15 Most Tortured Cities in Pro Sports

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, how do Seattle, Atlanta, and Minneapolis end up on the list higher than Indy as more tortured????

Seattle had an NBA championship in 79 (in my lifetime)... Atlanta had an MLB championship (well within my lifetime), same with Minnesota.

I was born in Indy, back in 76, and have yet to see either of my 2 favorite franchises win a championship. I moved out here to Boston and all I heard about was the curse. This coming from a city that celebrated 16 championships from one team alone (several during my lifetime, and I'm pretty young). Nevermind the fact that in recent years they've enjoyed a pretty dominant streatch in the NFL with the Pats, a franchise that was a doormat for 40 years.

Most cities have had some sort of event at one point in time in one sport another that can hold them over until the next championship from one of their sports teams. Boston is a prime example. Seattle, Atlanta, and Minneapolis are no exception.

I feel the pain of the Cleveland, Buffalo, and San Diego fans out there. Sorry Chicago, 2 three-peats with Michael Jordan disqualifies you from any sympathy for the next 50 years.

Dave

p.s. this rant was in the making prior to yet another Colts defeat in the playoffs to the annoyingly successful Patriots.

I think SF Bay Area has its far share of being tortured. The Giants and A's fell out of the playoffs b/c of a late season slump. The Raiders flunked this season and the 49ers fell asleep during gameplay. In NBA, this must be one of the sadest stories ever, 10 years and counting for the Golden State Warriors of not reaching the playoffs; shattering the old record of a 9 year playoff drought. Tsk..tsk..tsk, and it still goes on...I guess the SJ Sharks in hockey are a bit better, a least they made it into the Conference Finals last year...no hockey this year, sigh... Bay Area is in another slump just like the 1979 one.

SF does have some holes in their sports history but the 49ers being one of the greatest franchises ever in any sport kind of limits the sympathy (especially with places like Cleveland and Indy on the list). One thing that always amazed me is that the SF Giants have NEVER won a WORLD SERIES, and they have had some great teams and great talent thoughout the decades.

:rofl: Well, winning a World Series for the Giants is another matter, but at least they WIN games and make the PLAYOFFS regulary. Across the bay, in Oakland, if you watch professional basketball (NBA), there's a 10 year PLAYOFF DROUGHT for the Golden State Warriors. They LOSE LOSE LOSE and frequently DISMANTLE and REASSEMBLE their roster. They have been spiraling around and around going nowhere; they will never reach the playoffs until 2050 or longer because of this BS. :sick::angry::wacko:

Yeah it's kind of sad if you're a basketball fan in the bay area.

I was watching that ESPN reality series Beg, Borrow and Steal a year or two ago and the one group was on the road in N. Cali like San Jose someplace and had to complete their next task . . . something about an NBA court, all of the members of the group were 20 somethings from around the nation and they are all sitting there looking out to SF bay thinking "how do we get to Sacramento to get this NBA court assignment done". I bet the ESPN producers were doing the "duh" jokes in the control room, Golden State plays in SF bay I felt like screaming. Those dummies bummed rides all the way to Sacramento as I remember it.

That either tells you what the average intelligence of a 20 something American is about cities outside their own or lets you know that the Warriors lost a whole generation of fans. Where did you go Rick Berry? Where? Come back! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I put Milwaukee in my groupings, I guess because its Packers country its not tortured. 

As for Paul Boston is as much Redsox country as it is Celtics and Bruins country so no Boston i don't feel ever was tortured-- Redsox fans were--but not sports fans celebrating stanley cups and NBA finals as well as Superbowls. 

If Boston is making your lists just because of the Sox, Pittsburgh isn't far behind with 3 Pirates blowups (2 in the final innings of the 7th game) in champ series and NO rings for 25 years!  Steelers, Penguins and Pitt Panthers overcome that as those sports should for Boston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about cities that have had a torturous time getting a team in the first place? I mean, compared to them, each of the listed cities above (Cleveland, Philly, etc) is blessed, lucky and living in relative luxury. IMagine what it has been like to be Memphis trying to get an NFL team, watching Charlotte and Jacksonville get teams, and then St. Louis and Baltimore get teams (4 out of the 5 finalists of the last expansion), and to top it all off watching Nashville get a NEW stadium (with state legislature support which eluded Memphis' efforts to get a renovated stadium). That's torture. And in light of that, I don't think cities like Cleveland and Philly would rank in my top five.

