An example of how sliced up Metro Boston is

TheBostonian

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at that map you can see how the T covers probably the same amount of area outside of the actual city limits as it does inside. Which perfectly displays what the title of this thread says.

I know that the southern end of Boston (Hyde Park, etc.) has commuter rail service, but why does there seem to be a huge gap in rapid transit coverage down there? I remember hearing something on here about a new rapid transit line on the Fairmount CR line (is that the one to Hyde Park), what ever came from this?

Also, didn't the green E line used to extend further south?

Looking at that map you can see how the T covers probably the same amount of area outside of the actual city limits as it does inside. Which perfectly displays what the title of this thread says.

I know that the southern end of Boston (Hyde Park, etc.) has commuter rail service, but why does there seem to be a huge gap in rapid transit coverage down there? I remember hearing something on here about a new rapid transit line on the Fairmount CR line (is that the one to Hyde Park), what ever came from this?

Also, didn't the green E line used to extend further south?

The state has commited to upgrading the Fairmont line with more stations and more frequent service. And the E branch of the Green Line used to extend to Forest Hills at the end of the Orange Line as recently as maybe 20 years ago I think. It looks like other projects like extending the Green Line into Somerville have recently beat out the proposal to restore the E branch to Forest Hills. And the gap in coverage on the southern side of the system makes little sense to me.

• 1 month later...

Here is what it would look like on the previous map.

th_0ce_53311957_d74e0d98df.jpg

I've never seen the line drawn in with the rest of the subway lines like that (geographically rather than stylistically), only maps close up on the Indigo Line itself or maps showing it with all the commuter rail lines and everything else. Seeing it added to the subway map like that really highlights the benefit it will bring to the communities it serves.

I've never seen the line drawn in with the rest of the subway lines like that (geographically rather than stylistically), only maps close up on the Indigo Line itself or maps showing it with all the commuter rail lines and everything else. Seeing it added to the subway map like that really highlights the benefit it will bring to the communities it serves.

I drew the indigo line in with Microsoft Paint :D

If you look close at the colors and shading of that neighborhood, You can really tell how dense an area to live it is.

You haven't? You must check out my site http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/FutureT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whoa, I thought that the Silver Line was the newest addition to the T.

It is. The Indigo Line is the Fairmount branch of the commuter rail. It's the only commuter rail line that is entirely within the city of Boston. The plan is to add more stations and more trains to run the line more like a rapid transit line.

Archived