Pictures of Fayetteville

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where all I'll try to go for pics tomorrow but I do plan on stopping by the campus and taking some pics. I may try to go visit some of the older neighborhoods afterwards. I don't think all the scaffolding will be gone but I will be able to take pictures of Old Main with the clock faces installed. Although the actual clock won't be installed for another month. I didn't know this until I read it in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette recently that for a long time they painted clock faces on the tower to make it look like there was a clock there. Of course it was meant to have a clocked installed when it was built but it never was. It will be 130 years late but Old Main will finally get it's clock.

Okay time for some more pics. I didn't get to go everywhere I had planned. Walking around campus took a lot longer than I thought. That and the hilly terrain really took a beating on my feet this time. Next time I certainly know to wear more comfortable shoes. Well hopefully no one is bothered by a lot of pictures because I took a lot today. Mostly around the U of A campus but I did make it over to the Mount Nord Histroical District and tooks some pics around there too. Until I looked on the internet I had never even heard of the Mount Nord Historical District. Mount Nord St doesn't really connect to any major streets or anything. I'm going to start off with pics there because it's going to take quite a while to upload all the campus pics. This first group is all on Mount Nord St itself. I'm not quite sure how far the historical district goes out.

img33787lt.jpg

img33797kn.jpg

img33801tc.jpg

img33836xi.jpg

img33868lh.jpg

img33896ym.jpg

img33902mq.jpg

img33911kn.jpg

img33953md.jpg

img33979zc.jpg

img33980go.jpg

img34010xf.jpg

img34022rq.jpg

img34038zn.jpg

img34504jl.jpg

Still had a bit of a hard time taking some pics. Some of these neighborhoods have so much vegetation. I believe the Mount Nord and Washongton-Willow Historical Districts have the oldest houses in Fayetteville. There also the Wilson Park Historical District but I don't think any of the houses there go back to the 1800's though, just 1900's. I've noticed there are some of the wooden Victorian style houses here in Fayetteville but there are few compared to other cities in Arkansas. I'm not quite sure why. I think part of the reason has to do with the fact at that time southeast Arkansas was the big area of Arkansas. There was more population in that part of the state and also more trade and commerce. So I think people there could afford the more ornate Victorian style houses. Eureka Springs does have quite a few and it's not too far away. But it was more of a resort city because of it springs. I'm not sure if they aren't quite as old as some of the Victorian style houses but I do like a lot of the stone houses found in Fayetteville. I don't know how far the Mount Nord Historical District goes, so some of th houses may be outside of it. In fact I think at one point I was starting to get a bit close to the Wilson Park Historical District. So there's a chance I may have strayed into it for a few pics. I also had to throw in a few foliage pics since it is fall. The third pic is of Maple St. It is a more travelled road in this area. I had always wondered why in this section it got so narrow with no shoulders. I'm guessing it's part of the historical district and you can't go changing roads and such in a historical district.

img34047cr.jpg

img34057pp.jpg

img34063dz.jpg

img34073lw.jpg

img34083yv.jpg

img34090fl.jpg

img34114hr.jpg

img34132ut.jpg

img34148nn.jpg

img34191pi.jpg

img34205cg.jpg

img34213cl.jpg

img34229rq.jpg

img34234nh.jpg

img34247tm.jpg

img34257sf.jpg

img34260sx.jpg

img34276wf.jpg

img34281pi.jpg

Okay last group of pics from the Mount Nord Historical District area. In one pic you can see the Square off in the distance. I had taken a pic from there over toward this area. I had thought I was looking at houses on Lafayette St but it looks like I was actually looking at Mount Nord St which is north of Lafayette St. Near the end the pics are along Lafayette St. Some of the houses were hard to take pictures of not because of the vegetation but because of the wall. In some areas the old wall along the sidewalk got close to head level for me and I'm a little over 6'. The last two are of some of the buildings on the U of A campus from Lafayette St.

