NHL

AceMentor

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy The preds are awesome and I love fang fingers....

I hope they do go all the way but this is a great sign going 5-0 and hopefully we will not lose before the senators. We need the pred because the Titans , Vols, Vandy had us going for a while, TSU, Mtsu all are not having a good year and we need something to cheer about. Now who's going to come up with a Preds fight song...

This is far and away the BEST Predators team ever. I'm really excited about this team, and plan to drive up from Chattanooga to see them on Oct 29th against the Edmonton Oilers. I look for them to go deep into the playoffs this year. A championship is not out of the question.

Don't get overly optimistic just yet guys. Best Pred start ever, yes. Best Pred roster ever, yes. We gotta remember though that it is only 5 games into the season and the Predators have yet to play a top tier team. But good going nonetheless.

Whether we have played a top tier team remains to be seen. We haven't played a traditional powerhouse from the old NHL. San Jose, however, was picked by some to win the west. Anaheim and Colorado are still both solid teams with superstars on their rosters.

And really, the Preds have only played one really solid game--that being against the now weak St.Louis Blues. Hopefully they can keep it up--what a great start!

The wife and I were at the game last night. I will say that I was VERY dissappointed at the crowd. It was pathetic for a team that sits atop the entire NHL! What a way to show we care Nashville. I guess the Vols and a worthless World Series wins out again. It was a shame for a Saturday night. Just plain pathetic.

Sorry, but if the city can't do any better than that, they should move to a city that will love their being there. Not love them when the stupid UT football team is playing or something else.

The wife and I were at the game last night. I will say that I was VERY dissappointed at the crowd. It was pathetic for a team that sits atop the entire NHL! What a way to show we care Nashville. I guess the Vols and a worthless World Series wins out again. It was a shame for a Saturday night. Just plain pathetic.

Sorry, but if the city can't do any better than that, they should move to a city that will love their being there. Not love them when the stupid UT football team is playing or something else.

How quickly everyone forgets that the NHL was on strike last year and nobody did care. A lot of the talk was whether hockey was viable in the south at all and whether certain markets would keep their teams, Nashville included. It took baseball a long time to regain its former popularity, aided by the homerun derby season of 98, after its 94 strike and hockey has no where near the status and popularity of baseball, especially in this part of the world. While it is great that the Preds are off to their best start ever, just remember what sport we're talking about here.

Which city would love them being there? I'm sure the Rangers or Montreal (Those teams stink right? I don't know the standings.) would like to trade teams with us at this point, but is there a city without hockey that would support them any more?

And watch your mouth about UT football, only I can call it stupid (which it is) and the game was in the afternoon anyway.

By the way Lexy, didn't you mention some East Nashville pictures you were working on?

How quickly everyone forgets that the NHL was on strike last year and nobody did care. A lot of the talk was whether hockey was viable in the south at all and whether certain markets would keep their teams, Nashville included. It took baseball a long time to regain its former popularity, aided by the homerun derby season of 98, after its 94 strike and hockey has no where near the status and popularity of baseball, especially in this part of the world. While it is great that the Preds are off to their best start ever, just remember what sport we're talking about here.

Which city would love them being there? I'm sure the Rangers or Montreal (Those teams stink right? I don't know the standings.) would like to trade teams with us at this point, but is there a city without hockey that would support them any more?

And watch your mouth about UT football, only I can call it stupid (which it is) and the game was in the afternoon anyway.

By the way Lexy, didn't you mention some East Nashville pictures you were working on?

I'm sorry for the rant, but its not like this is the same team from four years ago from the cellar looking up. There is no excuse. I know that Kansas City, Hamilton, adn Winnipeg have standing offers for a southern team when it goes belly up. It is a fact that the NHL wants a team in Hamilton, Ontario. They want to move a team there, not start a new one. Right now, the front runner in the move is Carolina due to, you guessed it, attendance. Nashvillians were too busy watching the games (football) to even give the hockey team a second thought last night and it was disheartening. I hate the lockout happened, but that is no excuse to not go to the games. Half these so called fans didn't know there was even an NHL team in this market until the lockout happened. Now that it's over, everyone sits on their butts and hopes somebody else will go or the Titans will make a miracuous turnaround. Whatever the excuse may be, and that is what it is....an excuse, it is not good enough for me IMO. But that is my opinion and I may be way off. Nashville has not lived up to the reputation that it is a "Fair Weather" team city! The Preds weather is sunny without a cloud in the sky, where are you Nashville?????

