Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadVlad

New England States

MadVlad    1

I just read an article in the Hartford Courant about the 6 New England States and how, despite their relatively small sizes, they compete and want to retain their own identity, even in the face of losing business' and people. Interesting, and I'd like to hear all your thoughts....

Read

Hope I wrote this post right, I'm trying hard to stay within the parameters set on this forum, and still link a newspaper clip. If I did it wrong, send me a PM and I'll edit it however you like....

MadVlad    1

I agree that by working together the New England states are far more powerful. Cooperation is the only way to go.

I'm with you. Despite any harsh words that I've posted here one way or the other, I have a definite loyalty to any New England State/City over any non New England State/City. Anything that makes the region do well, in any area, is good for us all, in my opinion.

Interesting article, thanks for telling us about it. I didn't know that Massachusetts' population is dropping.

It's not a significant drop (I think last year the bureau estimated roughly 5,000 residents had moved out), but it is shocking none-the-less. I don't know about any other places in the state, but the Springfield suburb of East Longmeadow, where my aunt and uncle live, is experiencing a pretty significant boom.

SOCOM    0

I'm with you. Despite any harsh words that I've posted here one way or the other, I have a definite loyalty to any New England State/City over any non New England State/City. Anything that makes the region do well, in any area, is good for us all, in my opinion.

Same here. I'll rip on other New England states from time to time, and even say I'm glad to be a part of the NYC mega-metro...but deep down, I'm proud to be a New Englander and hope we can pull together to keep this region as highly regarded as it is. :wub:

LItoCT    0

Moving from Long Island to Connecticut I really have begun to treat New England like one state. And in the same way that I rip on people from Buffalo and Rochester as not being real New Yorkers I rip on other NE states...but I'm still an intensly proud New Yorker and really, really love upstate (especially Ithaca) no matter how much I call the people who live in upstate hicks (not to say we don't have our fair share of hicks on long island).

Recchia    0

Moving from Long Island to Connecticut I really have begun to treat New England like one state. And in the same way that I rip on people from Buffalo and Rochester as not being real New Yorkers I rip on other NE states...but I'm still an intensly proud New Yorker and really, really love upstate (especially Ithaca) no matter how much I call the people who live in upstate hicks (not to say we don't have our fair share of hicks on long island).

People from the Island think everyone else is a hick.

LItoCT    0

People from the Island think everyone else is a hick.

Well, I didn't want to be so blunt but...yeah, we do.

runawayjim    0

i don't see new england thriving as one state. each state has a very different identity from the rest, even though they are so small. that identity attracts people to those states. loss of that identity would probably hurt the states more than it would help them.

you've got the yuppies of CT, the hippies of VT, the hicks of ME, the rednecks of NH, RI'ers are in a class of their own. and then there's MA, which is still different. regardless of these being generally stereotyped and looked down upon terms, it attracts people. you'd think VT and NH would be similar, but they're so different (complete opposite in fact... hippies in VT, conservatives in NH, cities in the north of VT, cities in the south of NH, and just look at their shapes).

cloudship    7

I think that one of the reasons New England is doing as well as it is, is because it is 5 separate states, and not one huge mass. Our States are in some ways closer to Counties in other, particularly southern and western, states, and because of that they have more local control.

I think the real issue is that the needs and strengths of New England are rather different than many other parts of the country. New England does much better with the knowledge-based industries and is really big on information and innovation. Our business model favors smaller retailers over the larger companies. Many other parts of the country are better suited towards traditional business practices and manufacturing. A conservative government tends to favor those traditional industry roles and large corporations is naturally going to a bad thing for New England.

runawayjim    0

Eh, we don't really count Connecticut. The're more New York, ya know? : )

Woops. I hope that was a typo. Either that or some kind of freudian slip...

:rofl:

runawayjim    0

Sigh.... it never ends ;)

i spent 24 years in CT... half of it is new england, the other half is new york. so we should compromise on 5.5 new england states... :P

Cotuit    0

In that case, we'll just annex Rhode Island since it's so small, maybe nobody would miss it... :whistling:

You don't want RI, we drive like Massholes.

drc72    5

In that case, we'll just annex Rhode Island since it's so small, maybe nobody would miss it... :whistling:

Providence, Connecticut does have a ring to it. :D

cloudship    7

And yet for a state that's what, three times the size of LA, they have their own dialect, their own accent, their own culture...

I say we chop the Cape/Lower Mass off and give that to Rhode Island to make them feel a little better. And we can give that part of Mass that is west of the connecticut river to Vermont, but what about Amherst? Where are all the party kids going to go college then?

cloudship    7

Wow. Must be getting late and my mind is going scary places.

Lets take this the other way - what would you think about New England as it's own separate country? Assuming that it was done in an amicable manner, think it could survive on it's own? How do think that would work out?

Lone Ranger    0

See I'm thinking the other way here. No way you're going to separate these states from their sovereignty. But what about creating a sort of super-regional governing body? OK, so I doubt that would be constitutional. Or if not a governing body, at least an advisory committee? The New England Commission, or something like that? If nothing else, it would get us (as states) seriously thinking about our condition of being in the same boat together, and that (IMO) would be a step in the right direction.

Historically, we NE'ers have been very divided. But in the future, I hope we begin to see each other more in terms of our (many) similarities and less in terms of our several dissimilarities. And I really don't see any further use for the latent (and sometimes not-so-latent) hostility we bear towards one another.

Or as someone once said, can't we all just get along?!? :rofl:

cloudship    7

It's kind of a sybling rivalry, though. While we tend to squable amongst ourselves, when tend to stick together when it comes to fighting against the rest of the country.

So what would be the real benefits of a larger regional governance? For the most part, no one in this area realy wants to be that closely tied economically with each other - that kind of dilutes identity as well as not allowing each region to focus on their own strengths. Plus, one of New Englands key advantages is it's localness - the last think they need is to start thinking in large generalized chunks - that would take away from the individual city centers and promote more sprawl.