Upstate Engineering Snafus

upstate29650

A general topic to post what you think are (were) poorly designed buildings, roads, etc, in the upstate.

My first one is I-85 north from I-385 to Pelham Rd. Why wasn't 85 allowed to be 4 lanes up to the Pelham Rd. exit? It would have made sense to allow the 4th (far right) lane to exit directly onto Pelham, instead of ending 1/4 mi before the exit. Now during evening rush, cars waiting to exit back up onto an overly congested 3 laned I-85.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hands down to I-85/I-385. Excluding I-385's southbound distributor ramp to Atlanta and Spartanburg, most of the ramps and bridges are late 1960s/early 1970s designed/built.

US 25/US 276 gets its own mention. The intersections lack connections for US 25 N to US 276 E, US 25 S to US 276 W, US 276 E to US 25 N, and US 276 W to US 25 S.

A general topic to post what you think are (were) poorly designed buildings, roads, etc, in the upstate.

My first one is I-85 north from I-385 to Pelham Rd. Why wasn't 85 allowed to be 4 lanes up to the Pelham Rd. exit? It would have made sense to allow the 4th (far right) lane to exit directly onto Pelham, instead of ending 1/4 mi before the exit. Now during evening rush, cars waiting to exit back up onto an overly congested 3 laned I-85.

I agree with you there 100%. The fourth lane extends almost all the way to Pelham Road and gives the unwitting driver the illusion that it will turn into the exit lane for the Pelham Road exit, but NO! It suddenly merges back to the left into the I-85 traffic before the Pelham Road exit begins just a couple hundred yards further down the road. Was that last few hundred yards just too expensive to pave? Ugh.

Archived