Pictures of Fayetteville

After seeing Skirby taking pictures around Little Rock, made me think I really should stop being so lazy and actually do the same. Of course Fayetteville isn't urban like Little Rock so some people may not be too impressed. I really intended this to be a quick trip down Dickson where a lot of development has been taking place to the Square. But I also ended up going over to the former Mountain Inn location and the Old Courthouse. Then I decided to walk down West and head over towards the award winning Fayetteville Public Library. Then while I was over there I decided I'd actually see part of Fayetteville's bike/jogging trail that's near the library. I ended up walking around for several hours. But it was nice and I got to see some areas I've been meaning to and hadn't gotten around to it. I could have easily taken more pictures but after not too long I realized my batteries were getting low. But I still got plenty of pics, maybe just not as much selection as I'd like.

img28408iy.jpg

img28439sm.jpg

img28445qy.jpg

img27646dk.jpg

img27656wg.jpg

img27746hs.jpg

img28068ep.jpg

img27751yr.jpg

Okay these are mainly just some general Dickson pics. You'll notice I got several of Hoghaus Brewery (the former Ozark Brew Pub) that's right across from the Walton Art Center. The last two are of Collier's. It's still got the old art deco style. They still have the oldest working automatic doors in the state. I'll get to some more specific areas along Dickson and the Square shortly. Oh yeah in the first one you can make out the top of the Three Sister's Development, which I will focus on more shortly.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay now for some more pics. I took quite a few of the Three Sister's Development that was done a few years ago. I think it had a big impact for Dickson St second only to the Walton Art Center. There weren't any condos around Dickson before this development. There is office space and retail in the front of the project with condos mainly being in the back and also some of the upper floors. If it's not obvious from all the pics, I like this project. It's one I've driven by many times but really hadn't taken a serious walk and look around it.

img27675kf.jpg

img27707iz.jpg

img27723ga.jpg

img28077iu.jpg

img28085bk.jpg

img28097ho.jpg

img28108rv.jpg

img28123mq.jpg

img28146yu.jpg

img28205rm.jpg

img28211kq.jpg

img28230iz.jpg

img28240mh.jpg

img28280gl.jpg

One of the pics you can see the very top of the development. The top level is a condo that was added on after the development was already being developed so one of the Tyson's could have a nice condo on Dickson. You can see Old Main in the background.

Very nice.

What is the Three Sister's Development?

I believe the name comes from some sister's who owned some land around there. I'm not sure if they actually are responsible for the development or if the development was just named for them. I believe the Joe Fennel owner of Jose's and Bordino's on Dickson St also had something to do with the project. But as I said before I consider it second only to the Walton Art Center. Before then there hadn't been any condos and such in the area. I think it helped start the condo movement in the area. By the way I forgot the pic of the new Bordino's. It's supposed to have the most extensive wine list in the state.

img27669qg.jpg

I believe the name comes from some sister's who owned some land around there. I'm not sure if they actually are responsible for the development or if the development was just named for them. I believe the Joe Fennel owner of Jose's and Bordino's on Dickson St also had something to do with the project. But as I said before I consider it second only to the Walton Art Center. Before then there hadn't been any condos and such in the area. I think it helped start the condo movement in the area. By the way I forgot the pic of the new Bordino's. It's supposed to have the most extensive wine list in the state.

img27669qg.jpg

Is anyone taking over the old Bordino's building?

Okay now I'll work my way over to the Square. It's hard to see very well but in all that vegetation at the very center of the Square is the Old Post Office.

img27784vc.jpg

img27874rq.jpg

img28020ea.jpg

Here's our Town Center. Fayetteville's response to a convention center. It's a littlesouth of the Square.

img27799mb.jpg

img27809pd.jpg

Now here's there Bank of American Building. The reason I took these is because of the future project. They are going to add on to the top of this building and add several floors of condos. This building is on the east side of the Square.

img27827kk.jpg

img27886fw.jpg

More pics of the Square shortly.

Is anyone taking over the old Bordino's building?

Well actually Jose's and Bordino's shared a building, with both on opposides of the building. They are both owned by Joe Fennel. When the new Bordino's opened Jose's simply took over the whole building now.

Thanks to everyone for the pleasant comments on the pics. Seeing Skirby's pics of Little Rock made me realize I really should get out and take some around areas of Fayetteville myself to post on here. Now I'll start off with some general pics around the Square.

img27892km.jpg

img27904yn.jpg

img27919po.jpg

Here's the Fayetteville Raddison, formerly the Fayetteville Hilton. Currently one of out taller buildings for the moment. I think the new project at the former Mountain Inn location might become the tallest in Fayetteville.

img27927nm.jpg

Speaking of which, here's the former Mountain Inn location. You can see the Old Couthouse in the background of one of them. Then here's finally what's going to take it's place. I never could find anything on the internet to post a pic of this so now I have something to show everyone the future site.

img27830jn.jpg

img27847hu.jpg

And now here's some pics of the Old Couthouse. If you look closely you can see part of the street closed just across from the Old Courthouse. One the right is Hoffbrau and a Taste of Thai. I mentioned these in another topic. They are both having problems because of all the construction in the area. And it's probably only going to get worse because they will be totally closing this road for around 5 weeks.

img27947ew.jpg

img27977qb.jpg

I'll add the last group of pictures I have a little later.

