Sidney Poitier

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001627/

Trick Daddy

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1401905/

Wilmer Valderrama

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005519/

Steve Spurrier

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1782328/

As was Debby Harry (aka Blondie). Born in Miami in 1945.

-Actor Andy Garcia (Ocean's 11...etc): born in Cuba but raised in Miami, went to Miami Beach High

-Actor William H Macy (Boogie Nights, Cooler...etc): born in Miami in 1950

-Actress Victoria Jackson (SNL, UHF): born in Miami in 1959

-Marilyn Manson (aka Brian Warner): born in Ohio but raised in Miami

-Rapper Vanilla Ice: born in Miami Lakes in 1968.

-Janet Reno: born in Miami in 1938

-former Baseball star Andre Dawson: born in Miami in 1954

-Other athletes from Miami: Steve Carlton, Alex Rodriguez, Jose Canseco, Rafael Palmiero, Tony Perez (after coming from Cuba), Willis McGahee, Brian Greise, Cincinatti Bengals WR Chad Johnson, Eddie Jones (Ft.Lauderdale), Michael Irvin (Ft.Lauderdale), Santana Moss...This could be a very long list.

Let me try!!!

Weren't the Golden Girls from Miami! I love them, especially Rose!

Indeed! All of the Golden Girls did reside in Miami. Their next door niegbor Dr. Weston had his own spin off entitled "Empty Nest" which had its own spin off entitled "Nurses". The last show is set in Mercy Hospital also in Miami. It seems in the 80's NBC was very Miami intesive. Of note is the fact that in a sweeps stunt, a hurricane was to hit Miami during all of these shows in one night. During all these shows you had weather updates from a Real Local weather man named Brian Norcross of NBC6(at the time NBC4). Ironically enough he was the same weather man who most accurately predicted Hurricane Andrew's path 2 years later. Also ironic is that the house that is used for the external shots of the golden girls is actually not in Miami it is in Orlando at MGM sutdios. It sits next to Dr. Westons house.

Also ironic is that the house that is used for the external shots of the golden girls is actually not in Miami it is in Orlando at MGM sutdios. It sits next to Dr. Westons house.

Ahh that stinks! What a way to take all of the air out of my balloon. Why couldn't they film the outside of an actual Miami home?

Ahh that stinks! What a way to take all of the air out of my balloon. Why couldn't they film the outside of an actual Miami home?

Sometimes, they can't find a good house (one that fits their specifications), the owners won't let them film the house (the owners of the first house use for outside shots on Mary Tyler Moore got so tired of tourists that they put an "Impeach Nixon" sign in their front yard to scare the camera crews away, hence Mary Richards' move in the later seasons), it's cheaper to film somewhere else, or perhaps the creators have something else in mind (the house used in Designing Women was in Arkansas, go figure).

Very complicated thing, TV is. It would have been nice to have the Golden Girls house actually in Miami, though.

Sometimes, they can't find a good house (one that fits their specifications), the owners won't let them film the house (the owners of the first house use for outside shots on Mary Tyler Moore got so tired of tourists that they put an "Impeach Nixon" sign in their front yard to scare the camera crews away, hence Mary Richards' move in the later seasons), it's cheaper to film somewhere else, or perhaps the creators have something else in mind (the house used in Designing Women was in Arkansas, go figure).

Very complicated thing, TV is. It would have been nice to have the Golden Girls house actually in Miami, though.

I will say though, however that the houses do look like alot of the houses in Coconut grove.

