Pictures of Fayetteville

Okay now I wanted some pics of places that don't have any developments yet but would be good locations near the Dickson St and Square area. The first group is on West St. There's some small offices and parking lots in this area. In the last pic of this group you can the an older looking building. I'm not sure if it's currently used for anything. On the other side of it is Grub's a restaurant and then next to it is the Walton Art Center.

img29247iy.jpg

img29250qi.jpg

img29260zk.jpg

The next group of pictures are of Block St. Another street that has potential for development and help link Dickson and the Square. There are some homes that have been converted into offices and some offices that look like they might have been built in the 60's or 70's. There are also small parking lots dotting the area, they appear that they used to be lots for homes that either burned down or were torn down sometime in the past. I also had to include a pic of some foliage in the area.

img29453vp.jpg

img29508is.jpg

img29526wb.jpg

img29536wn.jpg

img29461as.jpg

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I should space this out better. Oh well I'll go ahead and keep going. The next pics are also around the Square area but have more to do with the farmer's market. So it was much more lively than it was when I went to go take pics before last week. The farmer's market is actually quite nice. It involves more than what some people might think. Sure it's a great place to go buy some vegetables and fruit. But there's also some arts and crafts that are involved on a regular basis. There's also music and people performing. It's usually people playing guitar and maybe singing different styles of music. But sometimes there's other stuff too. In one of the pics near the Old post office you can see a guitar player on the right. He's a regular at the farmer's market. He's from Lebanon and he plays flamenco guitar. He's pretty good I've bought a cd of his. This time there was something a bit different. There was someone playing fiddle and someone doing some Irish clog dancing. It can get pretty lively around here.

img29631ly.jpg

img29646oi.jpg

img29652pr.jpg

img29671va.jpg

img29780iw.jpg

img29818ev.jpg

img29830xc.jpg

img29857qs.jpg

Okay this last one isn't of the farmer's market. But I did take it near the Square. You can see some houses on a hill towards the north. I believe this is Lafayette St, it runs parallel of Dickson just to it's north.

img29738jn.jpg

I do have more believe it or not but I think I'll try to post them later on.

Thanks everyone, now I guess I'll post some more pics. Thew first two are of the Federal Building. Honestly I wasn't paying attention and started taking pics. Luckily I realized what building it was before someone came out to question me. I liked the reflection of the Old Courthouse on the reflective windows on the Federal Building. These pics are closer to College Ave east of the Square. I've got some of the Old Courthouse and the new one as well. The new one was built in 1986. The new one is on the corner of College and Dickson.

img29891je.jpg

img29925fu.jpg

img29975gz.jpg

img29955je.jpg

img30007fm.jpg

img30030cw.jpg

img30048qk.jpg

img30062zd.jpg

img30073vb.jpg

img30089uu.jpg

img30097vj.jpg

img30109xm.jpg

img30113gq.jpg

Okay here's some pics from Dickson St, but not the type of pics you'd expect. There is another part of Dickson St that many people don't know about. It doesn't just end at College Ave. The old library is located here but it's mainly residential. There are some old houses around in the area also. It's sorta hard to believe this is the old library a little over a year ago. I know there was an argument over whether to save it or not. They do appear to be saving most of it but it does look a bit gutted now. Not sure what this Fulbright development is going to be.

img30159qq.jpg

img30123fj.jpg

Okay I had to add a few more foliage pics I took in the area. If you've noticed they're just the tops of the trees. I tried cutting out all the power and telephone lines.

img30182jv.jpg

img30225bf.jpg

img30236gx.jpg

Here's some pictures of Headquarters House. It's one of the ones that's survived to the present. It was used during the Civil War by one side, but I can't remember which side it was. Nothing spectacular but it is one of the older houses in this area.

img30271fd.jpg

img30266cq.jpg

img30286tp.jpg

I had hoped for some more pics of some of the older houses in this neighborhood but so many of them had so much vegetation in the yards. I couldn't get any good shots of some of them.

Now I want to post some pics of developments going on around the Dickson St and Square area. First I'll start off by some more pics around the future Renaissance Tower near the Old Courthouse.

img29936lt.jpg

img29947it.jpg

img29988jo.jpg

img29998un.jpg

img27847hu.jpg

Here's where I believe the Legacy Building will be going. It will mainly be condos with some retail on the first floor. This is right next to Uno's and Bourbon Brothers behind the Hoghaus Brewery, Brewski's and Jose's. In the second pic you can see the Three Sister's Development in the background.

img30428wk.jpg

img30430sr.jpg

The next is a project around the old railroad station on Dickson.

img30556of.jpg

img30569yn.jpg

img30522ju.jpg

img30484ij.jpg

I think I forgot to post these pics earlier. But right next to the railroad station project is Fayetteville's train bank. Yes it's two actual railroad cars that have been converted over into a bank. It's across the street from Hoghaus Brewery.

img30530zu.jpg

img30575kd.jpg

Here's the Underwood Lofts. A development between Underwood's and the Qdoba location. It also looks like it will be between Qdoba and Powerhouse.

img30626ua.jpg

img30631vf.jpg

I posted these earlier but since it's a development I'll show them again. This is further east on Dickson on the other side of College Ave. It's the old public library location. To be honest I'm not sure what the Fulbright Building is going to be or involve.

img30123fj.jpg

img30159qq.jpg

Believe it or not I'm almost out of pics to post. Yes I was busy today. These are not around the Dickson St or Square or downtown area. The first two are of a place around the southern part of town. The less scenic part of town. The pics are from the Mill District. Most of the area still isn't great to look at, a number of old mills. But some of this is starting to change. This was an old mill that's been converted to offices. it's interesting hoe they've kept the mill look so it still fits into the area. I hope they do this with some of the other mills in the area in the future.

