Bushwick, Brooklyn

habitat67

I moved to Bushwick, Brooklyn a couple of months ago. It's a rough neighborhood that is on the cusp of gentrification. I live in one of two rennovated buildings -- mine is a converted factory, and the other is an old German opera house from the 1880's.

The hood is east of the already gentrified Williamsburg -- it is on the border between Brooklyn and Queens. If you look on the map below, my place is near the red pointer. The diagonal street, Broadway is covered by an elevated subway line where you can take the J, M or Z train into Manhattan or out to Queens.

The elevated train runs right outside my windows (it's not as loud as you would think -- thank god for insulated windows!). I took a couple of shots out my window and several on street-level. There are also a couple of random shots of the hood.

It's an interesting time to be living in this area. I hope that gentrification does not eliminate all of the diversity in the neighborhood. It seems as though developers may be somewhat conscious of the effects of taking over a neighborhood and pushing the poor people out -- there are several mixed-income projects in the works and they are also converting an old and beautiful factory a few blocks down from me into a veterans home. I have seen some of the renderings for the project and it looks great.

53224715_0c046f1845_o.png

53212723_85e44a0c6d_o.jpg

53212689_da7e43069d_o.jpg

53212700_ca8fb39554_o.jpg

53212667_95b6566fe4_o.jpg

53212651_5c3673c4f3_o.jpg

53212628_00c504e7ed_o.jpg

53212600_fe35f4af26_o.jpg

53212569_b825d91ab9_o.jpg

53212525_9e6b7a8391_o.jpg

53212480_9de0cdba67_o.jpg

53212420_a0430f7ff2_o.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What train line is that by the way, and how late does it run?

It's the J, M and Z line -- it's the brown-line on subway maps -- the trains are elevated in my part of Brooklyn, they go over the Williamsburg bridge into Manhatten where they go back underground.

The trains run 24/7/365 -- however the J train runs express in the AM rush going into Manhattan and then runs express during the PM rush going out of Manhattan -- all in all it takes me about 35 min. to get from my apartment to work at Rockefeller Center.

It's the J, M and Z line -- it's the brown-line on subway maps -- the trains are elevated in my part of Brooklyn, they go over the Williamsburg bridge into Manhatten where they go back underground.

The trains run 24/7/365 -- however the J train runs express in the AM rush going into Manhattan and then runs express during the PM rush going out of Manhattan -- all in all it takes me about 35 min. to get from my apartment to work at Rockefeller Center.

Ah, of course its 24/7, this is New York, there's actually real nightlife, unlike Boston which shuts down at 2am...

I continue to be amazed by NYC's subway map. It's like a dream come true. http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/route/

Archived