Lenovo Building U.S. Headquarters in the Triangle

DanRNC

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great that Lenovo is building there HQ's here but I do agree.....why Morrisville?

Sprawl....Sprawl.....and more Sprawl...

We need the growth to be in our downtowns

It makes no sense to build in a DT for a tech company. Not pay DT rents on labs that requie a lot of space and parking for many people. Besides, they are not going to move far from where they are (if and now they are staying in the triangle) since it allows them to pulls employees from all 4 major areas of the triangle. (Cary/F-V, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill). Plus, on that side of Morrisville is being RTP without paying the "costs" to be in the park. It is right on the edge

The site is actually a great location for being Morrisville. It as the base of I-540 for its North Raleigh Residents, it is right off I-40 for it Durham, Chapel Hill and Raleigh residents and not far from Davis Dr for it many, many, many Cary employees. Plus it is 1 exit from the airpot which is the most important to handle all the people visiting for business.

Yea, I would like to see it in one of the DT's, but that was never "on the plate" and does not really make sense.

Hindsight is 20/20. Foresight is 20/400. If the founders of the Triangle cities knew what was to come, they would've developed over water, set aside space for large college campuses adjacent to the city centers, set aside space for research campuses nearby as well.

Instead we're forced to build this stuff in a sprawling wasteland. We can, however, coordinate it so that it developes some form of connectivity independant of the ubiquitous automobile, for later on.

I think the problem is not that RTP is a suburban officeplex jungle, but that the individual parts of it are segregated from everything else in it. For further developments, we should try getting a bunch of companies on board for single, giant, interconnected projects. If we start a shared campus area, everyone will eventually want to link up with it. THEN we'll have something.

It'd be like the Pentagon... of private research.

• 4 months later...

Looks like Lenovo will close it Purchase, NY co-HQ with Beijing and move it to RTP/Morrisville sight. This is smart and good for the Triangle. It should have been this way from the start except the Lenovo management thought they would need to be close to IBM HQ. They found out they did not need to be near Armonk/Somers.

The bad part of this are the layoffs coming with 1000 workers, most likely all in Europe and Americas. Not sure about RTP but my guess it could be high due to concentration of workers.

They will hire some people in the next 2 years but probably not at the level of pay the ex-IBMers were making.

But good to have the 3rd largest PC company in the world co-HQed here in the Triangle.

http://www.wral.com/news/8060161/detail.html

I hope the state sues them for the tax incentives that leveno was given to locate its operations here in the first place. 1400 positions are a lot lower than the 2200 they promised.

Not sure they have gotten anything yet. I think it comes later but I could be wrong. I don't think they would get money and then turn around and break it. Again, if I remember, it was incentives to come later if they met the metrics.

Over the long term the numbers should reach 2200 if not more. The tax incentives are not upfront payments but spread out over time. Once again these incentives are pittance compared to what was shelled out to Dell and Dole for relatively low paying jobs.

Looks like according to this article Dell has made claims that a purchase of a Leveno computer is the same as financing the Chinese Communist government. Its a rather odd attack given that Michael Dell is getting ready to hire 10,000 more workers in India.

Wonder how many of these barbs travel back and forth on I-40 :lol:

It should be noted that both Dell and Leveno have significant operations in NC that were in part due to NC state tax incentives. Neither plans to add 10,000 workers here.

Looks like according to this article Dell has made claims that a purchase of a Leveno computer is the same as financing the Chinese Communist government. Its a rather odd attack given that Michael Dell is getting ready to hire 10,000 more workers in India.

Wonder how many of these barbs travel back and forth on I-40 :lol:

It should be noted that both Dell and Leveno have significant operations in NC that were in part due to NC state tax incentives. Neither plans to add 10,000 workers here.

I honestly don't think the people in RTP even notice the Dell mfg plant down the road. I am sure they do watch what happens in Round Rock.

