Destruction in Chalmette,LA

NCB

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man that's bad. You oughta see lower Plaquemines as well.

It's so strange... St Bernard is a quck ferry ride from where I live... probably no more than 3 miles away. The difference is amazing from one side of the river to the other. It's terrible what happens when the levees disolve and water crashes through the area, which is what happened to St Bernard.

Is this where you're from NCB?

Nope, I am from Covington, a city of 9,000(now its more like 90,000) north of Lake Ponchartrain.

Will all the houses have to be torn down?

Yes, most likely all of them will have to torn down.

The parish president has said that 99% of the houses in his parish ar un-inhabitable. :(

^A very large amount of Saint Bernard Parish residents have moved to Covinton, to get away from the thread of flooding. Some of the parish will be built back up, but he majority(at least 80% IMO) may not return to the area, and will move to another area of the state or another state altogether.

My parents live in St. Bernard Parish. Needless to say, they lost everything. They are living in Livingston Parish right now in a camper in a private camp ground. They are covered by flood and homeowner's insurance and are basically waiting on the process to go through the motions and will return to St. Bernard Parish and rebuild, ASAP. I'm thinking they will be back in 6 to 9 months, at the latest. The damage in St. Bernard is mind-boggling, but, the parish will rebuild and infrastructure issues will be addressed, as well. Possibly another interstate or a much wider east/west highway are issues being addressed presently.

I don't recall seeing this mentioned, so forgive me if I'm mentioning something already covered. Which do you see having a harder time recovering large urban areas like New Orleans or smaller and more rural areas? And also which areas do you think will have a better chance of having their old populations come back?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the damage in these places is incredible. I must say thank you to NCB for posting them.

I was sent some pictures of the destruction a couple of weeks ago by a relative of mine who lives in Biloxi/Pascagoula (my Dad's family has lived there since the mid-1700's). I would have posted them, but he doesn't want these to be posted.

BTW: they are safe, although almost every house but their's on their street was knocked over or heavily damaged.

I was sent some pictures of the destruction a couple of weeks ago by a relative of mine who lives in Biloxi/Pascagoula (my Dad's family has lived there since the mid-1700's). I would have posted them, but he doesn't want these to be posted.

BTW: they are safe, although almost every house but their's on their street was knocked over or heavily damaged.

^Glad to hear you family made it through Katrina safely, IC. :)

Archived