Moving from the 'burbs to in-town

wisemesw

I've had it with the traffic -- we would like to move in from Lawrenceville to the Sandy Springs area. The only problem is, I can't seem to find a good public middle school for my daughter -- based on the test scores and discipline reports. And the private schools are around $14,000 a year. All the "revitalization" going on in-town is fine. There's plenty of shopping, entertainment, etc., but what about us people with kids? Does anyone know anything about Ridgeview Middle and Riverwood High? Or Sandy Springs Middle and North Springs High? Thanks for any info.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wisemesw, the test scores are misleading - Sandy Springs is predominately a high income suburb (I wouldn't call it 'intown'). The reason the test scores are lower is because there is a line of lower income residents along Roswell Rd.

I don't think there is any revitilization in Sandy Springs, because there is nothing to revitilize, it was mostly built in the 1960's through 1980's. There have since been additional developments, as well as infill - similar to Buckhead.

Now - I am simply being honest with you & I am willing to help you out. Sandy Springs is just another suburb, just a little closer to Atlanta & more importantly close to a number of major employment edge cities - Perimeter, Alpharetta, Cumberland & Buckhead. I am not aware of any concerns you should have with it regarding being family oriented - Sandy Springs is still a functioning suburb.

I think Sandy Springs is a good place to be. It's more "intown" than Lawrenceville but still solidly suburban. I've had a number of friends and co-workers who sent their kids to Ridgeview and Riverwood. They all did great and wound up going to good colleges and post-grad programs. I would think those schools are easily on a par with similar suburban schools in other counties.

This ranking rates Ridgeview no. 31 out of 421 Georgia middle schools, ahead of many in Cobb and Gwinnett. They rate Riverwood as 34 of 340 high schools, again ahead of many in some of the further out areas.

The AJC has metro area school ratings, too.

I'm glad that Andrea included data for Wiseman to digest.

I also agree that the Riverwood and North Springs district are relatively good school districts.

I graduated from North Springs....

(Song to "Are you from Dixie")

Are you a Spartan, are you a Spartan, the brave and mighty defenders of our name,

Are you a Spartan, are you a Spartan, the bravest in the land.

We will go, we will fight we will win tonight,

Victory, victory, victory, victory is on our side,

Goooooooooo Spartans!

Sorry, I was having a cheer flashback...

Although North Springs is not what it used to be, I would consider it to still be a very good school. If I was to move closer to the city though, I would choose the Riverwood district. Riverwood is the International Studies Magnet School and North Springs is the math/science magnet school. If you are trying to move to Sandy Springs as close to in town as possible, I would consider zip code 30342. It's closer to the middle school. There are parts of it in the Atlanta pub school districts and parts in Ful Co school district. Zip 30342 is in the Peachtree Dunwoody area. This is just north of Buckhead and west of Brookhaven. It has access to the Medical Center Marta Station. The other "close-in" zip in this school district is 30327. Sandy Springs will soon encompass a large area. Once you get into zip 30350, you are not as close in as you think. You will still have to take GA 400.

Good luck with your search.

I'm a bit confused by the term in-town here and how it applies to Sandy Springs. I was considering moving back to Atlanta this past spring, and having a son who was about to enter Kindergarten, I was on a similar quest to find a single-family home in an relatively urban neighborhood, with good schools.

I came up with two areas that seemed to satisfy this......the North Virginia Highlands area, and the Colliers Road area (though this is debatably pretty suburban as well).

Obviously other factors such as where your job is, and proximity to amenities that your family will use regularly, should be important as well, but moving to Sandy Springs and assuming that it is city living would be pretty rash. It may be a bit closer to your job and upscale shopping, but it offers little else beyond Lawrenceville.

I'm a bit confused by the term in-town here and how it applies to Sandy Springs. I was considering moving back to Atlanta this past spring, and having a son who was about to enter Kindergarten, I was on a similar quest to find a single-family home in an relatively urban neighborhood, with good schools.

I think it refers to the fact that Sandy Springs is geographically closer to Atlanta and the fact that many areas ITP are considered "in-town for some. :)

I'm glad that Andrea included data for Wiseman to digest.

I also agree that the Riverwood and North Springs district are relatively good school districts.

I graduated from North Springs....

(Song to "Are you from Dixie")

Are you a Spartan, are you a Spartan, the brave and mighty defenders of our name,

We will go, we will fight we will win tonight,

Victory, victory, victory, victory is on our side,

Goooooooooo Spartans!

Sounds like a good school to me. :shades:

Archived