Downtown Residential Projects Map

bobliocatt

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is true, but the southbank projects are all right on the river and have multiple towers per project. I like how the two have their own personalities. Northbank is more urban/metropolis, and southbank is luxury. Both banks have a ton of stuff coming in. I love Actionville.

The Northbank also has a couple of multi-tower projects, as well (Berkman, St. Johns Point and the Shipyards). Nevertheless, while the new skyline changing towers get the most press, in the overall scheme of things the smaller more unique Northbank projects (ex. Carling, Metropolitan, etc.) are the ones that will quickly lead to true urban vibrancy. The Southbank is so suburban oriented, it will still have a long way to go even after most of these projects are completed.

Urban: I agree. I like the historic bldgs downtown much more than the new towers. And, I dont really consider the southbank to be part of the downtown core. It is at best a peripheral part of downtown. Downtown has historically been on the northside of the river (although this is changing now).

By the way, good win for the Jags today in Pittsburgh. Are the winning Jags back?? :D

Wow, look at all the units!!!

The northbank definitely looks more substantial, but the key difference is the southbank is actually getting towers off the ground while the northbank falls behind. Lets hope the red tape is cut on the Shipyards soon and the site sees some action.

...Riverside, Looks like tha Jags have a shot at the playoffs based on the remainder of their schedule. The hard games are out of the way and all that is left is Indy and the Titans. Things are looking up for us!....

Wow, look at all the units!!!

The northbank definitely looks more substantial, but the key difference is the southbank is actually getting towers off the ground while the northbank falls behind. Lets hope the red tape is cut on the Shipyards soon and the site sees some action.

I think it appears that the Southbank is booming faster, because there was never anything there before, so all of the projects are new towers. On the other hand, the Northbank is adding units at a similar rate, except many of the projects are adaptive reuse.

Under Construction or completed since 2000.

Southbank:

Home Street Lofts - 12

The Peninsula - 234

The Strand - 295

San Marco Place - 141

Total = 682

Northbank:

20 West - 20

Parks at Cathedral - 51

A.D. Knight Lofts - 12

Berkman Plaza - 206

The Metropolitan - 118

11 East Forsyth - 127

The Carling - 100

Total = 634

I didn't realize the numbers were so comparable. Thanks Lake.

Apparently the NB has a few more units proposed

NB - 2,615

SB - 2,482

However, the southbank will probably build-out their units before the northbank does. Quite the race!

The YMCA plans to renovate and stay. Originally they were going to relocate and sell the site to St. Joe, which wanted to construct a 17 story condo tower on the site.

If the YMCA makes their riverfront greenspace available to the public, it would make a great neighbor. However, I don't think the YMCA owns the large surface parking lot, next to Haskell.

Thanx for the info. I'm glad to hear that something good will be happening. The St. Joe's project sounded promising but if the Y fixes everything up that's fine too. I wish they would tear down the existing structure and build a new one on the waterfront and then use the old place for parking. I just hate seeing all that wasted space. And that surface parking lot is god-awful. Step by step I guess.

The most frustrating thing about the Y property is that stupid riverfront track. It's totally useless. The Y could have a developer build a riverfront condo tower on the track site without ever having to move anything else. God forbid you give up the track ... considering it's adjacent to a huge beautiful public RUNNING PATH (the riverwalk).

Great map, by the way. They are a bit generous, listing a few proposals that are "on-hold" at very best, like the Parks at Cathedral phase 2, the landing, and 323 duval. But overall, it's really a great little visual.

That track used to be almost standard sized, now i think it is shorter than 200 meters. It has an excellent view both to the south and to the east, but it is no loner very necessarry. A nice foot path should be made from the riverwalk to the YMCA parking lot or to the front of the building, instead of that track. Then a tower could easily be fit in rright there. I love that Y, but what good is a 170 meter track??

Archived