The incentives given to Dell were in the neighborhood of several hundred million. The incentives planned for Lenovo were $14M over 11 years. Dell is building a PC plant which can be put up and closed in no time (Look at other locations like Guad, El Paso, RTP, Austin, Monterey, Taiwan). The Lenovo investment is an office park with corporate HQ. Dell will be hiring people at an average salary of $28K. The average salary at Lenovo is $75K.

Dell location in the Triad is a lite mfg/distribution plant. Lenovo in RTP is a WW HQ. The people at Lenovo were already here and have been contributing "BIG TIME" to the local economy for almost 10 years. If there jobs go away, my guess is 60% of them move away. The Lenovo workforce is highly educated. Unsure about the Dell workforce but my guess is the number of MBAs are limited and many would not move to find employment.

I think the $14M that Lenovo got is a pittance and was not even an issue, especially over 11 years with metrics to follow progress and measured too. If I was a local leader, I would have given them twice that without even blinking. There are so many people who live in the Triangle who support Lenovo and have offices here. Almost very major tech company has an office here because of them and their big brother (Hitachi, Sony, Intel, 3Com, LSI, SSCI, etc). I hope Dell can drive the same number of outside jobs but most job creation happens at the decision locations like Palo Alto, Raleigh/RTP and Round Rock. At least, the higher paid jobs.

It does not amaze me Dell would say or hint to the Red China issue. The Lenovo CEO is American, the major decision makers are American and the Co-HQ is American. Like Ford calling Toyota a enemy because we fought Japan in WWII.

Dell as a company is having big issues and the other 2 are ready to pounce on the emerging marketplaces like India and China, while they do all they can do to hold on to their US marketshare. Let's see who wins.

More trouble for Communist owned Leveno. Apparently there are some that believe the Chinese Commies are placing bugs in Leveno computers that might be sold to the US Government. I can see calls for the govt. to switch to a different supplier. It is a bit scary to think of the US Government using computers supplied by Communist China.

More in this article.

Leveno Advert

_41451140_lenovo_gettytwo203.jpg

More trouble for Communist owned Leveno. Apparently there are some that believe the Chinese Commies are placing bugs in Leveno computers that might be sold to the US Government. I can see calls for the govt. to switch to a different supplier. It is a bit scary to think of the US Government using computers supplied by Communist China.

More in this article.

Leveno Advert

_41451140_lenovo_gettytwo203.jpg

The computer and computer parts you and everyone else uses today is either mfg or parts are mfg in China. Has been that way for years. The notebooks themselves are not developed in China but in Taiwan and Japan with US engineers looking on. The 3 big computer mfg are US based companies. They just don't slip something in on the mfg line that allows people from China to "peep" in?

If this was going to be done by the Chinese, it would be easier to get some 18 year old hacker to send a picture of Pamela Anderson to someone in DC and when they open it, the bug would spread......but I doubt that even exists.

This is nothing but "Red Scare" possibly put on by the people in Austin and maybe Palo Alto, but more likely the wackos fear mongers who make a living talking and creating fear. (Check you afternoon am radio for an example) Computers have been mfg in China for 10 years now and this comes up now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing to remember is that notebooks are developed outside of China and only mfg in China and the idea that they have some sort of secret bug in them is ludicrous. For desktops, they put together from parts. No secret agenda.

Again, Lenovo is US ran company (only Government 15%-20% owned), traded on the HK stock exchange, high percentage owned by the equities market and IBM even has a stake in it. The unseen in all of this is the Taiwanese are the developers of most of the notebooks and control the companies in China that is doing most of the mfg. (Yes, when it comes to money, they do get along). Taiwan is the exact opposite of the

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The CEO of Lenovo spoke at the Emerging Issues Forum yesterday and had some interesting things to say (WUNCTV should have a video clip soon) about education and global competiveness. One of the things he stressed was American's lack of ability to deal with people from foreign countries in a social setting as well as a lack of understanding global politics.

article

• 3 weeks later...

Archived