img34298dn.jpg

img34308vi.jpg

img34314wr.jpg

img34322vx.jpg

img34330gm.jpg

img34497td.jpg

img34345bo.jpg

img34361is.jpg

img34377md.jpg

img34388nu.jpg

img34392gx.jpg

img34400fc.jpg

img34423tb.jpg

img34439qu.jpg

img34442th.jpg

img34450wa.jpg

img34461oj.jpg

img34473ad.jpg

That's it for now. It's going to take me a while to get all my U of A pics uploaded. May not get them on here till tonight or tomorrow depending on what all I've got going on. Oh and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I didn't get a chance to get to some of the areas mentioned by some. I'll probably try to hit the Washington-Willow Historical District next. Other areas I'm hoping to get to soon will be the Wilson Park Historical District and some pics of some of the residential areas of Mt Sequoyah. That and since I will eventuallt have some U of A pics on here I'd also like to drive down to Baum Field and take some pics since it's not within easy walking distance from campus. Oh and Matt I still need to get you some pics of the Lindsey Building that's going up.

Great photos.

I'm not very familiar with NW Arkansas, so this may be a stupid question. In that very last pic, do you know what that tall building in the center of the pic is?

No problem, It's one of the dorms on the U of A campus. In fact the other buildings you see around there are also campus buildings in the distance. Quite a bit of the campus is on a hill so some of the buildings are rather visible in a number of areas around the city.

While I'm still working on my U of A pics thought I'd post a few miscellaneous pics near the campus I took. The first is a pic of an older house on Maple St near the campus. Then there are some pics of the mosque here in Fayetteville, it's near Razorback Rd. The last three are some pics of some buildings that were designed by Edward Durell Stone. He was mentioned recently because some of his buildings he designed on campus were torn down. There is still a little bit left but I'm not sure if there are plans to leave these buildings or if they are also going to be torn down in the near future. He's another architect who has Arkansas ties and has designed many well known buildings around the country and the world.

img32690sb.jpg

img33297ji.jpg

img33304hk.jpg

img33317hu.jpg

img33322bn.jpg

img33363mo.jpg

img33448gf.jpg

img33455wq.jpg

img33468ls.jpg

I've been a little surprised. We're supposedly almost at peak according to some sources but I still see lots of trees that are green. All the maples are changing and some others of course. But I don't think I've seen any oaks change yet. But anyway I'll slowly start posting some of my U of A pics. I'll start off with Carnal Hall. It stood empty for a while and there was talk of tearing it down but they finally decided to renovate it. Now it's used as a small inn. There's also a restaurant inside called Ella's. For a while it was run by the same people at James at the Mill. Not sure what happened but now it's more under the control of the university I believe. Then of course there's Old Main. I was surprised there was scaffolding all around the building not just the towers. Sometime I'll go back and take some pics after the scaffolding is gone. It will be nice to finally have a working clock in Old Main.

img30926mc.jpg

img30962cx.jpg

img30991cm.jpg

img31005tn.jpg

img31047px.jpg

img31106gt.jpg

img31123dg.jpg

img31131pa.jpg

img31144mr.jpg

img31177cr.jpg

img31185xj.jpg

Okay time for some more pics. Old Main will make some more appearances along with the Peace Fountain. It was designed by E Fay Jones and it lies between Old Main and Vol Walker, the architecture building. I also added some pics of Senior Walk. Something unique to the U of A, all seniors have their names placed in the sidewalks around the campus. Although there's been talk that eventually it will have to end because they will run out of room one of these days. But they are still going, it will also get harder they they keep increasing enrollment also. I tried taking pics of the oldest part of Senior Walk. Although the scaffolding around Old Main caused some shadows on the very oldest part. I'll also put in some pictures of Ozark Hall and the Old Engineering Building. There are a number of these type of building around campus. They are all of generally the same style and built of limestone, all built in the late 20's I believe.

