• Conway
    • Springdale
    • Fort Smith
    • Fayetteville

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rogers would be a good choice as well. I think Fayetteville will, though I'm also afraid that at some point Fayetteville and Springdale will level off at or below 100k and most of the growth will be in surrounding communities. It's always really tough to tell. I agree about Conway choking itself off to an extent. Ft Smith seems fairly stagnant right now, Jonesboro might be the best bet with aggressive annexation.

I should have added Rogers to the list. But they would be the lowest on the list and I just don't think that Rogers can surpass Sprindale or Fayetteville. Cities like Bentonville, Centerton, Lowell, and Cave Springs are probably going to take the majority of the citizens in Benton County. But projections do have Rogers passing Fayetteville up in around 30 or 40 years.

Forgot about my own Hometown. :cry:

I still think that Fayetteville will continue to add homes and population due to it being classified as more urban. And with the University, so many young people are still flocking to Fayetteville. Condos, Single Family Homes, Apartments, you name it, Fayetteville is aggressively developing it. They have some good developments going on that are pretty big.

Edited by mcheiss

Which city do you see the first to reach 100,000 in population?

My guess is that Conway will be the first. Fayetteville does currently have a good lead on Conway, but with all the restrictions on development and so forth in Fayetteville, I gave Conway the nod. Also, Faulkner County is the second fastest growing county in Arkansas. It's hard for me to imagine Springdale to continue growing as rapidly as it is because of the issue of urban flight there, and the overall image of the city. Fort Smith is the largest by a good margin, but its growth rate is too slow. Jonesboro is growing into a very healthy city, but it's just not doing so at the pace of Conway. Another reason I picked Conway is that their proximity to Little Rock gives them a large pool from which to draw residents. The downside to picking Conway is that major roadwork is needed to expand the highway and city streets there. Harkrider is a contender for the most congested street in Arkansas.

My guess is that Conway will be the first. Fayetteville does currently have a good lead on Conway, but with all the restrictions on development and so forth in Fayetteville, I gave Conway the nod. Also, Faulkner County is the second fastest growing county in Arkansas. It's hard for me to imagine Springdale to continue growing as rapidly as it is because of the issue of urban flight there, and the overall image of the city. Fort Smith is the largest by a good margin, but its growth rate is too slow. Jonesboro is growing into a very healthy city, but it's just not doing so at the pace of Conway. Another reason I picked Conway is that their proximity to Little Rock gives them a large pool from which to draw residents. The downside to picking Conway is that major roadwork is needed to expand the highway and city streets there. Harkrider is a contender for the most congested street in Arkansas.

Conway's city leaders are all over it, though.

They are conducting a Census that will vastly improve funding once completed.

But, the dumbest thing I have seen is Metroplan not wanting to three lane the interstate between Conway and Little Rock. If that stretch of road doesn't need it, then I don't know what does.

My vote went for fayetteville because it's proximity to all those major companies plus the University....

I agree about the major companies, but Conway has a huge University presence as well. UCA is expected to be up to over 12,000 after next year, at which point they will choke off growth. Add in Central Baptist College and Hendrix and you have close to 15,000 college students. Now, UA is growing as well, but as far as the University situations go I believe it's basically a push between the two towns.

Very good question. All have potential problems at some point. Ft Smith is growing, but it gets overshadowed because of northwest Arkansas. But I'm not sure if it's growing fast enough to get there first. Conway certainly has a good shot, although it runs the risk on choking on it's own rapid growth. I guess I'm wondering how Little Rock's developments will effect it. All of Little Rock's growth was going to it's suburbs for a while now. But I see all these condo developments going on and I wonder if this will help stem the tide of everyone moving to the suburbs. Which could affect how quickly Conway grows. Fayetteville certainly has a good shot if it wanted it. But it's been slowing down it's own growth for quite a while now. Fayetteville wants to grow but it wants it on it's own terms. I guess it's more a matter of can they infrastructure down fast enough for Fayetteville to consider allowing that many more people in the city. Springdale's growth has been amazing, just in the last few years. But you have to wonder if they don't start running into more problems pretty soon. And even if it does manage it, it will unfortunately probably still be known more as a bedroom community for the rest of northwest Arkansas. Perhpas that would change if it were to reach this size. Jonesboro could be a sleeper here. They've certainly been doing a great job over there. All this recent development will certainly help bring in more growth I think. Even though Rogers isn't on the list I think it also could have a shot. Look at all it's growth, and Benton County is the fasting growing county in the state. And all these businesses and restaurants aren't going in there for no reason. It may not have the head statrt the others have but it's got a shot. ( Matt I saw you post over on the other topic. You subconsciencely left out Rogers because you're considering leaving and coming to Fayetteville :D ) With almost all the cities it's more a question of can they keep up with the growth and infrastructure needs to keep going at this pace. For Ft Smith it's more, can they grow fast enough to do it before one of these other fast growth cities do it. But it is closer and probably better equipped to handle the amount of growth. This will be wishful thinking, but I guess I'll go with Fayetteville. Hoping they will keep up with infrastructure and will become more urban. Or maybe I can just add students which is around 17,000-18,000 and they are trying to reach a goal of 22,000 in the near future and claim Fayetteville will pretty soon.