The worst cities for each sport:

Football: New Orleans and San Fran in recent years. Atlanta and their Falcons have recently seemd like they are pulling out of their slump with the addition of Jim Mora Jr. and Mike Vick & Co. Otherwise, they'd be on this list.

Baseball: Up until their trade, Montreal.

Basketball: Atlanta, look at their record in the '04-'05 season...need I say more?

Hockey: Not too knowledgeable on the teams, but I'd say Atlanta.

P.S. For what it's worth, Atlanta has won two national championships in major league sports: the Braves in 1995 and the Chiefs (men's soccer) in, I believe, 1975. Soccer isn't really a major sport here in the U.S., though.

Yea but i hear that memphis has HUGE support for the grizzlies and there AAA Baseball team. Dont they have one of the higest attendence ratings in AAA baseball?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's generally a pretty appreciative sports town overall. The AAA team (Redbirds) have been in the top 2 (with Sacramento) in attendance in the minor leagues ever since Autozone Park opened. Part of the success of the Redbirds has been the stark contrast the not-for-profit team has been to past teams, in particular the Titans during their ignominious ostracizing carpetbagging years as the Oilers. The Redbirds helped attract the Grizzlies, and raised expectations the city has for all its sports teams in terms of giving back to the community, expectations that the Grizz have for the most part surpassed as witnessed by their charitable deeds.

It's a big sports town that has suffered a lot in the past, but lately has finally seen some fruits of its hard work and support. Let's not even touch how huge college sports is in Memphis. It's a highly underrated sports town that has HUGE, influential support for teams/colleges far beyond the metro limits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't see how anyone can make such a list without including CHICAGO.  It should be either #1, or #2 just behind Cleveland.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any city with 6 NBA championships and a superbowl is not tortured. Lets get real here.

It's generally a pretty appreciative sports town overall.  The AAA team (Redbirds) have been in the top 2 (with Sacramento) in attendance in the minor leagues ever since Autozone Park opened.  Part of the success of the Redbirds has been the stark contrast the not-for-profit team has been to past teams, in particular the Titans during their ignominious ostracizing carpetbagging years as the Oilers.  The Redbirds helped attract the Grizzlies, and raised expectations the city has for all its sports teams in terms of giving back to the community, expectations that the Grizz have for the most part surpassed as witnessed by their charitable deeds. 

It's a big sports town that has suffered a lot in the past, but lately has finally seen some fruits of its hard work and support.  Let's not even touch how huge college sports is in Memphis.  It's a highly underrated sports town that has HUGE, influential support for teams/colleges far beyond the metro limits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the only college sport that i ever hear about is memphis's men's basketball team. what are the other sports? pardon my ignorance. i guess pretty much anything in the state is going to be overlooked compared to the university of tennessee.

If this was the most tortured baseball cities Chicago would be at the top by far, its been like 90 years hasnt it. This is overall though, bears have been pretty good(superbowl) and the bull have been AMAZING. They should be like 15th.

the only college sport that i ever hear about is memphis's men's basketball team. what are the other sports? pardon my ignorance. i guess pretty much anything in the state is going to be overlooked compared to the university of tennessee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a huge SEC fanbase in Memphis. Oxford is 70 miles away. There are tens of thousands of UT, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Mississippi State fans. We're talking folks that have season tickets to those outposts who make treks every week (for football) and rabidly follow their schools. The Tigers and Rebels are the only "local" major college sports teams, but the level of support for the other schools make them more or less local, especially in press coverage. I won't venture to guess the exact numbers, but I theorize that a sizable number of fans in the stands at those schools are from the Memphis metro. Heck, the level of support for Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and LSU is pretty large as well. Especially Alabama. The huge football recruiting scandal (Albert Means) at Alabama traces its roots to high profile Memphis Tide booster.

I'm pretty psyched though about the Memphis Tigers being able to improve their football team. If they get into a B©S conference (or the BCS opens up), better watch out. Enormous recruiting opportunities in Memphis. U of M needs to find a way to market itself beyond the regional base. Maybe Deangelo Williams' push for the Heisman will help its visibility.

