Miami/South Florida Trivia

KendallKid

Oh lord forum hijacker. Yes when you are referring to land mass what you say is true however we have something called the Everglades in Miami-Dade we cant build past, where as Broward's line of development extends farther west. And i can certainly see that show playing out in cemetary(century) village, Hollywood Beach, Hallendale,Tamarac,Dania Beach, and Coral Springs. Yes the western Suburbs in Broward are mostly young people, thats true, and yes that show would be better suited in Boca. However I would like to see those diversity figures you were reffering too. And i might add it is a very Broward thing to think evryone in Miami-Dade has bars on there home. I can assure no one in my nieghborhood does. In fact its mostly located in westchester and Hialeah. While I agree with you that shows do a bad job showing Miami. It is not all bars on windows. Certainly the beach area and even aventura as you mentioned are very pretty glamourous beautiful areas.

Most Broward residents opinions of Miami-Dade come from what they see in North Miami-Dade (what it closest to them) in areas like Miami Gardens, Opa-Locka, Carol City...etc. I think we put the worst areas of Miami at the northern end to scare broward residents away.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most Broward residents opinions of Miami-Dade come from what they see in North Miami-Dade (what it closest to them) in areas like Miami Gardens, Opa-Locka, Carol City...etc. I think we put the worst areas of Miami at the northern end to scare broward residents away.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Dave man everytime you touch a forum its comedic gold. I lost it on the scare broward residents away. Aside from that what you say makes perfect sense. Love reading your posts and look forward to many more. :thumbsup:

Oh lord forum hijacker. Yes when you are referring to land mass what you say is true however we have something called the Everglades in Miami-Dade we cant build past, where as Broward's line of development extends farther west. And i can certainly see that show playing out in cemetary(century) village, Hollywood Beach, Hallendale,Tamarac,Dania Beach, and Coral Springs. Yes the western Suburbs in Broward are mostly young people, thats true, and yes that show would be better suited in Boca. However I would like to see those diversity figures you were reffering too. And i might add it is a very Broward thing to think evryone in Miami-Dade has bars on there home. I can assure no one in my nieghborhood does. In fact its mostly located in westchester and Hialeah. While I agree with you that shows do a bad job showing Miami. It is not all bars on windows. Certainly the beach area and even aventura as you mentioned are very pretty glamourous beautiful areas.

The bars on the windows comment was meant to be sarcastic. There are quite a few bars on the windows in Fort Lauderdale too. As far as the diversity numbers are concerned, you can go here http://broward.org/planningservices/bbtn18.pdf it is on the first page. You see, Miami-Dade actually has a large majority of Hispanics, whereas Broward has no clear majority, therefore making it more diverse. Broward rates a 2.467 on the diversity index, Miami-Dade rates a 2.454.... Close, but Broward actually IS more diverse. And as far as the other poster's comments about people from Broward being afraid of Dade county... that seems a bit strange. I do a lot of work in Coral Gables, and the only thing that scares me about the Miracle Mile is the prices! :lol:

Just one more comment. You seemed to go out of your way to say how there are so many nice areas in Miami-Dade... this is true, but the fact remains that the county as a whole is very poor, one of the poorest. Broward is much more solidly middle class. Sadly, part of the reason that there isn't more of a middle class in Dade, is because once people there reach the middle class, they move to Broward! :rofl::rofl: I read an article in the Miami Herald about that very trend a few weeks ago that shows that Broward Haitians are much more wealthy than their Miami counterparts... The reason: when they get wealth they move out! I guess Broward has just got it going on! HAHAHAHA! :lol:

The bars on the windows comment was meant to be sarcastic. There are quite a few bars on the windows in Fort Lauderdale too. As far as the diversity numbers are concerned, you can go here http://broward.org/planningservices/bbtn18.pdf it is on the first page. You see, Miami-Dade actually has a large majority of Hispanics, whereas Broward has no clear majority, therefore making it more diverse. Broward rates a 2.467 on the diversity index, Miami-Dade rates a 2.454.... Close, but Broward actually IS more diverse. And as far as the other poster's comments about people from Broward being afraid of Dade county... that seems a bit strange. I do a lot of work in Coral Gables, and the only thing that scares me about the Miracle Mile is the prices! :lol:

