• Conway
    • Springdale
    • Fort Smith
    • Fayetteville

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If things like this continue, I wonder if Ft. Smith's population will remain stagnat or flat.

it's been growing desptite what many people think. It just gets overshadowed by northwest Arkansas' big growth. But losing some of thos companies and such could slow things down.

it's been growing desptite what many people think. It just gets overshadowed by northwest Arkansas' big growth. But losing some of thos companies and such could slow things down.

Fort Smith's jobs are primarily manufacturing. I know Whirlpool already cut one shift and they may loose some more production numbers to another plant in Mexico.

Fort Smith's jobs are primarily manufacturing. I know Whirlpool already cut one shift and they may loose some more production numbers to another plant in Mexico.

That's true, it's another reason why Arkansas shouldn't focus so much on manufacturing. A while back ago a lot of factories were closed or moved and it some areas of Arkansas pretty hard because those were their main job providers.

That's true, it's another reason why Arkansas shouldn't focus so much on manufacturing. A while back ago a lot of factories were closed or moved and it some areas of Arkansas pretty hard because those were their main job providers.

We need to take a stronger stance on business, technology, transportation, tourism. That's where I see the bulk of the new jobs coming to the state.

We need to take a stronger stance on business, technology, transportation, tourism. That's where I see the bulk of the new jobs coming to the state.

I do think that Arkansas does pretty good on tourism. But I do think we should broaden our tourism to different types. Not just mainly focusing on just the natural aspect. I will say this though, I haven't seen another state with a better state park system.

Edited by Mith242

There's parts of Beaver Lake and the Quachitas that I could see Hotels, Condo's, and such continuing to come. There's a lot of potential, especially in Beaver Lake since it really hasn't been exploided.

True both areas have potential. I always thought Hot Springs has a lot of potential and could become a lot more.

True both areas have potential. I always thought Hot Springs has a lot of potential and could become a lot more.

That's true too.

I think that Beaver Lake is just too close to a large populated area to not have condo's and development.

Isn't there already condo's and lakehomes in Hot Springs?

That's true too.

I think that Beaver Lake is just too close to a large populated area to not have condo's and development.

A ridiculous number of them, yes.

Nonetheless, NWA outside of the older part of Fayetteville and Eureka doesn't have much in the way of tourism possibilities. Hot Springs is a pure tourist town and really should be a lot more popular than it is as a regional destination. It is fairly popular with Louisiana and Texans but not much outside of that.

A ridiculous number of them, yes.

Nonetheless, NWA outside of the older part of Fayetteville and Eureka doesn't have much in the way of tourism possibilities. Hot Springs is a pure tourist town and really should be a lot more popular than it is as a regional destination. It is fairly popular with Louisiana and Texans but not much outside of that.

I would say that Beaver lake in NWA has a lot of tourist possibilites.

Lake Hamilton is by far the most built-up lake in Arkansas, and construction projects are still springing up along its shores. I really don't see how it can handle anymore boat traffic than it does now without becoming too dangerous.

Hot Springs isn't a huge town, but that's not the type of place it's trying to be, or should be. It does have very good shopping and dining for a city of its size. If I had to live in another city besides Little Rock, it would probably be Hot Springs. It's just a wonderful place.

I would say that Beaver lake in NWA has a lot of tourist possibilites.

Having spent some time there it is nice but with Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri nearby and established "tourist lakes" in Quachita and Hamilton right by Hot Springs and Greers Ferry/Heber Springs, I'm not sure the market's there. I see it more as a nice backdrop for Benton Co residential development.

I will also agree that Hot Springs is a very nice place. It certainly has improved itself since it's problems in the 80's and early 90's. I know they have condos there but I'm not aware of any huge ones. Or maybe I should say any that are built up. And yes there are a lot of lakefront homes. Especially since some of the lakes were done before the Corp of Engineers was around so you could build houses right up to the lakefront. Which you can't do anymore. I'm curious to see what's in store for Hot Springs' future. Arkansawyer you mentioned it's trying to be a town it shouldn't try to be. What do you mean exactly?

Edited by Mith242

I will also agree that Hot Springs is a very nice place. It certainly has improved itself since it's problems in the 80's and early 90's. I know they have condos there but I'm not aware of any huge ones. Or maybe I should say any that are built up. And yes there are a lot of lakefront homes. Especially since some of the lakes were done before the Corp of Engineers was around so you could build houses right up to the lakefront. Which you can't do anymore. I'm curious to see what's in store for Hot Springs' future. Arkansawyer you mentioned it's trying to be a town it shouldn't try to be. What do you mean exactly?

Reread my post; I actually said the opposite.

Regarding the lack of huge condos, there are actually several large projects going up along Lake Hamilton. Property values have gotten so high, and land so scarce, that this is the trend. I've actually heard that speculators from Texas are snatching up much of the lake property.

Regarding the lack of huge condos, there are actually several large projects going up along Lake Hamilton. Property values have gotten so high, and land so scarce, that this is the trend. I've actually heard that speculators from Texas are snatching up much of the lake property.

how big of projects, like multi-story condos?

how big of projects, like multi-story condos?

