Who will be the first to 100,000  

86 members have voted

1. 1. In terms of population

• Jonesboro
    • Conway
    • Springdale
    • Fort Smith
    • Fayetteville

It just occured to me that there are no cities aside from LR above that mark (and LR will approach 200,000 next census - and would be pushing 260,000 counting the city's 8th ward...oops, I mean NLR). Strange in a state pushing 3M. Arkansas' population is very diffuse (rural) compared to many states, but that is rapidly changing of course with population densifying in the central and NW parts of the state.

p.s. An entry on wikipedia for Little Rock erroneously states "A special 2007 census indicates that Little Rock has 238,934 people." Whatever.

I agree, Arkansas had so far resisted becoming very urban. But like you said that is now changing. I'm curious to see how thing change in Arkansas as more population gather in central Arkansas and NWA. As both of those areas start having more pull for what goes on in the state.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree...pretty impressive. I didn't realize it had that type of draw, though many in north-central Arkansas regularly travel to Springfield rather than LR due to proximity (and the avoidance of driving down through the mountains!).

I've never had a chance to spend much time in Springfield...fill us in on what's happening there.

Springfield has a very, very diverse economy and it seems to do very well for the area. We have a lot of corporate presence here like JP Morgan Chase, TMobile, AT&T, O'reilly Auto Parts Headquarters, Bass Pro Headquarters, Hiland Diary.....and alot more. Springfield has been the dominate city in the Ozarks for a long time and I think that has alot to do with it as well. Of course being off of one of the countries busiest Intersates helps a little too.

It just occured to me that there are no cities aside from LR above that mark (and LR will approach 200,000 next census - and would be pushing 260,000 counting the city's 8th ward...oops, I mean NLR). Strange in a state pushing 3M. Arkansas' population is very diffuse (rural) compared to many states, but that is rapidly changing of course with population densifying in the central and NW parts of the state.

p.s. An entry on wikipedia for Little Rock erroneously states "A special 2007 census indicates that Little Rock has 238,934 people." Whatever.

Yeah, that's outrageous. LR's definitely adding more people than is has in a while and will approach 200,000 in the next census. It would easily hit that number with a bit more aggressive western annexation as some of the new West LR development is really in the county at this point but within LR's planning zone. 243,000? Even with annexing all of Western Pulaski Co and the Alexander area bordering LR it couldn't hit that.

I think LR will soon grow more briskly as there's a Hispanic boom on the horizon that will help fill more older housing and fuel more apartment construction.

In any case, we're the exception rather than the rule in that we aren't shrinking. Most core cities in the South are losing people, some alarmingly so.

The Census Bureau lists the 2000 population of Little Rock at 183,133 and the 2005 population estimate at 184,564. With that level of growth (or lack thereof), I wouldn't expect LR to get too close to 200,000 by 2010.

2006 estimate was 187,600 and there's a lot of new construction in far West LR that is expected to push things up over 190k by then. Again, the issue is annexation. There are easily 20k living near LR's western borders.

2006 estimate was 187,600 and there's a lot of new construction in far West LR that is expected to push things up over 190k by then. Again, the issue is annexation. There are easily 20k living near LR's western borders.

I concur...there is a LOT of growth at the west perimeter just outside the city limit. I just can't get over those signs posted on trees not 1/4 mile from Chenal and Kanis protesting against the city planning zone and taxes!!! What a crock of @#$#@!!!!! Those jack@$$$ use the city just like everyone else, but somehow think that since they step across a line, they're not obligated to pay for all of the benefits they enjoy every day. Just another reason why the county should merge into one government....

I concur...there is a LOT of growth at the west perimeter just outside the city limit. I just can't get over those signs posted on trees not 1/4 mile from Chenal and Kanis protesting against the city planning zone and taxes!!! What a crock of @#$#@!!!!! Those jack@$$$ use the city just like everyone else, but somehow think that since they step across a line, they're not obligated to pay for all of the benefits they enjoy every day. Just another reason why the county should merge into one government....

I've never gotten that. Are there property taxes really any different? They all have to used the West LR stores and restaurants so they're paying LR sales taxes anyway. They wouldn't be annexed to the LRSD and would remain in the PCSSD, so that's not why.

I'd be all for annexing west several miles and taking in all of Ferndale and Roland and getting it overwith. Every time there is a small annexation it becomes a huge ordeal and it really shouldn't. Besides, it's not like they really want these towns to incorporate, they don't. Incorporation would be the answer if they were that riled up about it.

Besides, all of these people are making huge amounts of money from the jump in their property values as the nicest parts of the city march west. It's not like crime and urban blight are marching west, this is really the nicest, cleanest part of the city.

