Visions that Never Happened

Cosocar

What are some of the structures that were proposed in the Columbia area, but never got built?

I know that the Capital Center was to have a bigger sister, about 30 stories and the Bank of America Plaza (then called the C&S Plaza) was to have a twin, but sadly, neither were built.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A) The Tapp's building was supposed to be converted into a 5 star hotel with rooftop pool. Also, a high rise condo was going to be bult on the Blanding and Sumter St. corner that was the Tapp's Furniture Showroom parking lot.

Something else ended up on the Sumter and Blanding corner, I can't rememeber what.

The party that wanted to convert the Tapp's building into a Hotel already owned and operated the only one in SC (Summerville). The city and ScE&G paid like 50k for a study on the feasibility. Obviously, it never came about.

B) The Art Musuem was once propsed for the site on Gervais across from the State Museum. Many years later it ended up on Main St.

C) The city had wanted the USC FBI school to go on Main St. where the Art Musuem is now, but instead it went on USC's campus.

Those are a few for starters...

The Most dissapointing news i heard when i was driving threw Concord, N.C. my father was showing me a Tobacco company i think the name was J&R. He told me in like in 1975 or 78 they were trying to build a plant in the Lower Richland Area, and Strom Thurmond and other city officals protested the company moving here. And when i say that the building they have outside of Charlotte is HUGE!! I heard they were also going to start people out with $17/hr. Do you know what that would have done for that area for columbia period. And the city officials wonder why the unemployment rate is so high, cause they run developers away and everything gets sucked up to I-77 anyway.

The Most dissapointing news i heard when i was driving threw Concord, N.C. my father was showing me a Tobacco company i think the name was J&R. He told me in like in 1975 or 78 they were trying to build a plant in the Lower Richland Area, and Strom Thurmond and other city officals protested the company moving here. And when i say that the building they have outside of Charlotte is HUGE!! I heard they were also going to start people out with $17/hr. Do you know what that would have done for that area for columbia period. And the city officials wonder why the unemployment rate is so high, cause they run developers away and everything gets sucked up to I-77 anyway.

I remember that controversy, but I was pretty young at the time, so I don't remember the details. I don't remember Thurmond being the culprit though. We watched channel 10-WIS then. I do remember a major petition drive to try to get the plant in Columbia. It was a big issue that year, it was an issue in the elections of '78 as I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that the Capital Center was to have a bigger sister, about 30 stories and the Bank of America Plaza (then called the C&S Plaza) was to have a twin, but sadly, neither were built.

WHAT?! Whomever dropped those proposals deserves pain. There could've been a 400 footer downtown and there would've been two non boxes graces the north end of Downtown? Makes my heart hurt.

Archived