img30665yp.jpg

img30673cj.jpg

The next group of pics is over in an area called Mt Sequoyah. Although it's not actually a mountain. Elevation is a little over 1700ft. The lower spots of Fayetteville are around 1100ft although there's plenty of other hills around too. Although I think Mt Sequoyah is the tallest hill in the city limits. There's a large Methodist retreat up here, although they recently sold the city a lot of the forested undevelop land. I believe the city will be keeping it as a park. It's hard to recognize many buildings. The leaves cover most of the larger buildings I've taken pics of. I might have to come back here late fall or winter when the leaves are gone so everyone can get a better look. In some of the pics you can see part of a large cross. As I said there's Methodist retreat up here. If you're in Fayetteville you may be able to look over and see the cross. All of these pics are looking to the west. In the third pic you can see some of the buildings on the U of A campus. The last pic has some buildings that are getting close to the downtown/Square area.

img30709nf.jpg

img30710mb.jpg

img30746zv.jpg

img30760wt.jpg

The last pic is a poor attempt to take a picture from I-540 going north into Fayetteville. It's a nice view as you pass the final hill and finally get to see Fayetteville. It's also nice at night. If you look straight up from the red car you can see Old Main. The other buildings near it are building on the U of A campus. Much of the campus is on a hill compared to other parts of the city. Perhaps I'll make a better attempt at taking a pic in this area one day.

img30695mc.jpg

Well there were quite a few pics this time. Hopefully I haven't overdone it. I'm still open to suggestions for the future. I'm considering doing the U of A campus in the next few weeks. Hope everyone enjoys.

Very nice pics. I'm really big on forumer pics, since IMO forumers are the best source of relevant pics of any city. You did a great job of showing off Fayetteville. I'm really enjoying getting to see pics of your city, and for that matter I really enjoy coming into the Arkansas forum and seeing all the great threads and posts you all produce. You all do a great job over here.

Really great thread.

Very nice pics. I'm really big on forumer pics, since IMO forumers are the best source of relevant pics of any city. You did a great job of showing off Fayetteville. I'm really enjoying getting to see pics of your city, and for that matter I really enjoy coming into the Arkansas forum and seeing all the great threads and posts you all produce. You all do a great job over here.

Really great thread.

Thanks, I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it. And I do agree with you about the pictures. It's one thing to read descriptions but another to actually see what someone is talking about. I've enjoyed the pictures in the Tennessee forum and I've also enjoyed Skirby's pictures of Little Rock. I also just noticed your pics of Jackson in the Lousiana forum, good job Rural King.

Once again thanks everyone for your positive responses. Not sure if I'll go out again to take pics this weekend but sometime in the next couple of weeks I think I'm going to go to the U of A and take some pics there too. Although Old Main is now having some scaffolding and construction to put a new clock into the clock tower. I've really been trying to think of any other possibilities. Not really sure if anyone would have any interest in pics say around the mall area. It's really the only other area I can think of that has had quite a bit of development. I suppose I could take more pics of restaurants near there. Most of them are chains. Not a whole lot going on at the botanical garden right now. I guess there is the Lindsey building. Any suggestions for what you guys might like to see?

Hey just wanted to compliment Mith on the great pictures. If you're looking to take more, may I suggest Mount Sequoyah and the Historic District. They are some of the more established neighborhoods in Fayetteville and afford some of the very best views in the area. Also around Anson street are some really cool houses designed by local architect James Lambeth which I think really represent the local style of architecture. Oklahoma/ Texas way, skyline, williams dr, Lafayette, Olive, Sutton, Washington ave, etc are all very nice streets to take pics of as well.

Hey just wanted to compliment Mith on the great pictures. If you're looking to take more, may I suggest Mount Sequoyah and the Historic District. They are some of the more established neighborhoods in Fayetteville and afford some of the very best views in the area. Also around Anson street are some really cool houses designed by local architect James Lambeth which I think really represent the local style of architecture. Oklahoma/ Texas way, skyline, williams dr, Lafayette, Olive, Sutton, Washington ave, etc are all very nice streets to take pics of as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see what I can do. I did try going around one historic neighborhood but I couldn't really get any good shots of the houses. The ones I saw seemed to have so much vegetation around to see much. I know there are some interesting houses on Mt Sequoyah but I wasn't sure if there was much interest in pics of houses in general. I also wasn't sure how accepted I'd be taking pics of people houses. I've also considered taking some pics of E Fay Jones' architecture since I am a big fan of his. Maybe a trip to Thorncrown and Cooper Memorial Chapels. Maybe some pics of Eureka Springs might be nice too. At some point I'll have to consider areas outside Fayetteville.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see what I can do. I did try going around one historic neighborhood but I couldn't really get any good shots of the houses. The ones I saw seemed to have so much vegetation around to see much. I know there are some interesting houses on Mt Sequoyah but I wasn't sure if there was much interest in pics of houses in general. I also wasn't sure how accepted I'd be taking pics of people houses. I've also considered taking some pics of E Fay Jones' architecture since I am a big fan of his. Maybe a trip to Thorncrown and Cooper Memorial Chapels. Maybe some pics of Eureka Springs might be nice too. At some point I'll have to consider areas outside Fayetteville.

The Clinton House would be a nice one to take a picture of.

Didn't they turn it into a museum recently?

I havent' seen anything on the Lindsay Building but that would be nice. You've pretty much covered the whole city, so good job.

Looks like Pictures of Rogers is going to have to wait a while. My camera broke after I dropped it, so I have to send it in.

Honestly I haven't covered that much of the city. I guess Fayetteville does have some nice centralization. Aside from the pics of the former mill just about all of them were mainly in one area in general. Although I'm not sure how much more there is of interest to take pics of. Unless I start going for more general development like shopping centers and such or houses.

Archived