville:

Historic building given new look and entirely new function

It used to be a Union National Bank in the 1920s. Now it's one of the newest residential buildings in downtown Knoxville.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Henley St. Bridge in DT Knoxville is closing in a few minutes for 3 years!! Repairs are being made for structural improvements.

Henley Street bridge is closed

edit: Well that report has 24 to 30 months. I heard 3 years somewhere else.

TDOT webpage for Henley St. Bridge repair

WOW, I didn't realize they were tearing it down and starting from scratch!!!!

Edited by timmay143

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Landings Apartments near Volunteer Landing. I don't get to see that area much. I will have to get down there and get some pictures.

Waterfront apartments making progress

5348107524_a644404c19.jpg

Landings 005-thumb-500x375-18519 by timmay143, on Flickr

5347497705_7a1cf70fc6.jpg

Landings 006-thumb-500x375-18521 by timmay143, on Flickr

Edited by timmay143

Wow, I remember seeing this guy back a few years ago. Update on the Met. Not completely dead, but IMO, highly unlikely. Would be cool if built. Knoxville could use a few more modern mid-rises.

Deadline for The Met passes with no sale

5348055488_06758ca002.jpg

TheMet by timmay143, on Flickr

Edited by timmay143

Interested in development going on in Knoxville, East TN, and TN? Sign for email alerts to:

It's by the Knox News Sentinel newspaper. I find it quite helpful to keep up with things going on in Knoxville. They even post topics about others areas in East TN such as Chattanooga and other areas of TN such as Nashville and Memphis.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/flory/

Edited by timmay143