Aside from football and basketball, baseball is growing in popularity (especially with SEC schools). There's also a pretty large soccer following, but more at the high school level (a number of MLS and international players are either from Memphis or have located there part-time, including Tim Howard and Jonny Walker).

There's a huge SEC fanbase in Memphis.  Oxford is 70 miles away.  There are tens of thousands of UT, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Mississippi State fans.  We're talking folks that have season tickets to those outposts who make treks every week (for football) and rabidly follow their schools.  The Tigers and Rebels are the only "local" major college sports teams, but the level of support for the other schools make them more or less local, especially in press coverage.  I won't venture to guess the exact numbers, but I theorize that a sizable number of fans in the stands at those schools are from the Memphis metro.  Heck, the level of support for Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and LSU is pretty large as well.  Especially Alabama.  The huge football recruiting scandal (Albert Means) at Alabama traces its roots to high profile Memphis Tide booster. 

I'm pretty psyched though about the Memphis Tigers being able to improve their football team.  If they get into a B

If this was the most tortured baseball cities Chicago would be at the top by far, its been like 90 years hasnt it. This is overall though, bears have been pretty good(superbowl) and the bull have been AMAZING. They should be like 15th.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've made the playoffs in the interim, haven't they? 7 World Series appearances in the interim isn't cause for suffering. Sure, they lost. I mean, I don't buy this title drought as a determination of suffering. How many teams haven't sniffed the playoffs? There was a gap between '45 and '84 that I think could justify the argument in '84, though. I just don't buy the implied argument of entitlement to a title. Nor do I buy the self-promoting attitude that Chicagoans and Bostonians have had in terms of trying to create sympathy by saying we haven't been champions in how many years, when, at the same time, there have been teams that haven't even reached the playoffs who likely have suffered more.

Putting aside playoffs. How many teams would love just one shot at a World Series appearance? The Angels suffered more until their recent World Series run and win (42 years of EXISTENCE without a World Series appearance). There are franchises that have never had an appearance. Sorry, I have more sympathy for those teams (Astros, Expos, Devil Rays) than the self-created underdogs who dwell on a sense of entitlement to the championship.

The 45-84 gap is huge though (may be the greatest gap in baseball). I don't mean to diminish that. Since '84, they haven't been prolific, but they have reached the playoffs. If the Cubbies are to make an argument for lovable loser, I think they have a far more powerful argument sticking to the number of losing seasons, and overall winning percentage. Leave the championship argument out, because they are doing much better than some other teams out there. Especially when you look at World Series appearances compared with the 6 who've never been there (although because of their youth you can't really count either the Rockies or the D-Rays, except for the D-Rays' absence from the playoffs altogether).

I would've made the same argument for Boston, but seeing as how they won a series last year, it's a moot point. Now there are some whiney fans who have no right to complain. Talk about a sense of entitlement. How can a team that makes the playoffs just about every year talk about suffering? Especially with the second-highest payroll in the league (and how can they then whine about the team with the highest payroll?)? Give me a break. Chicago and Boston remind me of the prima donna housewife complaining and feeling sorry for herself because her Bentley broke down. Hey, folks, there are some people (cities) who would love to just have a car (major league sports franchise).

When it comes to city suffering, I would tend to look at a city like Birmingham. Maybe Norfolk. Hartford (losing the Whalers reminds me of getting carjacked). Perhaps Louisville.

Anytime you think you're suffering, imagine what it would be like to not have any major sports teams at all. You'll (likely) be more appreciative. I know I am. Even with the suffering Memphis has gone through, at least it now has a pro team, and can now set its sights to the next levels in its sports quests. Sportswise, I wouldn't want to trade positions with the cities above. And I seriously doubt anyone in any city with any major sports franchise would.

I dissagree. Teams that havent ever sniffeled around the playoffs probably never will with the MLB top teams in the mix. There no way a team like the Brewers should be good. The cubs on the other hand have suffered more. The expect to be good each year and ussually are. When you get so close to winning it all, especially when you know that you can, it REALLY hurts when you loose. I remember the Titans loss in the superbowl and how hurt i was, we were 1 fricking yard away. I wished that we just didnt make the playoffs so that i wouldnt have had thte heart break. If the cubs were less competetive i dont think the fans would care so much.

