Lenovo Building U.S. Headquarters in the Triangle

DanRNC

Still, as Lenovo tries to distinguish its products from the competition, jobs in research and development probably would be the last area Lenovo would cut, he said. Research and development is one of the company's major divisions in the Triangle.

CEO Bill Amelio said in October that he was impressed with the remarkable work being conducted in RTP. "We'd be foolish not to continue to grow that opportunity here," he said.

At least a large portion--if not all--of the RTP workforce should remain, if you believe these statemants.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Welcome to the tech world. I predicted there would be an IBM purge. GSK laid off an entire division a couple of months ago and is now hiring people back. Syngenta fired a bunch of senior staffers and replaced them with recent PhD grads-my friend being one of the new hires. The problem is that many of the tech/biotech jobs will be offshored forever just like the manufacturing sector but as long as you are willing to travel you may be able to survive in this biz.

I don't think there are any surprises here and I expect that as time goes on more will be layed off. There are specific laws that hit companies when they lay off more than 500 people at a time related to retraining, etc, that most companies don't want to face. So their modus operandi these days is to do quiet smaller layoffs to keep these trigger from taking effect like it would if they did one large layoff.

I honestly don't see why our government doesn't see the danger in letting all our basic technology go overseas. When the day comes when there is nobody left in the USA that has the skills to design and build a computer, then we are pretty much a lost nation. The pursuit of corporate profits at the expense of anything else, is quickly taking us to that place. Our competitors, including the communists that run China and hence really control Lenovo, couldn't be happier.

There is a reason our corporate controlled media doesn't refer to it as Communist China anymore.

Here is the N&O story on this wave of layoffs. Lenovo might even lose its job grant money since it isn't creating jobs already here when the PC/laptop jobs were part of IBM.

There are more jobs coming to RTP via Fidelity, etc. but 680 jobs (28% of Lenovo's 2,400 firings worldwide in the two layoffs) in two years is a lot to absorb.

Buzz words like "Lenovo's expenses were still too high" says costs are more important than quality. And the future doesn't sound good... "This is a seriously competitive industry," CEO Bill Amelio said. "I would love to be able to say we'd never do one of these things again. Unfortunately, I can't predict the future."

Here is the N&O story on this wave of layoffs. Lenovo might even lose its job grant money since it isn't creating jobs already here when the PC/laptop jobs were part of IBM.

There are more jobs coming to RTP via Fidelity, etc. but 680 jobs (28% of Lenovo's 2,400 firings worldwide in the two layoffs) in two years is a lot to absorb.

Buzz words like "Lenovo's expenses were still too high" says costs are more important than quality. And the future doesn't sound good... "This is a seriously competitive industry," CEO Bill Amelio said. "I would love to be able to say we'd never do one of these things again. Unfortunately, I can't predict the future."

Archived