Just one more comment. You seemed to go out of your way to say how there are so many nice areas in Miami-Dade... this is true, but the fact remains that the county as a whole is very poor, one of the poorest. Broward is much more solidly middle class. Sadly, part of the reason that there isn't more of a middle class in Dade, is because once people there reach the middle class, they move to Broward! :rofl::rofl: I read an article in the Miami Herald about that very trend a few weeks ago that shows that Broward Haitians are much more wealthy than their Miami counterparts... The reason: when they get wealth they move out! I guess Broward has just got it going on! HAHAHAHA! :lol:

The diversity thing is very interesting. The city of Miami is quite poor but the rest of us are just fine thanks.

• 1 month later...

Miami actually had an original ABA Team.

Before Wade or Shaq ,..

Before Hardaway or Morning,..

The Miami Floridians (1968-1972)

Although I'm not sure where they played, they didn't have a following like the Dolphins but were sort of successfull going to the playoffs 3 of the 4 years in exsistance. Team colors started as Red, White and Blue then later changed to Black, Orange, and Magenta. They beat the Minnesota Pippers in the divisional championship game, but then lost to the Indiana Pacers in the confr finals in 1969.

By the way last week somethime, the Miami Heat wore those throw back Miami Floridian Jerseys,.

I think they're tight! they ought to where them more often.

wade.jpg

By the way last week somethime, the Miami Heat wore those throw back Miami Floridian Jerseys,.

I think they're tight! they ought to where them more often.

Yeah! Great game. The Miami Floridians of the ABA were the first professional sports team in the US to have female dancers! The Miami Ball Girls.

By the way, EXCELLENT thread!

• 1 month later...

2 of Miami's Representatives in Congress are first cousins of Fidel Castro's first born son, Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart.

The representatives from the 21st and 25th districts, Mario and Lincoln Diaz-Balart are former nephews by marriage to Fidel Castro who married thier aunt Mirta Diaz-Balart on October 12, 1948.

Fidel and Mirta honeymooned in Miami. They had a son named Fidelito Castro Diaz-Balart born in 1949 who is a first cousin of Lincoln and Mario

Wasn't their brother Jose, I think, one of the anchors at either channel 4 or 6 or 10? I can't remember which station now. Didn't he go over to Telemundo or Univision to be an anchor now?

Good trivia danica! I knew the Diaz-Balarat people were related to Fidel, I was just not sure how.

• 1 month later...

Miami Beach House Boat Trivia!

TV series in 1960 -62 ..........Surfside 6, staring Troy Donahue: It was a Detective agency based in a house boat across the street from the Fountainbleu Hotel. Really cool for the early sixties.

Movie in 1967 ......Tony Rome starring Frank Sinatra as a Miami Beach PI...lived and worked outta a HOUSE BOAT in Miami Beach.....lotta knuckle sandwiches not much crooning by Old Blue Eyes. He co-starred with Jill St. John. Miami Beach was the winter entertainment center of the east coast and frank wanted to work and shoot in Miami.

Alleged Versace Killer in 1997...... Fugutive Andrew Cunanan killed himself in a house boat on Miami Beach after a brief and intensive manhunt

Another fun fact:

Ever wonder why there are sooo many restaurants down here? A recent ZAGAT survery found South Floridians eat out more often that any other region in the country. We eat out on average about 4 times a week!!! 3.8 times a week to be exact. LA comes in at 3.7 times a week, 3.6 for Las Vegas, 3.4 for NYC.

• 1 month later...

Ahh that stinks! What a way to take all of the air out of my balloon. Why couldn't they film the outside of an actual Miami home?

Actually, I think that they simply recreated the Golden Girls house at MGM Studios and tell you that on the tour. I believe the series started (1985) before MGM was built (1989).

So that means the original house is either really in Miami or probably in California.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived