Fayetteville Downtown Master Plan

Mith242

I was going to start this topic a little later but thought maybe I could some discussions going now and add more later when I can like some photos of involved areas. First of all let me post this website so that everyone can have a look at the plan if you want.

http://accessfayetteville.org/planning_dev...wn_master_plan/

They are all pdf files. I wish there could have been some pics that I could transfer over here to allow people easier access. Now everything suggested in the plan may not be carried out but from what I can tell Fayetteville seems to be trying to follow most of what is mentioned. Some things have already been done since this plan was made. Some others are now in the process of being carried out, if not by the city then people who own certain spots. At one point there is a mention of the empty lot between Underwood's and where Qdoba is currently located. That is now being developed, although not quite in the same manner as it shows in the plan. Some of the big aspects that are mentioned offhand is the old Mountain Inn. I was a bit surprised there was no mention of it trying to be saved at all. I do know it was in bad condition and I'm not sure if it was in such bad condition to not even worth trying to save. But the Renaissance Tower is a nice development although it won't have the history the old building had. I was also pleased to see some ideas I had thought of were actually mentioned as well. I imagine most of it will be hard to follow because most of you won't be familiar enough with Fayetteville to make much sense of it. I hope to eventually take some pictures of areas so it might help other understand some of the areas being mentioned. Around 5 years ago they redesigned Dickson St. Making standard sidewalks everywhere, adding some vegetation, adding some decorative brickworkand adding old style lampposts. One thing that was also done was adding red brick crosswalks into the road surface. Also streets intersecting with Dickson have replaced the asphalt with beige brick. There was also a small 'island' with vegetation added in from of the post office. At the time much of this wasn't very popular by many of the shopowners. They had to shut down sections of the roads and it wasn't the greatest for business. But now I think people can be happy with the results. One of the things I wish they had done was make all of Dickson St brick instead of asphalt. Making the whole street distinctive and not just the intersections. I also wish I had some older pics to show the before and after in some of these areas. Later I hope to address certain aspects of the master plan with pictures also.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is even better than the site I found for the Downtown Master Plan.

So in depth, Fayetteville will truly have a nice downtown in the future.

Hopefully yes. Although much of this is based directly off of a study that was done. I'm not sure everything will be followed exactly as the study suggests. But they have really used it as a map for future development it seems. I've heard talk of roundabouts a while now but I'm not sure if everyone is very eager to have any here. But maybe in an area like College and Lafayette that isn't a major intersection could work.

That would be a nice asset to Fayetteville I think.

Rogers is supposed to be working on a downtown master plan. Not sure it will ever be done since it has taken them already a few years.

I'm sure it will, it just might take a little time. I know I keep saying that about Rogers and I know it can be hard to be patient. But I do think Rogers will start taking some bigger strides in the near future, once things really start rolling.

Yep that's good. Are they building new buildings in the downtown area or filling in old locations?

They are filling in old buildings, although talks have been in the works to fill in a few locations with new "older looking" buildings. I think as soon as all the space is filled, demand will allow for new buildings to develop additions ontop of existing buildings. I'm interested to see how our first multi-use project is going to work out. The Peachtree at the Lane is about 7 stories, and should set the stage for future downtown development.

I mentioned this in another topic but thought I'd mention it here too since it deals with the FDMP. I see two streets having lots of potential near Dickson and the Square that for now aren't necessarily big hot spots. West St and Block St. The Walton Art Center is one the corner of Dickson and West. The Fayetteville Public Library is also located on West although it's entrance is actually located on Mountain St. But I could see a museum moving in not too far south of the Walton Art Center. That would certainly make a nice centralized cultural area. Most of the art galleries have already been moved a little further south and across the street on West. There's a lot of space being taken up now by small offices that are converted houses and small parking lots. I'm hoping that if talk of an aquarium does actually come about that it could possibly locate somewhere in this area. Block St also has a lot of potential because it's what links Dickson St to the Square. There are some small businesses and offices. Nothing spectacular though, in fact many of these areas are a bit run down. But it would be great to have an area like Block St become an area with nicer retail and possibly some mixed-use developments adding more condos to the area. One of the few complaints I hear about Dickson is that it tends to be rather dominated by bars and restaurants and doesn't have enough retail. It might be nice to take care of this by putting in some developments on Block if not Dickson and allow some more retail. Some of this stemmed from the fact that for a while the Northwest Arkansas Mall did draw some retail away from Dickson in the past. I'll try to include some pics of these streets in the near future.

I mentioned this in another topic but thought I'd mention it here too since it deals with the FDMP. I see two streets having lots of potential near Dickson and the Square that for now aren't necessarily big hot spots. West St and Block St. The Walton Art Center is one the corner of Dickson and West. The Fayetteville Public Library is also located on West although it's entrance is actually located on Mountain St. But I could see a museum moving in not too far south of the Walton Art Center. That would certainly make a nice centralized cultural area. Most of the art galleries have already been moved a little further south and across the street on West. There's a lot of space being taken up now by small offices that are converted houses and small parking lots. I'm hoping that if talk of an aquarium does actually come about that it could possibly locate somewhere in this area. Block St also has a lot of potential because it's what links Dickson St to the Square. There are some small businesses and offices. Nothing spectacular though, in fact many of these areas are a bit run down. But it would be great to have an area like Block St become an area with nicer retail and possibly some mixed-use developments adding more condos to the area. One of the few complaints I hear about Dickson is that it tends to be rather dominated by bars and restaurants and doesn't have enough retail. It might be nice to take care of this by putting in some developments on Block if not Dickson and allow some more retail. Some of this stemmed from the fact that for a while the Northwest Arkansas Mall did draw some retail away from Dickson in the past. I'll try to include some pics of these streets in the near future.