But yes, I have been really busy trying to help open a Publix store in Gallatin, but I am working on getting them posted just be patient with me for the next week. I have some pics from the game last night too I would love to post. Give me time, I will come through for you guys.

Lexy, me and a buddy have half season tickets and I've been frustrated with the attendance too. I thought for sure we would at least be close to a sellout on Saturday night. I guess we have to accept, at least for now, that this is the south and football is just going to come first for the first couple months of the season. I am confident that the ownership and the league aren't going to do any quick yanking. This year will give the Preds a chance to be successful for a year and really gain some loyalty from this town, especially from the casual sports fans who are out there just waiting to be won.

I think its a good point, villain makes--we are just coming off a strike and everyone was worried that attendance would be down, which is scary b/c last fall we had attendance numbers at 10, 000 and less even. So at least we are making progress and the numbers are definitely up.

Milwaukee has our minor league hockey team, and we have their minor league baseball team. I suggest a switch. We'll take the brewers and have the Pred's minor league team, and Milwaukee can have the NHL Preds and the Sounds minor league team. That'd make both cities happy, right?

In all honesty, I'm from the south. Hockey's interesting, and I like to see a game every now and then. But it's just too much of a yankee sport for me to enjoy! How many high schools around here field a hockey team? How many of the PReds are actually from somewhere other than Canada or the northern US? I want Nashville to be a two sport town, but why can't it be NFL and MLB. Or at least NFL and NBA (hey, if we had an NBA team, titans fans wouldn't be complainging about Adam Jones attitude. In the NBA he'd be a poster child!

We can't even get a Nextel Cup race!!!

Welcome to UP rocky top buzz. I will agree that Nashville doesn't get enough sports, but the fact is is that besides the Titans most fans in TN are UT football fans. :(

NBA- too much glamore and drama queens

NASCAR-too much tobacco spittin' and beer drinkin'

Baseball-Not enough fan support here. You are talking about a second sport that requires around 40,000 every game to break even now days. THat just isn't going to in Nashville.

NHL- a good fit for the market. Cheelp tickets and fun times. Who gives a flip where the players are from. They represent our city to the world. Doesn't matter if they are Russian or Norwegian. They still have the name of "Nashville" on their jersey (sweater). Too much of a Yankee sport is just a pitiful excuse though. I am from Kentucky, to many in Tennessee I am a Yankee. If an ol' basketball loving yankee from Kentucky can love the game of hockey (even if it gets in the way of my UK games) then anybody can. Tell me where else you can see a pro sport for ten dollars a ticket??? Sure as heck not the worthless NFL or the going broke NBA. Baseball is in another world when it comes to ticket prices too.

^Not only here but also in Memphis, Knoxville, & Chattanooga (with points in between like Murfreesboro and Cookeville) as well. The Predators cup has increased in attending teams from across the state every year it has been around. The Predators Cup is the state championship for high school hockey teams from the state. It is held at the Gaylord Entertainment Center.

Milwaukee has our minor league hockey team, and we have their minor league baseball team. I suggest a switch. We'll take the brewers and have the Pred's minor league team, and Milwaukee can have the NHL Preds and the Sounds minor league team. That'd make both cities happy, right?

In all honesty, I'm from the south. Hockey's interesting, and I like to see a game every now and then. But it's just too much of a yankee sport for me to enjoy! How many high schools around here field a hockey team? How many of the PReds are actually from somewhere other than Canada or the northern US? I want Nashville to be a two sport town, but why can't it be NFL and MLB. Or at least NFL and NBA (hey, if we had an NBA team, titans fans wouldn't be complainging about Adam Jones attitude. In the NBA he'd be a poster child!

We can't even get a Nextel Cup race!!!

Honestly, who cares about NASCAR?--it isn't even really a sport. I'd much rather have hockey, it is much more exciting--not even comparable. Baseball has looked our way before, but the owners in Atlanta and St.Louis are very opposed, b/c both of those markets count Nashville as part of their fan base and they don't want that infringed upon.

Yeah I'd rather watch an actual sport too where the players have to be really athletic to play rather then just watching cars going around a track.