img31068io.jpg

img31084hs.jpg

img31058qs.jpg

img31077bn.jpg

img31091bf.jpg

img31194wz.jpg

img31205zn.jpg

img31219mv.jpg

img31230hl.jpg

img31242kp.jpg

img31255ad.jpg

img31265bg.jpg

I'll start off this next group with some pics of the parking deck on campus. I didn't actually walk over there but just took some pics further away. It's the largest parking deck in the state. Then there's some pics of the Bell Engineering Building and the Science Engineering Building. I believe the later has been remodeled a bit. I'm pretty sure it used to have a plain white exterior. I like the Bell Engineering Building because it has some odd angles.

img31305nu.jpg

img31285oj.jpg

img31315dz.jpg

img31272pi.jpg

img31295hx.jpg

img31328uq.jpg

img31339hb.jpg

img31349ql.jpg

img31368mt.jpg

img31350lp.jpg

img31391zj.jpg

img31409zq.jpg

Here's some more of the Science Engineering Building. It's a bit of an odd building, although they have changed some of that. For quite a while the Dan Ferritor Building in front of it wasn't there. It had two long walkways that attached to the building on the north side. Because of the hill the walkways connected you to the fourth floor, so if you entered it from the main part of the campus you usually entered it on the fourth floor. It was just an odd design. But they've now added a building to the front of it where the walkways were but you can still see parts of the walkways between the buildings. Then the white monolithic building is the Science Building. Then there's some shots of Kimpel Hall. The last two are of what I think is called the Walton Hall of Business now.

img31377xg.jpg

img31418lg.jpg

img31425lm.jpg

img31446jy.jpg

img31463zm.jpg

img31472tx.jpg

img31439ts.jpg

img31483dr.jpg

img31520bo.jpg

img31539ma.jpg

img31544ok.jpg

img31551uh.jpg

I'll start this group of pics with Yocum and Humphries Halls. These dorms can be seen in many areas of the city. I believe if you look closely you can see them in some of the other pics I've taken. Like the one from Lafayette St. These dorms can also be seen when you first enter the city from I-540 from the south. They are basically twin building except they are perpendicular to each other. Then there Brough Commons the main cafeteria on campus. The sign mentions it used to be the home of the McIlroy's. McIlroy Bank used to be one of the biggest if not the biggest bank in Fayetteville till Arvest bought them out. Then there's Gregson Hall, where Dickson St begins or ends depending on how you look at it. Then some shots eastward along Dickson St. The terrain keeps you from seeing much of Dickson where the Walton Art Center is but you can see Mt Sequoyah in the background.

img31568ap.jpg

img31570pe.jpg

img31584bq.jpg

img33520zu.jpg

img31638ou.jpg

img31645zz.jpg

img31621vx.jpg

img31668hx.jpg

img31696fh.jpg

img31680fs.jpg

img31600in.jpg

img31610hy.jpg

The next group of pics starts off with some shots near from the side of Gregson Hall looking towards the southwest. As you can see the hill that much of the campus is on drops off. If you look in the background of the first pic you can see part of I-540 as it comes down that last hill before you get to Fayetteville from the south. Then there is a bus terminal and parking deck that was built around 5 years ago I believe and there are also some views from it. The last pic is on Garland St. Like Dickson, Garland also started on campus but when they started building the Arkansas Union, which is one the right, they temporarily closed Garland at Maple St. But then they never opened it back up again. They did used to have a problems with students being hit under the 'overpass'. It used to just be a bridge for students to reach the Student Union, on the left of the picture. But now it's basically part of the newer Arkansas Union Building.

img31707qk.jpg

img31716ua.jpg

img31726gx.jpg

img31730xz.jpg

img31741im.jpg

img31773nn.jpg

img31788hu.jpg

img33644ng.jpg

img31808mx.jpg

img31790gv.jpg

img31834gw.jpg

img31840st.jpg

img31760sp.jpg

The first pic is a pic of the Arkansas Union Building. Then there's some pics of the Library. The beginning pics used to be the only entrance/exit. But then they added on to the library on the other side and made it the main entrance. Then there's some more pics of the Arkansas Union from the 'plaza' between it and the Library. I forgot to mention this earlier about all the Campaign for the 21st Century banners. The University recently achieved it's goal of donations. I don't recall the exact time period, I think it was around 5-8 years, but in that time period they managed $1 Bil. Of course a lot of that came from the Waltons.

