Triad Bi-Lo Stores

DigitalSky

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand though, they have their own brand of things. (so I guess that would be different from bilo) My question is, do they have a "shopping saving card" program...and does this mean signing up for YET ANOTHER store savings card like Bilo had, Food lion has, harris teeter has...etc etc...? While the Bilo sign was "cooler", I dont think this one is totally out of place-just different IMO.

and I just saw this smilie, and want to use it...LOL

:yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at some of the packaging in the stores, you can still see the Bi-Lo logo on em. Kinda funny how they just took down the signs and changed the name, and that's about it. They look no different inside than when they were Bi-Lo.

• 1 month later...

It will be interesting how "big" of a player "Southern Family Markets" becomes in the triad and elsewhere. With their parent being originally from outside the region, they have a hard road ahead, especially since NC has one of the highest rates of grocery square footage per capita in the country (can I hear someone say "WE ARE OVER-STORED??") These stores will be run more like independant grocers with limited advertising since they are not heavily seeded in the area markets. I doubt they will be as successful as the former BI-LO's.

and their signage is "ULTRA" TACKY!! :sick:

Actually, Southern Family Markets is running its stores out of the old Bruno's Supermarkets offices in Birmingham, AL. After Bi-Lo merged with Bruno's at the end of 2004, they came in and closed a lot of Bruno's stores and fired many employees. Bruno's employees had to go through retraining exercises to become familiar with the Bi-Lo format. I work at a Bi-Lo/Bruno's owned Food Max store in Alabama. Since Bi-Lo came in and raised the prices through the roof, our business has decreased drastically. As for the Bruno's employees who lost their jobs, Southern Family Markets stepped in and reopened some of the stores and rehired the employees. As a result, Southern Family Markets is running somewhat like the formally Alabama-owned Bruno's, which was Alabama's # 1 grocery retailer for about 25 years.

They don't have a website, do they? Not very corporate, is that?

No website yet. Reports say that right now they are focusing on just getting the stores open and running. They say that remodels will follow. Grand Union Family Markets, which is also operated by C&S Wholesale Grocers (www.cswg.com), has a website (www.gufamilymarkets.com). SFM will probably get one in the future.

I still secretly hope Kroger or Publix takes over them

Most of these stores still do what they need to do for the area in which they are located. However, some of the Bruno's stores, especially the Food World and Food Max stores, were built in the 1970s and are no longer the most efficient. They barely qualify to be Kroger material, much less Publix.

• 3 months later...

Archived