This simply isn't an accurate perception. It takes ALOT of physical and mental endurance to sit in a a car that inside can easily top 100 degrees on asphalt track for the several hours it usually takes to run a race. Its not just drive fast and turn left. It takes skill to draft, not hit the wall coming out of turn at well over 100 mph yet get close enough to retain your line position and not wreck, knowing when and how to pass on the inside or the outside of any particular track, etc.

Honestly, who cares about NASCAR?--it isn't even really a sport. I'd much rather have hockey, it is much more exciting--not even comparable. Baseball has looked our way before, but the owners in Atlanta and St.Louis are very opposed, b/c both of those markets count Nashville as part of their fan base and they don't want that infringed upon.

In all honesty alot more folks care about NASCAR than hockey or for that matter any other sport outside of football or maybe baseball. Now whether or not NASCAR is a sport is rather subjective. I would call it one, but I grew up around racing so that shades my view. A single NASCAR Winston Cup race could draw as many fans as about 10 or more average hockey games in one day, so the economic impact is significant. I wouldn't underestimate the economic impact or the size of the fan base of NASCAR by calling it not a real sport that anybody cares about.

I'm not a NASCAR fan in the least, but I will say its alot more than what people commonly think it is.

This simply isn't an accurate perception. It takes ALOT of physical and mental endurance to sit in a a car that inside can easily top 100 degrees on asphalt track for the several hours it usually takes to run a race. Its not just drive fast and turn left. It takes skill to draft, not hit the wall coming out of turn at well over 100 mph yet get close enough to retain your line position and not wreck, knowing when and how to pass on the inside or the outside of any particular track, etc.

In all honesty alot more folks care about NASCAR than hockey or for that matter any other sport outside of football or maybe baseball. Now whether or not NASCAR is a sport is rather subjective. I would call it one, but I grew up around racing so that shades my view. A single NASCAR Winston Cup race could draw as many fans as about 10 or more average hockey games in one day, so the economic impact is significant. I wouldn't underestimate the economic impact or the size of the fan base of NASCAR by calling it not a real sport that anybody cares about.

I'm not a NASCAR fan in the least, but I will say its alot more than what people commonly think it is.

For those that want a Nextel Cup race, about the only way is to buy one of the old tracks that have one, close it down, and bring the race over. Every race track wants one. Both Memphis and Nashville are owned by the people that own Dover Downs, I think. Dover isn't about to give up either of its races. They draw from DC, Pennsyvania, and the entire Northeast as well as the traditional south. If NASCAR starts any new races, it will want to continue its move into large underrepresented markets.

Me, I'm surprised that there is this much talk about hockey.

^ With all due respect Rural King. I don't think it takes any more skill to be a driver in NASCAR than it does for me to want to take I-24 to downtown Nashville from my house here in Murfreesboro. I mean come on, you have a pit chief and spotters that are telling you everything to do and look for around you. All you have to do is steer, keep your foot on the gas, and know how to drive in a circle. I don't mean to water it do so much, but the physical constraints about NASCAR are hardly close to four or six hours of gametime in a one week period that you see in hockey. Lets just look at the facts about the sports if a comparison is needed. I have known some racers in my time, matter of fact I know a man who owns a NASCAR Busch team back in my hoemtown in Central City, Kentucky. Even he (Clarence Brewer of BREWCO Motorsports) has admitted that NASCAR is all about the money and business end more so than the sport.

^ Well it is a "motor" sport ;), and no its not as physically grueling in the same way as some other sports, but I think people too often write it off as "drive fast turn left" and downplay it as a rural redneck sport that takes little skill or knowledge and underestimate its popularity. Its true though that NASCAR is increasingly about the money and technology and less about driving and thats hurting the sport IMO.

I do think it takes alot of driving skill though to make it to the NASCAR level. Lots of folks get put into cars who don't have the skill by folks with money and are quickly washed out, so its not like any average joe who wants to run can do it and be successful. You have to know how to draft, run lines, etc. Actually race car driving is somewhat of a science if you want to be successful at it (be it driving the car or setting up the car to run on a particular track).

We all can disagree on this. I just wanted to present counter-arguments to some of the statements made for a better informed discussion. I grew up around racers all my life, so I just have a different take.

I don't want to keep this thread off topic.

Archived