Edited by Mith242

( Matt I saw you post over on the other topic. You subconsciencely left out Rogers because you're considering leaving and coming to Fayetteville :D )

I accidently forgot it, but I do see Rogers being a major contendor to reach 100,000. Fayetteville does have about 20,000 more residents than Rogers. Rogers would be the lowest on the list with about 48,000 and Fayetteville has around 70,000. Rogers is experiencing amazing growth, but the city is practically surrounded by a lot of other cities. Lowell to the south, Cave Springs to the Southeast, Little Flock to the North, Bentonville to the Northwest, Centerton to the west. Rogers only has about 15% undeveloped land in it's city limits. Rogers is either going to have to take over a city like Lowell or such, or develop more things like condos and such. There is a good enough market, but I just see Fayetteville continuing with growth. With more "urbanism" in place, I think Fayetteville is about the best choice. I could see Rogers doing amazing in terms of population growth, but I think Rogers will loose a lot of contendors to neighboring cities.

I accidently forgot it, but I do see Rogers being a major contendor to reach 100,000. Fayetteville does have about 20,000 more residents than Rogers. Rogers would be the lowest on the list with about 48,000 and Fayetteville has around 70,000. Rogers is experiencing amazing growth, but the city is practically surrounded by a lot of other cities. Lowell to the south, Cave Springs to the Southeast, Little Flock to the North, Bentonville to the Northwest, Centerton to the west. Rogers only has about 15% undeveloped land in it's city limits. Rogers is either going to have to take over a city like Lowell or such, or develop more things like condos and such. There is a good enough market, but I just see Fayetteville continuing with growth. With more "urbanism" in place, I think Fayetteville is about the best choice. I could see Rogers doing amazing in terms of population growth, but I think Rogers will loose a lot of contendors to neighboring cities.

Well Rogers may not be the favorite but they still have a chance. As far as being surrounded that applies to many places in northwest Arkansas. Everyone has been going for a land grab. The smaller towns are annexing land trying to keep the larger cities from encroaching them. The bigger cities want more land to help further developments and growth. In some ways this might help some of the cities up here to perhaps start looking upward more than outward. I'm also this condo phase isn't something temporary and it keeps going for a long time.

Well Rogers may not be the favorite but they still have a chance. As far as being surrounded that applies to many places in northwest Arkansas. Everyone has been going for a land grab. The smaller towns are annexing land trying to keep the larger cities from encroaching them. The bigger cities want more land to help further developments and growth. In some ways this might help some of the cities up here to perhaps start looking upward more than outward. I'm also this condo phase isn't something temporary and it keeps going for a long time.

I hope so. I would like to see more large scale condo projects in Rogers, especially Downtown. There's potential, and it could have an effect like it's having on Fayetteville's Downtown.

There is only one condo project going on in Rogers. The old Peachtree at the lane building. Hopefully that will spark a lot more development. Downtown Rogers is developing pretty good, but I would like to see more there.

I hope so. I would like to see more large scale condo projects in Rogers, especially Downtown. There's potential, and it could have an effect like it's having on Fayetteville's Downtown.

There is only one condo project going on in Rogers. The old Peachtree at the lane building. Hopefully that will spark a lot more development. Downtown Rogers is developing pretty good, but I would like to see more there.

I think it will just take a little time. Wait till after some of these other big developments are finished and going. I think they will also help spark other developments once they are done and attracting more people and businesses.

I hope so, there's a lot of land in Downtown Rogers, and lot of property I would like to see cleaned up.

If Rogers could make something like Fayetteville has done with their master plan, I think the conditions for a small urban core in Benton County could be formed over there.

Edited by mcheiss

Anyone think that Jonesboro can outdo Fayetteville and Conway?

I wouldn't say it's impossible but not likely. Perhaps if the rest of northwest Arkansas help siphon off some of Fayetteville's population growth, if it wasn't to remain pretty much the top city people want to live in northwest Arkansas. And maybe if Little Rock could keep more of the population within it's city limits with more condos and such and if Conway starts strangling itself with so much growth that it can't handle. But I guess both would probably have to suffer from other nearby cities. Jonesboro is more off to itself. I wonder if Jonesboro would have any better time trying to handle the major growth needed to head off Conway anf Fayetteville or any other northwest Arkansas city.

I wouldn't say it's impossible but not likely. Perhaps if the rest of northwest Arkansas help siphon off some of Fayetteville's population growth, if it wasn't to remain pretty much the top city people want to live in northwest Arkansas. And maybe if Little Rock could keep more of the population within it's city limits with more condos and such and if Conway starts strangling itself with so much growth that it can't handle. But I guess both would probably have to suffer from other nearby cities. Jonesboro is more off to itself. I wonder if Jonesboro would have any better time trying to handle the major growth needed to head off Conway anf Fayetteville or any other northwest Arkansas city.

What would keep Jonesoboro going?

I know they have a nestle plant, but you'd have to have more big projects like that, along with office jobs and such.

What would keep Jonesoboro going?

I know they have a nestle plant, but you'd have to have more big projects like that, along with office jobs and such.

That's true, while it's a center in it's area, I'm not sure if there would be enough jobs to get it to above 100,000. Especially before other areas. It would also have to have something move into the area to provide more jobs to get it to a city that size.

Baldor is another big one, Beverly Enterprises, along with the 188th Fighter Wing.

True, although I wonder if Beverly will be staying in Ft Smith for very long. They said that when they got bought out, but things like that are always said. I wouldn't be too surprised if it ended up leaving sometime in the near future. But yes I did forget about Baldor and the 188th.

I'm not sure in Beverly will stay in Ft. Smith, I would really like to see it stay, because I know that would have a horrible effect on Ft. Smith.

I am glad though the 188th was recommended to be upgraded.

I'm still waiting to see if all of that is set in stone. From what I heard what they have now is bsically being taken away and sent to the Kirkland Air Force Base near Albuquerque. Then they are closing down something in the northeast and then that will become the 188th. But I've heard that city in the northeast plans to fight the decision.