Miami/South Florida Trivia

KendallKid

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here was the exact quote: ''In Miami, the $1 billion subsidy helped build a system that serves less than 10,000 daily riders. That comes to $100,000 per passenger. It would have been a lot cheaper to buy everyone a limousine.''

The system was barely a year old. They should have kept it going. Let's hope we can put that all behind us.

Okay, here's an easy one:

Julia Tuttle is the "founding mother" of Miami. After the Great Freeze of 1894 left southern Florida unscathed, she convinced railroad tycoon Henry Flagler to extend his Florida East Coast railroad south from Palm Beach to the Miami River. The City was incorporated in 1896.

Miami is the only major city in the country whose creation was inspired by a woman. Today Interstate 195, which connects Miami and Miami Beach, is known as the Julia Tuttle Causeway.

Before the railroad, "Miami" was only accessible by boat.

Aesso mentioned starting it but i figure he works so much around here that id take the initiative.

When MetroRail was completed it was the single most expensive public transit project in U.S. history at 1 billion dollars.

Wow, i didnt know that!! :o

I got one,..

Besides the causeway, there is something else that was built and dedicated to Julia Tuttle in Miami,..

(hint: its a needle in a haystack, and if your not watching for it, it will disappear before your eyes)

I'm not certain what you're referring to exactly, but there is a Tuttle Street, which is the name assigned to NE 39th Street through the Miami Design District. Interestingly enough, there is a development going up around there with the same name.

There's also a school named after her somewhere, I think.

There is a needle similar, but much smaller than the Washington Monument in Biscayne Bay near the Venitian Causeway. Its on a small Island and when your driving down McAurthr Causeway you can see a glimps of it as you begin to cross the bridge in to Miami Beach just after Star Island.

Forgive me for intruding again, but...

Is Dade County the most populous county east of Illinois (and Cook County)?

That would be Kings County, New York, the county that comprises Brooklyn, at 2.5 million.

Dade is 2.3 million according to 2004 estimates, which does make it the most populous county in the Southeast. I'd have to check the stats to see where it ranks among the nation's counties.

That would be Kings County, New York, the county that comprises Brooklyn, at 2.5 million.

Dade is 2.3 million according to 2004 estimates, which does make it the most populous county in the Southeast. I'd have to check the stats to see where it ranks among the nation's counties.

8th or 7th, I believe.

The South Florida metropolitan area has 5 area codes.

• Miami-Dade County has 2 area codes: 305 and 786.

• Broward County has 2 as well: 954 and 754.

• Palm Beach County uses area code 561.

• The Florida Keys also lie within area codes 305 and 786.

• 786 and 754 are "overlay" area codes, meaning they lie within the same geographic area as their parent area code.

• Ten-digit dialing is required for all telephone calls in Dade and Broward, meaning the area code must be dialed regardless of whether the call is local or long distance.

• Based on the letters on the telephone keypad, the number 786 spells the word "SUN".

• Area code 305 was Florida's first assigned area code, and once encompassed the entire state.

Miami actually had an original ABA Team.

Before Wade or Shaq ,..

Before Hardaway or Morning,..

The Miami Floridians (1968-1972)

Although I'm not sure where they played, they didn't have a following like the Dolphins but were sort of successfull going to the playoffs 3 of the 4 years in exsistance. Team colors started as Red, White and Blue then later changed to Black, Orange, and Magenta. They beat the Minnesota Pippers in the divisional championship game, but then lost to the Indiana Pacers in the confr finals in 1969.

Miami actually had an original ABA Team.

Before Wade or Shaq ,..

Before Hardaway or Morning,..

The Miami Floridians (1968-1972)

Although I'm not sure where they played, they didn't have a following like the Dolphins but were sort of successfull going to the playoffs 3 of the 4 years in exsistance. Team colors started as Red, White and Blue then later changed to Black, Orange, and Magenta. They beat the Minnesota Pippers in the divisional championship game, but then lost to the Indiana Pacers in the confr finals in 1969.

Incredible i didnt know this.

Miami is home to MTV Latin America which films in its studios on Miami Beach

The needle in the bay is actually the Henry Flagler monument.

http://www.miamibeachfl.gov/newcity/depts/...er_monument.asp

The Port of Miami (POM) is the busiest cruise ship port in the world, with 3 million passengers a year and growing. Port Everglades claims to be 2nd.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/print...atID=0017010005

The Miami River alone is the 5th (I've also seen 4th) largest port in the State of Florida serving many smaller ships that service the Caribbean and Central America.

http://www.miamirivercommission.com

The needle in the bay is actually the Henry Flagler monument.

http://www.miamibeachfl.gov/newcity/depts/...er_monument.asp

The Port of Miami (POM) is the busiest cruise ship port in the world, with 3 million passengers a year and growing. Port Everglades claims to be 2nd.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/print...atID=0017010005

The Miami River alone is the 5th (I've also seen 4th) largest port in the State of Florida serving many smaller ships that service the Caribbean and Central America.

http://www.miamirivercommission.com

Miami River is home to one of the largest bike theft rings in the country. if u were a kid and your bike got stolen chances are it sits on a ship bound for Haiti. :rofl:

The Miami River is home to all kinds of unsavory products. They've cracked down on it quite a bit, but we still hear stories of major drug busts happening there. It's really funny to see the small ships leave the river loaded with bikes, washing machines, mattresses... whatever they can fit on it.

Archived