What is Great About West Michigan

GRDadof3

That might be why 9 people answered the GRBJ poll saying "let's not overdo it" regarding downtown development. Except for Nitro (I believe), who had good intentions by checking that one ;) I would say we have a LONG way to go before attitudes are adversely affected. Although I think if we had one or two more multi-national companies come in, set up shop, and brought in several hundred or a thousand employees from elsewhere, that could change rather drastically (as least in the vicinity of those businesses, like downtown for instance). That's why many areas that were "hot" at one time have become "cold", like Boulder, Seattle and Portland to some extent. The whole reason people love the areas changes due to the influx of new residents.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might be why 9 people answered the GRBJ poll saying "let's not overdo it" regarding downtown development. Except for Nitro (I believe), who had good intentions by checking that one ;) I would say we have a LONG way to go before attitudes are adversely affected. Although I think if we had one or two more multi-national companies come in, set up shop, and brought in several hundred or a thousand employees from elsewhere, that could change rather drastically (as least in the vicinity of those businesses, like downtown for instance). That's why many areas that were "hot" at one time have become "cold", like Boulder, Seattle and Portland to some extent. The whole reason people love the areas changes due to the influx of new residents.

I think as long as our growth, especially DT, is steady and largely homegrown, as opposed to catalysmic and full of national chains, we'll be feeling pretty darned good in the coming years

Yes, I agree with you on each and every point you just made. That having been said, however, a downturn in economic activity could produce the same effect. I say that because when you increase unemployment and poverty, you increase human competition (for opportunities), frustration, animosity, hopelessness...which then breeds an increase in crime often, which then breeds fears...all of which combine to make people less friendly and hospitable to one and other. See Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Gary....for case study.

Archived