An Aquarium and nice museum would be fabulous addtions to Downtown Fayetteville. Although the aquarium got turned down last time, I still think the potential is there for one. Along with a Planatarium, it would really give those areas a nice downtown urban feel.

An Aquarium and nice museum would be fabulous addtions to Downtown Fayetteville. Although the aquarium got turned down last time, I still think the potential is there for one. Along with a Planatarium, it would really give those areas a nice downtown urban feel.

Yes granted none of this might happen anytime soon. I think a museum would probably have the best shot right now but it still might not get around to being done for quite a while. But hopefully we can get something done and get a bit of a cultural district near our downtown area.

A wonder what kind of museum could go in?

May'be an Arkansas History, Science, Natural History, or Arkansans Culture.

I don't know if it would still go this route, but there was talk of making it an affiliate of the Smithsonian so that it would get some of it's traveling exhibits. I'm not sure if that was wishful thinking or a real possibility. For that matter if you could vote on what it was, what would you pick? A planetarium (although I haven't actually heard this mentioned outside this forum), an aquarium, or a museum?

I don't know if it would still go this route, but there was talk of making it an affiliate of the Smithsonian so that it would get some of it's traveling exhibits. I'm not sure if that was wishful thinking or a real possibility. For that matter if you could vote on what it was, what would you pick? A planetarium (although I haven't actually heard this mentioned outside this forum), an aquarium, or a museum?

Probably the museum.

Since it seems that would be the most supported.

Probably the museum.

Since it seems that would be the most supported.

As much as I like all of those ideas I think it also would be the one I would have to pick. If it was a Smithsonian affiliated museum it would be great because you'd get different exhibits. But hopefully all of these will become possibilities.

As much as I like all of those ideas I think it also would be the one I would have to pick. If it was a Smithsonian affiliated museum it would be great because you'd get different exhibits. But hopefully all of these will become possibilities.

Yeah, as good as an aquarium sounds, I think that a museum would work well. I wonder how big of an impact a smithsonian-like museum would have on the area. Probably something like the Walton Arts Center or what the Renaissance Tower is also going to do to Fayetteville.

Yeah, as good as an aquarium sounds, I think that a museum would work well. I wonder how big of an impact a smithsonian-like museum would have on the area. Probably something like the Walton Arts Center or what the Renaissance Tower is also going to do to Fayetteville.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to measure the exact effects it will have but it would certainly do much to improve the area. Of course a nature center would also be a great draw and help this area with tourism.

The Nature Center should come, and would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Yeah I think Governor Huckabee has done good things for the state but I hate the fact he left us out. He's been very good for the state but I wonder how he's been for our section of the state. can anyone think of any major contributions he's made to northwest Arkansas?

Not really any that stand out.

That's what I thought. While he has done a good job for the state as a whole and certainly for other areas of the state he hasn't done a whole lot for us here in northwest Arkansas. I know many people will say that this area is already nice and doesn't need as much focus as other areas of Arkansas having problems. But I do think future governors might have to focus more on northwest Arkansas as the population keeps growing. If northwest and central Arkansas banded together on something the rest of the state is basically out of luck.

That's what I thought. While he has done a good job for the state as a whole and certainly for other areas of the state he hasn't done a whole lot for us here in northwest Arkansas. I know many people will say that this area is already nice and doesn't need as much focus as other areas of Arkansas having problems. But I do think future governors might have to focus more on northwest Arkansas as the population keeps growing. If northwest and central Arkansas banded together on something the rest of the state is basically out of luck.

I agree.

This area seems to be the primary focus. If Arkansas wants to have things like Manufacturing Plants and such, large metropolitan growing areas must be the focus. I'm not excluding other areas of the state, I'm just saying that if we don't put focus on thoose large areas, than the state may be out of luck for future super projects.

I agree.

This area seems to be the primary focus. If Arkansas wants to have things like Manufacturing Plants and such, large metropolitan growing areas must be the focus. I'm not excluding other areas of the state, I'm just saying that if we don't put focus on thoose large areas, than the state may be out of luck for future super projects.

I read some of this in an article a while back ago. It was basically talking about other areas of the state not being overly fond of northwest Arkansas for whatever reasons. It also mentioned if it wanted more things done it could probably form a coalition with central Arkansas. An area that also has a large population and both areas probably have similar needs and problems. They are both large enough to form quite a political coalition over the less populated areas of the state. But while I would like more done for our part of the state I do realize other areas any need help and I don't want to give anyone the idea that I'm promoting northwest Arkansas trying to go against much of the rest of the state.

I read some of this in an article a while back ago. It was basically talking about other areas of the state not being overly fond of northwest Arkansas for whatever reasons. It also mentioned if it wanted more things done it could probably form a coalition with central Arkansas. An area that also has a large population and both areas probably have similar needs and problems. They are both large enough to form quite a political coalition over the less populated areas of the state. But while I would like more done for our part of the state I do realize other areas any need help and I don't want to give anyone the idea that I'm promoting northwest Arkansas trying to go against much of the rest of the state.

I wouldn't want to say that Northwest Arkansas is any better than any other part of the state. I support any development or growth that may be associated with Arkansas.

Archived