I'm just speaking off the top of my head, but there are new condos around three, four, or five stories. Of course, there are already some a bit taller than that. I'm not an expert on the Hot Springs condo market, but I'm just reporting what I've seen when I've been down there.

Oops you're right, guess I got in too big of a hurry reading, sorry. I hadn't heard of any condo projects down there. Where's Johnny, why isn't he keeping us up to date? :D It doesn't surprise me about Texas. In some ways I guess I'm a little surprised they haven't made their influence known more here in northwest Arkansas. I know similar things have happened out in New Mexico. I think a lot of people in New Mexico resent their neighbors to the east.

I voted Conway, but I think it's a shot in the dark. A lot of it will depend on incorporation over the next decade or so. Jonesboro is already the 2nd largest city in land area, which is one of the reasons the population in near 60K. Despite it's slightly slower growth rate (and I emphasize slightly), Ft. Smith has a great shot at hitting this mark. I rule out Fayetteville, Rogers, et al, because of the fact that their city limits touch, limiting the amount of occupied land each city can incorporate. At nearly 80K residents, Ft. Smith is awefully close already. So many factors...

I voted Conway, but I think it's a shot in the dark. A lot of it will depend on incorporation over the next decade or so. Jonesboro is already the 2nd largest city in land area, which is one of the reasons the population in near 60K. Despite it's slightly slower growth rate (and I emphasize slightly), Ft. Smith has a great shot at hitting this mark. I rule out Fayetteville, Rogers, et al, because of the fact that their city limits touch, limiting the amount of occupied land each city can incorporate. At nearly 80K residents, Ft. Smith is awefully close already. So many factors...

Very good points. You may very well be right. A lot of land has already been taken up by cities in northwest Arkansas. Eventually these cities might have to build up if they want to continue growth. I think Fayetteville is helped by the fact they are at the end of the metro. It's certainly not flat land that's not easily developed but there is still options to the south and southeast. But I still question just how much growth Fayetteville will try to allow.

Oops you're right, guess I got in too big of a hurry reading, sorry. I hadn't heard of any condo projects down there. Where's Johnny, why isn't he keeping us up to date? :D It doesn't surprise me about Texas. In some ways I guess I'm a little surprised they haven't made their influence known more here in northwest Arkansas. I know similar things have happened out in New Mexico. I think a lot of people in New Mexico resent their neighbors to the east.

I haven't ventured out of this building for 2 months!

That's why I left out Rogers out of the poll. The city is surrounded by cities on practically every side of it's borders. Lowell to the South, Bentonville to the Northwest, Little Flock to the North, and Cave Springs to the Southwest. Unless Rogers starts to build up more, than the only way I could see them beating cities like Conway or Jonesoboro is incorporating with other cities. There's still plently of land to develop in Rogers and land out near Cave Springs and Highfill that could be annexed by the city, but a lot has to happen if Rogers will ever be first. 47% of the land in Rogers is still zoned as agricultural, so there could be a chance for Rogers to zone all that land into Single and Multi Family Housing, yet other cities in NW Arkansas are also growing in Housing, so it makes for one city in NWA to reach 100,000 a little bit harder.

Edited by mcheiss

That's why I left out Rogers out of the poll. The city is surrounded by cities on practically every side of it's borders. Lowell to the South, Bentonville to the Northwest, Little Flock to the North, and Cave Springs to the Southwest. Unless Rogers starts to build up more, than the only way I could see them beating cities like Conway or Jonesoboro is incorporating with other cities. There's still plently of land to develop in Rogers and land out near Cave Springs and Highfill that could be annexed by the city, but a lot has to happen if Rogers will ever be first. 47% of the land in Rogers is still zoned as agricultural, so there could be a chance for Rogers to zone all that land into Single and Multi Family Housing, yet other cities in NW Arkansas are also growing in Housing, so it makes for one city in NWA to reach 100,000 a little bit harder.

What if they went east towards Beaver Lake, granted you can't go too far that way. But also what about northeast towards the Grandview Heights in the Coose Hollow of Beaver Lake? If there's one thing to all of this is that the lack of land for some cities here in northwest Arkansas might end up pushing for some of the cities to build up and help create more of an urban area. But I still think there quite a bit of land around to develop. Hopefully they won't waste it all on sprawling developments.

What if they went east towards Beaver Lake, granted you can't go too far that way. But also what about northeast towards the Grandview Heights in the Coose Hollow of Beaver Lake? If there's one thing to all of this is that the lack of land for some cities here in northwest Arkansas might end up pushing for some of the cities to build up and help create more of an urban area. But I still think there quite a bit of land around to develop. Hopefully they won't waste it all on sprawling developments.

Beaver Lake is somewhat rocky and mountainous in this area. I could see more homes and condo's being built out there, but land is a little more to develop out there. Our best option is to build up and use up what land we do have and annex land out near Centerton and Cave Springs. There is a lot of land that still can be developed, but you still have to think about the future and annexing and such.