The Post Office looks beautiful! The foliage around it looks great!

That is one thing Fayetteville really prides itself in, is it's vegetation. They regularly win the National Bloom Competition for their city size.

Great pics!! Fayetteville looks like a very nice urban community. I really like all the well-maintained street level shops and structures. Really classy. I really envy the fact you have a Thai restaurant though!!! LOL ;)

That Renaissance tower looks like a great project. I assume it will drastically change the skyline. Has this project been popular in the community?

I really like the old Courthouse as well. IMO Courthouses are some of the best architecture a city could ask for.

Okay here's the last group of pics. As I said before I really had only intended walking down Dickson St and down Block St to the Square. But I kept deciding that since I was out I should try to see as much of this area of town as possible. Of course it was hard to resist walking down West St to our award winning Fayetteville Public Library. Unfortunately with it being Sunday and it was still early enough that it wasn't open. Sometime I need to see if I can get some pics from the inside. I have posted some pics on the library topic a while back, but they were just pics I found on the internet. I had problems with some of my library pics because of the sun. Much of the red brick part of the building is a multi level parking deck.

img28469qy.jpg

img28471uf.jpg

img28480mt.jpg

img28497ri.jpg

img28513vv.jpg

img28532ia.jpg

Not too far to the west of the library is part of Fayetteville's bike/jogging trail. It's supposed to eventually wind it's way from the southern part of the city all the way to the Northwest Arkansas Mall area in the north part of town. There are a number of sections that are finished. I was quite impressed with what I saw. Now I know not all the sections are going to be like this. But there was a lot of nice vegetation. It wasn't stuff that was just planted recently so it really gave the area a nice look. There was even a stream along the side of this area of the trail. The trail itself was also bigger than what I was expecting. Ten feet wide with about a half foot gravel shoulders on each side. There was a nice old fashioned looking lampost every 25 feet and a bench every 50 feet. I ended up following the trail quite a ways going almost all the way to 6th St in the south part of town. I tried following it to the north but lost it after crossing a street. I wasn't sure if that section hadn't been down or if it was one of those you had to follow the street down a while before it picked back up.

img28565dq.jpg

img28554qh.jpg

img28571hd.jpg

The very last picture is of a low income housing building also along West St. I had to sound cold about this but I really wish something could be done about this building. It's not the nicest looking building around and if you could move it I really think you could have some other nice developments between the Walton Art Center on the corner of Dickson and West and down to the Fayetteville Public Library.

img28587oy.jpg

Well I hadn't planned on my photo tour taking me three hours, but still it was nice and I got to take a closer look at some areas. Maybe next time I need to take more pics of vegetation since NCB seemed to like it. I actually tried avoiding vegetation so that people could see more of the buildings. I can't make any promises but if anyone wants some pics of a particular area of Fayetteville let me know. I might go back out next weekend and try this again. Although really some of the other areas seeing development are areas like around the mall. And I'm not sure if anyone wants to see what they might consider something closer to the surburb type development look. Or maybe if someone wants to see more around the Square or maybe a particular building there or along Dickson. I guess I probably should have taken some pics of the Walton Art Center. Anyway, thanks for the comments and let me know if there's anything you'd like me to try to take pics of next time.

Wow....these are great pictures.

The library is gorgeous.

Thanks, glad everyone seems to be enjoying them. Unless it's raining I should be out next weekend taking some more pics, if not just for myself. If you havn't noticed the maples are turning colors. I wouldn't mind trying to get some pics of those next weekend. I've been trying to think if there are any other developments I can think of that having pics of would be nice. Like I said I would like to try to get some pics inside the library next time.

Great pictures. This time of year there will always be a problem with shadows. But the sun this time of year makes colors seem more vivid.

It also didn't help that I started so early in the morning. I think the colors are also helped with the dryer autumn air. I've noticed things look more crisp when I travel out west to places like New Mexico and Arizona where there's little humidity.

Mith, all of those pictures are absolutely great!

Thank you very much for posting them.

Once again thanks to everyone and their nice comments. I'm glad everyone seemed to enjoy them.

Do you have any info on that Renaissance Tower?

That thing looks huge, like 16 stories or something like that. I hadn't heard anything about that, but it sure does make me envous. Another reason for me to move to Fayetteville :D .

I'll have to see if I can find the info again. I think I may have posted it somewhere under the Fayetteville topic. For quite a while I was lumping all the info around here under that one topic while I was the only northwest Arkansas person around. I'll try to see if I can find some of that info again when I get the chance. By the way the top floors will be condos by the way Matt. I get the impression that they might be pretty pricy though. You might have to settle for another condo development around the Square of around Dickson.

Well I added a picture of the development to get that the Mountain Inn Project topic back up. Unfortunately that isn't where I posted the most up to date info apparently. Let me see if I can remember some of the info I read in the paper. It's going to have it's own gym, for people in the hotel and people in the condos. I think the top five level will be condos. I think they are working on putting in an upscale type restaurant on the third floor. I don't know if it will be actually on the section section with the hotel but there's going to be some retail space. Could also be like on the first floor where the parking deck will be. We're still waiting to see which hotel they are working a deal with.

Archived