UAB News

Blazer85

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess not there... for one, UAB basically does what it wants in most cases. And secondly, they may have ruled that out with the prospects of a Walmart SuperCenter being built just on the other side of I-65 from there on the Trinity site.

BTW, apparently it will be a $8-million football support facility that will be built on this site with football offices, meeting space, film rooms, and locker rooms. And believe me, it is VERY much needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was reading here that Hixson Hall is being demolished. It is being demolished due to the high costs of renovating it. Personally I kind of like its 60s mod design, and too many buildings like this are being demolished across the country :unsure:

Are there any plans for another residence hall on campus to make up for this loss?

There is the recently completed University House development... and there is also the Glen Iris condos which are under construction now. There are also loose plans/discussions for a Greek Row/Community. I think there may be plans for additional dorms in the future, but as of right now, I think the focus will be almost entirely on completing the Campus Green and its associated facilities and greenspace.

• 4 weeks later...

CALLAHAN EYE FOUNDATION HOSPITAL MAY BE MOVING TO UAB HIGHLANDS

University of Alabama at Birmingham officials has announced that they intend on moving the Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital from its current location on University Boulevard to the UAB Highlands (formerly HealthSouth Medical Center) on the Southside. Also the new plans call for a whole new facility rather than the use of the current one at UAB Highlands where there would be 12 operating rooms compared to the current 8 that are offered at the current Callahan location. They also plan on maintaining their license for 100-beds with the state along with the 219-beds that are licensed for UAB Highlands, allowing a combination of 319 beds in potentially for use for eye patients.

UAB looks to have decided to build a belltower/beacon as part of the Campus Green project. The tower is expected to be around 112ft tall and have a golden-metallic cap. Also, there are plans to put a light-emitting beacon atop the tower that will be visible from great distances. Here's a preliminary rendering:

beacontower.jpg

I forgot to mention this large article in this past Sunday's News:

College life takes on new meaning as more and more Blazer students opt to live on campus

In addition to the bell tower announcement, UAB has seem to be seen a large increase in on-campus student population. It has increased from 1,500 to 1,900, and with nearly 2,000 students on campus this is giving the university more of an actual college atmosphere. It has been interesting seeing this campus morph over the last 4 years and it will be even more interesting as it continues to become an urban university campus. I wouldn't mind seeing the campus become more reminscent of the Ohio State campus in Columbus along with all the urban renewal benefits.

• 1 month later...
UAB looks to have decided to build a belltower/beacon as part of the Campus Green project. The tower is expected to be around 112ft tall and have a golden-metallic cap. Also, there are plans to put a light-emitting beacon atop the tower that will be visible from great distances.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

UAB Hospital is to add 30 more beds to its Psychiatric ward. This addition will bring the total number of beds in there up to 108 making it the largest in-patient psychiatric facility in the Greater Birmingham area.

Also on UAB Womens' and Children Hospital is in final stages of construction the completion of the top floor of the facility.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, UAB had plans to purchase the former Best Western hotel now known as Medical Center Inn. However, the plan was withdrawn from the agenda at the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees meeting. Long-term plans for UAB calls for an expansion of athletic facilities including a new softball stadium.

• 5 months later...

The UAB Masters' Program in Health Administration is now the nation's 9th largest of its kind by Modern Health magazine with 90 students, which is stark considering all the 2 other Southern schools (UNC-Chapel Hill and the Medical University of South Carolina) ahead of them are nearly twice as old as UAB. UAB has gained a national reputation as for its medical and health programs along with its diversity.

Archived