"10. Charlotte, NC

Charlotte has really evolved into an auto-racing town, and that had a lot to do with the Hornets being moved to New Orleans. While in Charlotte, the team experienced little to no success. The Panthers second season in existence was an exciting one, as the team made an improbable run to the NFC Championship game, but they have yet to make the playoffs since then. The NHL's Hurricanes also made a shocking Stanley Cup Finals appearance in 2002, but were easily dispatched by the Detroit Red Wings."

There are so many things wrong with this it's hard to know where to start. Charlotte hasn't "evolved" into an auto-racing town, it was drawing 50,000 people to open wheeled racing in 1924. Since then it has evolved, to become the center of NASCAR. The Hornets experienced plenty of success, although no NBA titles. Attendence led the NBA until the fans finally figured out that George Shinn wasn't committed to winning a title. He told the city to build him an arena, the city told him to get bent. The Panthers are one season removed from the Super Bowl and the Hurricanes play in Raleigh...you know, 2 and a half hours AWAY from Charlotte.

sorry, i misunderstood what you were saying. i agree, there is a huge support for sec schools in memphis. high school sports are also pretty big there. did you attend the spring fling there? i can attest to the big soccer following in memphis, especially in germantown. when i played soccer in high school, the memphis teams were always tough to beat. i'm suprised that memphis doesn't have an mls team. i think it would be an excellent market.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I live in Tucson right now, so I didn't attend Spring Fling, but I'm glad that the west side has been able to host the event after the seven or so odd years on the other side. It's great especially for the families of the teams here to be able to see their kids play. But I follow and support everything that is going on in Memphis these days.

I wouldn't mind having an MLS team. Cindy Parlow (women's usa team) brought some of her WUSA friends down to the Mike Rose complex, and they raved at how amazing the field and facilities were. They don't have an MLS-size stadium there, but it's a pretty well known in the soccer community.

I dissagree. Teams that havent ever sniffeled around the playoffs probably never will with the MLB top teams in the mix. There no way a team like the Brewers should be good. The cubs on the other hand have suffered more. The expect to be good each year and ussually are. When you get so close to winning it all, especially when you know that you can, it REALLY hurts when you loose. I remember the Titans loss in the superbowl and how hurt i was, we were 1 fricking yard away. I wished that we just didnt make the playoffs so that i wouldnt have had thte heart break. If the cubs were less competetive i dont think the fans would care so much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I understand some folks have that perspective, what hurt as a Memphian about the Titans in the Super Bowl was the fact that we didn't have a team, and all the work we went through over the decades to get one, and how every other city (including St. Louis) fared in the pursuit. I know folks who are fans of loser teams who get so jaded because they know at the beginning of the year that they can't win. Some might say that isn't as much suffering as being teased at the end of the year. But I think at least an equal argument can be made from the opposite end, and that often the teams that are close but don't win it all are dismissive of the angst that those who never get close have to endure. I feel much more for the fans of those who never get close than those who develop that sense of entitlement.

Just talking about the Titans, Panthers, Ravens, Rams, and Jaguars gets me riled up. F the NFL.

I think with the franchise in Nashville now Memphis--unless it experiences a population explosion--is locked out of any NFL franchise. Don't think your alone though, Las Vegas, Birmingham, Orlando, Milwaukee and others also have that locked out feeling.

As they say in LA though, its GREAT now you get the top billed games every week on national TV instead of having the Rams or whoever rammed down your throat ;)

Hey Memphis can always be Steelers Country, you all are more then welcomed to join Black and Gold Nation! Remember Elvis had his eternal torch made in Pittsburgh ;) . . . actually the factory is only blocks away from Heinz Field on the northside ;)!

I think with the franchise in Nashville now Memphis--unless it experiences a population explosion--is locked out of any NFL franchise.  Don't think your alone though, Las Vegas, Birmingham, Orlando, Milwaukee and others also have that locked out feeling. 

As they say in LA though, its GREAT now you get the top billed games every week on national TV instead of having the Rams or whoever rammed down your throat ;)

Hey Memphis can always be Steelers Country, you all are more then welcomed to join Black and Gold Nation!  Remember Elvis had his eternal torch made in Pittsburgh ;) . . . actually the factory is only blocks away from Heinz Field on the northside ;)!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are plenty of Steeler fans in the Mid South. I don't happen to be one of 'em, but there are aplenty. As well as Cowboys and Rams fans.

As for a franchise, money, and a new stadium, talks.

Archived