img31862hr.jpg

img31947xh.jpg

img31970ek.jpg

img32149ks.jpg

img32173bf.jpg

img32181hp.jpg

img32209es.jpg

img32388dx.jpg

img32262od.jpg

img32271rc.jpg

The first pic is of the Greek Theater near Dickson St. Then I had to throw in a couple of foliage pics from campus. Then there's some pics back to that style of buildings that were all done in the late 20's. The Old Chemistry Building, Home Economics Building, the Agriculture Building, and Memorial Hall. Then there's the somewhat different looking ROTC Building.

img32124nn.jpg

img31986rm.jpg

img32033cs.jpg

img32134xh.jpg

img32169ok.jpg

img32225oj.jpg

img32249bl.jpg

img32375gv.jpg

img32393mg.jpg

img32521qz.jpg

img32541ab.jpg

img32541ab.jpg

img32656fr.jpg

img32598hg.jpg

img32631wb.jpg

img32642fi.jpg

Moving on to the north part of the campus. There's a couple of pics of twin dorm buildings near the northern edge of the hill that most of the campus sits on. Although the first pic which is Hotz has been changed over into offices for the university. The other building is Reed and it's still a dorm as far as I know. To the south of these buildings used to be a very large parking lot. All that's been developed into what's know as the Quad. It contains dorm, cafeteria and infirmary. Then there's a number of other buildings that I'm not going to go into detail. Just wanted to show some of the other styles of buildings on campus

img32890yf.jpg

img32908bo.jpg

img32918yj.jpg

img32991pn.jpg

img33000pj.jpg

img33019mz.jpg

img33021tp.jpg

img33039aw.jpg

img33044sq.jpg

img32706he.jpg

img32720eo.jpg

img32739wf.jpg

img33052wr.jpg

img33066yu.jpg

img33153jd.jpg

Now I'll go to some buildings some people may be more familiar with, the sports related buildings and complexes. I'll start off with the David Reynolds Razorback Stadium. Including the huge screen tv. I'm not sure if it's still the biggest in sports but I'm pretty sure it's still the biggest in college sports. Then to the big indoor practice facility. I could be wrong but I think I heard it's the biggest indoor practice facility in the SEC. Then there's the John McDonnell Field, the outdoor track facility.

img31816ds.jpg

img31823vj.jpg

img33168by.jpg

img33072st.jpg

img33131nu.jpg

img33179et.jpg

img33183jd.jpg

img33196yu.jpg

img33206ht.jpg

img33220hq.jpg

img33631ik.jpg

img33651aw.jpg

img33662za.jpg

img33236nh.jpg

img33240je.jpg

img33279hz.jpg

img33371an.jpg

img33539gj.jpg

Now I'll move on to Bud Walton Arena. Then there's some pics of Barnhill Arena. They no longer play basketball there but they still play some of the Lady Razorback sports like volleyball and gymnastics there. Then there's the indoor women's facility and the Hyper Building where the rest of the students go for sports related activities. Okay so you may be wondering what is the two pics of the older building is. It's been used for different things over the years. Including a museum that the university closed a while back ago because there wasn't 'enough money to keep it open'. The same university that just raised $1 Bil doesn't have the money to keep a museum open. But anyway this was used to be the place basketball games were played before Barnhill Arena was built. The very last pic used to be a sports related building. It originally was where the men's swim and diving team went. When we went to the SEC they dropped that sport so it was eventually renovated into offices.

img33385mx.jpg

img33396xo.jpg

img33406rt.jpg

img33419yp.jpg

img33428jc.jpg

img33437zd.jpg

img33212ub.jpg

img33627tk.jpg

img33564je.jpg

img33572oz.jpg

img33544ik.jpg

img33670cg.jpg