Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCB

Destruction in Chalmette,LA

NCB    1

Chalmette is a city of 32,000 in Saint Bernard Parish, about 2 miles from New Orleans. Chalmette was the location of the Battle of New Orleans.

After Katrina...

chalmette12xn.jpg

chalmette20az.jpg

chalmette32cg.jpg

chalmette44jh.jpg

chalmette58ka.jpg

chalmette65py.jpg

chalmette73cu.jpg

chalmette83eq.jpg

chalmette97ad.jpg

chalmette109mm.jpg

chalmette111rq.jpg

chalmette124mp.jpg

chalmette137zs.jpg

RiverwoodCLT    386

Bad

Hope the people there can recover. Their lost can never be replace

as far as personal iterms.

Will all the houses have to be torn down?

Also, if looks like the British won this battle. Those da&% British.

TSmith    0

Man that's bad. You oughta see lower Plaquemines as well.

It's so strange... St Bernard is a quck ferry ride from where I live... probably no more than 3 miles away. The difference is amazing from one side of the river to the other. It's terrible what happens when the levees disolve and water crashes through the area, which is what happened to St Bernard.

NCB    1

Is this where you're from NCB?

Nope, I am from Covington, a city of 9,000(now its more like 90,000) north of Lake Ponchartrain.

Will all the houses have to be torn down?

Yes, most likely all of them will have to torn down.

The parish president has said that 99% of the houses in his parish ar un-inhabitable. :(

RiverwoodCLT    386

How much do you think will be built back?

Does insurance cover any of the cost?

I don't think words can describe this disaster in the terms of the lost people who lived there suffered.

NCB    1

^A very large amount of Saint Bernard Parish residents have moved to Covinton, to get away from the thread of flooding. Some of the parish will be built back up, but he majority(at least 80% IMO) may not return to the area, and will move to another area of the state or another state altogether.

habitat67    0

NCB -- does Covinton have the resources and infrastructure to support this influx in population? Will it be able to handle this surge in residents? Could it end up being a good thing for your town/city?

alon504    0

My parents live in St. Bernard Parish. Needless to say, they lost everything. They are living in Livingston Parish right now in a camper in a private camp ground. They are covered by flood and homeowner's insurance and are basically waiting on the process to go through the motions and will return to St. Bernard Parish and rebuild, ASAP. I'm thinking they will be back in 6 to 9 months, at the latest. The damage in St. Bernard is mind-boggling, but, the parish will rebuild and infrastructure issues will be addressed, as well. Possibly another interstate or a much wider east/west highway are issues being addressed presently.

NCB    1

^Glad to hear your parents made it out safely, and that they plan to return to Saint Bernard. :)

Mith242    69

I don't recall seeing this mentioned, so forgive me if I'm mentioning something already covered. Which do you see having a harder time recovering large urban areas like New Orleans or smaller and more rural areas? And also which areas do you think will have a better chance of having their old populations come back?

ironchapman    1

Wow, the damage in these places is incredible. I must say thank you to NCB for posting them.

I was sent some pictures of the destruction a couple of weeks ago by a relative of mine who lives in Biloxi/Pascagoula (my Dad's family has lived there since the mid-1700's). I would have posted them, but he doesn't want these to be posted.

BTW: they are safe, although almost every house but their's on their street was knocked over or heavily damaged.

NCB    1

I was sent some pictures of the destruction a couple of weeks ago by a relative of mine who lives in Biloxi/Pascagoula (my Dad's family has lived there since the mid-1700's). I would have posted them, but he doesn't want these to be posted.

BTW: they are safe, although almost every house but their's on their street was knocked over or heavily damaged.

^Glad to hear you family made it through Katrina safely, IC. :)