You also have a different crowd that's so anti-West LR that they don't want annexation because they feel like it dilutes the city and their property taxes are being spent elsewhere. I always thought that was myopic. You should take in as many homes in that $250k+ range (and frankly the median out there is well above that) as you can. A few minor expenditures in street improvements, etc will pay off many times over in extra tax revenue in parts of the city that use city services like police and fire the least. LR is blessed in that the most affluent new areas of the metro are in the city itself and it should flaunt it, it really offsets many of the city's other problems.

I concur...there is a LOT of growth at the west perimeter just outside the city limit. I just can't get over those signs posted on trees not 1/4 mile from Chenal and Kanis protesting against the city planning zone and taxes!!! What a crock of @#$#@!!!!! Those jack@$$$ use the city just like everyone else, but somehow think that since they step across a line, they're not obligated to pay for all of the benefits they enjoy every day.

You must take into consideration the fact that a large percentage of people don't with to be a part of any city. They enjoy the freedoms that come with living the county.

Just another reason why the county should merge into one government....

There will always be boundaries. If you're worried that people just outside of the LR city limits use city services and don't want to pay their way... Go ahead and merge the county. Then you'll have people just across the line in Saline County coming into LR/Pulaski, using city services and not wanting to pay their way. You have to draw the line -- literally -- somewhere.

You must take into consideration the fact that a large percentage of people don't with to be a part of any city. They enjoy the freedoms that come with living the county.

There will always be boundaries. If you're worried that people just outside of the LR city limits use city services and don't want to pay their way... Go ahead and merge the county. Then you'll have people just across the line in Saline County coming into LR/Pulaski, using city services and not wanting to pay their way. You have to draw the line -- literally -- somewhere.

Perhaps, but if these people genuinely feel that way there are communities that are further from imminent annexation. People living in LR's planning zone within a mile or two of city limits should expect this, there's no reason to think anything would happen aside from eventual annexation. If they lived in Little Italy I could see their point, but not on Kanis between Chenal Parkway and Chenal Downs.

Um...what freedom? I'm not talking about people that live in Cleburne County, I'm talking about people who live on Kanis within 100 yards of Kroger who think they should somehow be exempt from carrying the tax load. One could make a quick argument that those people should actually pay more since they're the ones forcing city services, utilities and ammenities to spread out even thinner.

I realize there should be a line, its just that it should be a practical one. So I agree with Aporkalypse, we should go ahead and incorporate the whole county and get it over with. By the way, people from Saline are already doing that, so that really has no bearing on whether or not Pulaski should address the problem internally.

• 3 months later...

Um...what freedom? I'm not talking about people that live in Cleburne County, I'm talking about people who live on Kanis within 100 yards of Kroger who think they should somehow be exempt from carrying the tax load. One could make a quick argument that those people should actually pay more since they're the ones forcing city services, utilities and ammenities to spread out even thinner.

I realize there should be a line, its just that it should be a practical one. So I agree with Aporkalypse, we should go ahead and incorporate the whole county and get it over with. By the way, people from Saline are already doing that, so that really has no bearing on whether or not Pulaski should address the problem internally.

Driving out Kanis to Chenal, I thought it was a bit strange that you leave LR once you pass Bowman but reenter just before coming to Chenal despite being very close to Chenal the entire time. There's a ton of development on the near portion of Kanis already and lots of commercial land for sale, the city needs to incorporate this area quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

back to the original topic.....with the...i won't call it slowdown...but moderation in growth in nwa....does that change the way you feel about which city hits 100,000 1st?

I imagine all of these areas will experience multiple slowdowns and booms before they reach 100,000, but I would say that both Conway and Fayetteville have big advantages since they're college towns. UA and Hendrix and UCA aren't really going anywhere.

I think, however, that a lot of the draw of these towns is affordability and availability of space, and I don't think either of those can be upheld much longer until these cities (and LR too) learn to enforce some kind of structure on how the city grows, not necessarilly anything drastic like only allowing dense, mixed-use development, but an implementation of some pattern of street building, and house spacing, to limit the random nature of the sprawl that's going up now.

back to the original topic.....with the...i won't call it slowdown...but moderation in growth in nwa....does that change the way you feel about which city hits 100,000 1st?

I think this is really between the NWA cities and Conway and I just don't know that it hits 100k anytime soon either. It has a lot of factors pushing growth - small town atmosphere close to LR, growing amenities, a major university and small liberal arts college, growing jobs from the Fayetteville shale natural gas play, etc. I just think it has the same infrastructure issues NWA does - not enough roads to handle the traffic, etc. More importantly, it has a congested 4-lane interstate with plenty of through traffic connecting it to LR and no plan to widen it.

My bet would still be Fayetteville, and not any time soon.

A decade ago everybody would say Ft Smith, and every decade before that as well. It's interesting how things have changed.

I think this is really between the NWA cities and Conway and I just don't know that it hits 100k anytime soon either. It has a lot of factors pushing growth - small town atmosphere close to LR, growing amenities, a major university and small liberal arts college, growing jobs from the Fayetteville shale natural gas play, etc. I just think it has the same infrastructure issues NWA does - not enough roads to handle the traffic, etc. More importantly, it has a congested 4-lane interstate with plenty of through traffic connecting it to LR and no plan to widen it.

