Florida Rail Transit | Intercity Rail | Florida High Speed Rail

KendallKid

So much for the argument that Florida doesnt support rail transit.

I note there was no money in the plan for High Speed rail which is the subject of this thread.

However this is good news for Orlando as the $220 million will satisfy the local requirement for the rail line. However the cost to build the line is currenly projected at $445 million and it remains to be seen if local leaders can put together a plan that will get them to the point of Federal funding of $225M. Without that portion, the amount that Jeb Bush has pledged will not go to Orlando. This may be another example of the Emperor has no clothes.

So much for the argument that Florida doesnt support rail transit.

Not according to State Senator Jim Sebesta. He was on the news last night proclaiming how floridians are married to their cars and wouldn't use a rail line... at least in the Tampa Bay area. I beg to differ. I love my car but I'm not married to it. His comment would carry more weight in a time when gas was 1.00 a gallon not when it's hovering in the 3.00 range and can go up even further at any time. He'll be getting a long winded very displeased letter from me by weeks end.

All four counties are pretty much committed. Osceola county is the only questionable one here.

What I mean by that is they will have to have the political will to force TOD around the stations to get the ridership numbers up to levels to meet the new federal requirements that went into effect this year.

I'd suggest everyone who already hasn't check out this 19 page PDF on the proposed commuter rail in Orlando.

http://www.metroplanorlando.com/site/uploa...date_july05.pdf

The total estimated cost for the 60+ mile two phased line is $473.5 million. Out of this, its projected that the Feds would be responsible for 50%, the State 25% and the local counties 25%. A couple of months ago, the counties agreed to fund their 25% share or $118.4 million. Now the State has pledged $220 million for construction and $53 million for initial maintenance and operational costs. However, the state was only initially supposed to cover $118.4 million. Is the State now contributing nearly $100 million more, or does the $220 million cover both the State and local government share?

Anyway, the initial 31 mile line, from Orlando to Debary (Orange/Seminole/Volusia) costs $220 million, so there's already enough to cover this portion, regardless of the Feds. However, I find it weird that phase two, from Orlando to Kissimmee costs a lot more then phase 1. I assume the tracks along that section aren't already double tracked?

All four counties are pretty much committed. Osceola county is the only questionable one here.

Do you have a source? As far as I understand Osceola has been on from the beginning and already pledged their share, it was Seminole that was raising concerns though I believe they were settled.

I'd suggest everyone who already hasn't check out this 19 page PDF on the proposed commuter rail in Orlando.

Anyway, the initial 31 mile line, from Orlando to Debary (Orange/Seminole/Volusia) costs $220 million, so there's already enough to cover this portion, regardless of the Feds. However, I find it weird that phase two, from Orlando to Kissimmee costs a lot more then phase 1. I assume the tracks along that section aren't already double tracked?

I know they are at least through Osceola, not sure about the Orange Co portion. It may have something to do with the industrial zones and rerouting that may have to occur in the Poinciana area.

Great presentation. I hadn't seen that before. The stations and pedestrian overpasses look very similar to Tri-Rail.

Edited by prahaboheme

Wow, this looks great for Orlando! I hope new commuter service means they'll spruce up the Orlando Amtrak station. I saw it, and it didn't look too good... I hope this type of transit can be as successful in Orlando as it is in South Florida.

They may spruce it up a bit, though the main stop for commuters downtown is going to be the Lynx Central Station stop.

Just for the record, Miami did get 100million from the state last year so they could build their MIC Metrorail connector without having to ask for federal funds.

Orlando is way behind and needs the money. I believe this is a fairly well thought out first step for them too.

The real question should be, why do roads continue to get so much state money at the expense of funding more transit.

^ Yes, for once...the local politicos in Central Florida actually worked together for the common good of the local populace.

On a side note...does anyone have the blueprint for the recent I-4 expansion announcement? I heard the toll lanes were still going to be added, even though Mica banned them.

As I recall, the question with Osceola is their reported insistance that they should own the tracks that pass through their jurisdiction. I do not believe the other three counties have lodged a similar demand. And at the time the story broke, rail proponents were calling it a potential deal-killer. Although Mica was still upbeat.

Haven't heard anything since.

As I recall, the question with Osceola is their reported insistance that they should own the tracks that pass through their jurisdiction. I do not believe the other three counties have lodged a similar demand. And at the time the story broke, rail proponents were calling it a potential deal-killer. Although Mica was still upbeat.

Haven't heard anything since.

I could have sworn that was Seminole County.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm not fully sure of the posting rules for news articles but I have to post this one from Baynews 9 about high speed rail.

Bullet train taking a detour

"The oft-discussed bullet train may be on the fast track to construction again.

Voters repealed an amendment last November that would have funded a rail system in the state. But Bay News 9 has learned the high-speed rail could be coming to the state.

State Senator Jim Sebesta, a long-time supporter of the bullet train, said it could be built without a cent from taxpayers."

I'm glad to see the project is still being pursued. Now if central florida and west central florida can get more local transit options this would be a great mix.