Another piece of trivia.... During the Cuban Missle crisis the government brought into Miami surface to air missles. It has also been rumored that on the corner of kendall drive and 127th (near best buy)there used to be a store house for Nuclear missles after the crisis, Reporters have often tried to gain access to the area which at the time was blocked by a 10 foot man made hill surronding the complex and a barbed wire fence. The reporters where constantly turned away and the county insisted that the area was just water pumping stations. Since then the barriers have come down to reveal a large rocky field and water pumping stations. It makes one wonder. Additionally, Homestead airforce base had a large restricted heavely guarded area where nuclear weapons were supposedly kept. BRING IT ON U.S.S.R.! :thumbsup:

As much as I LOVE the Girls :D, let's face it, the representation of Miami was pretty awful. Everyone was old, everyone was white. Come on! Now if the Girls were set in Fort Lauderdale or somewhere else in Broward, I could believe it. But not Miami!

Blanche, little oversexed, vain Blanche, sounds like she could have been from the Panhandle :P

I wasn't here at the time, but I seriously doubt South Beach was the poorest, not matter what condition it was in. This is Miami after all, one of the poorest in the nation. It certainly was a big swing.

I came across a bit that has yet to be verified.

The first photo-finish device was used at Hialeah Race Track.

A little known fact: Miami is home to the largest known Banyan Tree at over 80 feet tall located in Old Cutler Hammock.

OOOH thats good trivia.

A little off topic but still some good food for thought, England is roughly the same length as Florida(excluding the panhandle) and his home to over 111 million people roughly half the population of the u.s. and yet they still have farms and arible land. SMART GROWTH AT ITS FINEST!

As much as I LOVE the Girls :D, let's face it, the representation of Miami was pretty awful. Everyone was old, everyone was white. Come on! Now if the Girls were set in Fort Lauderdale or somewhere else in Broward, I could believe it. But not Miami!

Blanche, little oversexed, vain Blanche, sounds like she could have been from the Panhandle :P

To the person who said that the Golden Girls would have been a better fit in Broward... You've got to be kidding! I don't know when the last time you were in Broward was, but this is a community of over 1.7 million in a county with a land mass less than half of that of Dade county. Also, if you check with the US Census, Broward county rates HIGHER on the diversity scale than Miami-Dade county. And BTW I can imagine the Golden Girls playing out quite nicely in Aventura! HAHAHAHA!

Over all I agree that the series doesn't depict with much accuracy life in Miami-Dade county... But it certianly isn't Broward either. But what shows do depict South Florida accurately? They either make it all look like a nursing home, or it all looks like Boca Raton. People don't want to see that what they picture as paradise (Miami and the south Florida area) is really mostly a lot of underpaid people living in houses with bars on the windows.

To the person who said that the Golden Girls would have been a better fit in Broward... You've got to be kidding! I don't know when the last time you were in Broward was, but this is a community of over 1.7 million in a county with a land mass less than half of that of Dade county. Also, if you check with the US Census, Broward county rates HIGHER on the diversity scale than Miami-Dade county. And BTW I can imagine the Golden Girls playing out quite nicely in Aventura! HAHAHAHA!

Over all I agree that the series doesn't depict with much accuracy life in Miami-Dade county... But it certianly isn't Broward either. But what shows do depict South Florida accurately? They either make it all look like a nursing home, or it all looks like Boca Raton. People don't want to see that what they picture as paradise (Miami and the south Florida area) is really mostly a lot of underpaid people living in houses with bars on the windows.

Oh lord forum hijacker. Yes when you are referring to land mass what you say is true however we have something called the Everglades in Miami-Dade we cant build past, where as Broward's line of development extends farther west. And i can certainly see that show playing out in cemetary(century) village, Hollywood Beach, Hallendale,Tamarac,Dania Beach, and Coral Springs. Yes the western Suburbs in Broward are mostly young people, thats true, and yes that show would be better suited in Boca. However I would like to see those diversity figures you were reffering too. And i might add it is a very Broward thing to think evryone in Miami-Dade has bars on there home. I can assure no one in my nieghborhood does. In fact its mostly located in westchester and Hialeah. While I agree with you that shows do a bad job showing Miami. It is not all bars on windows. Certainly the beach area and even aventura as you mentioned are very pretty glamourous beautiful areas.

Archived