My bet would still be Fayetteville, and not any time soon.

A decade ago everybody would say Ft Smith, and every decade before that as well. It's interesting how things have changed.

Wow, it amazes me how all of you guys are overlooking Jonesboro. Jonesboro is home to the second largest university system in the state, so it is also a "college town". Although the 2000 census population was only 55,500 and the 2006 estimate was 60,400, with Jonesboro being the "only show in town" when it comes to the Delta region and with many residents of the small Delta towns moving to Jonesboro recently, I think that Jonesboro has the best chance of being the next city to reach the 100,000 milestone (though not anytime soon). I think that Jonesboro's biggest problem these days is the fact that it is not connected to Little Rock via four-lane highway, which explains why Jonesboro has more connections with Memphis than with the state's capital. It's wrong that you have to travel on narrow two-laned roads to travel between Little Rock and Jonesboro.

I admit I haven't been to Jonesboro. I wonder if people are hesitant on it because of it's location. It's in an area of the state that's known for losing a lot of people. I think it's just about the only city in eastern Arkansas that's actually growing.

I admit I haven't been to Jonesboro. I wonder if people are hesitant on it because of it's location. It's in an area of the state that's known for losing a lot of people. I think it's just about the only city in eastern Arkansas that's actually growing.

Paragould is also growing. It is approaching 25,000. The Jonesboro-Paragould Combined Statistical Area's population is around 153,500.

Paragould is also growing. It is approaching 25,000. The Jonesboro-Paragould Combined Statistical Area's population is around 153,500.

I knew someone would point out another city I wasn't aware was growing. :lol: I made sure to say 'just about'. There could be another city as well. But overall eastern Arkansas is losing a lot of population.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it amazes me how all of you guys are overlooking Jonesboro. Jonesboro is home to the second largest university system in the state, so it is also a "college town". Although the 2000 census population was only 55,500 and the 2006 estimate was 60,400, with Jonesboro being the "only show in town" when it comes to the Delta region and with many residents of the small Delta towns moving to Jonesboro recently, I think that Jonesboro has the best chance of being the next city to reach the 100,000 milestone (though not anytime soon). I think that Jonesboro's biggest problem these days is the fact that it is not connected to Little Rock via four-lane highway, which explains why Jonesboro has more connections with Memphis than with the state's capital. It's wrong that you have to travel on narrow two-laned roads to travel between Little Rock and Jonesboro.

Jonesboro is really growing as it becomes a regional city serving NE Arkansas, including having its major university. It's starting to develop shopping and restaurants that have people in the region spending more money there instead of driving to Memphis.

Jonesboro has a lot of limitations because it is so far from LR and Memphis, it's a hard draw for industry. The NWA cities are seen a growing because of WM-driven job growth and Conway has a couple of factors in its favor including being a college town and LR's largest suburb.

I thought ASU was now 4th in enrollment as a university behind UA, UCA, and UALR.

I see Jonesboro growing at this rate for quite a while, I just think Conway and Fayetteville are set up better.

I agree I'd like to see the 4-lane portion of 67/167 extended past Newport to Jonesboro.

One city that seems to always get left out when people talk about growth is Van Buren...i think i read somewhere recently that since 2000 Van Buren has grown by 14 percent....

Yeah I think Van Buren and Ft Smith tend to get overlooked because of all the growth in NWA. I guess being so close causes that. Personally I don't think Van Buren is going to reach 100,000 before some of the cities on the list. But it shouldn't be totally overlooked either.

Yeah I think Van Buren and Ft Smith tend to get overlooked because of all the growth in NWA. I guess being so close causes that. Personally I don't think Van Buren is going to reach 100,000 before some of the cities on the list. But it shouldn't be totally overlooked either.

oh..i dont think van buren will hit 100K either....and i didnt mean for it to sound like that.... :P

Jonesboro is really growing as it becomes a regional city serving NE Arkansas, including having its major university. It's starting to develop shopping and restaurants that have people in the region spending more money there instead of driving to Memphis.

Jonesboro has a lot of limitations because it is so far from LR and Memphis, it's a hard draw for industry. The NWA cities are seen a growing because of WM-driven job growth and Conway has a couple of factors in its favor including being a college town and LR's largest suburb.

I thought ASU was now 4th in enrollment as a university behind UA, UCA, and UALR.

I see Jonesboro growing at this rate for quite a while, I just think Conway and Fayetteville are set up better.

I agree I'd like to see the 4-lane portion of 67/167 extended past Newport to Jonesboro.

Yeah, but the problem with extending 67/167 north is that it is NOT slated to go through Jonesboro if you can believe that. You can credit a powerful state senator from Pocahontas.