Downtown LR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I would be able to do a good job at estimating that. I'm just wondering if all these condos will help reverse the trend of stagnant or declining population for Pulaski County and Little Rock instead of everyone moving to the suburbs.

With a TON of new projects being announced, I was just going to see what you would estimate the population of the LR/NLR downtown area after the projects are completed.

There is some serious density developing slowly but surely...

Here is an estimate of population increase for the downtown LR/NLR area.

Projects under construction:

300 Third(LR) condo units. 98

The Enclave(NLR) apartments. 260

Projects set to begin next month:

Phase I Lafayette Square(LR) condo. 30

The Residences at Building 5(LR) condo. 12

Projects set for next year:

Phase II Lafayette Square(LR) condo. 64

Rainwater Building & Caroline Building (LR) condo. 10

Unnamed Project (NRL) condo. 8

Projects announced no date:

Lighthouse Point (LR) apartments 220

WMCA (LR) condo.

Argenta Place (NLR) condo. 28

Unnamed Project(NLR) Phase II condo. 8

Marinas North(NRL) condo. 72

The total units announced condo/apartments is 810.

If you figure that at least 1.5 people will live in each unit you have a total of 1215.

Seeing Skirby's response made me think of something. I am curious are there typically many single people in Little Rock? Or if they are married do they have any kids? Maybe it's just me but there seems to be quite a few people in northwest Arkansas who are married and have kids. I'd associate people who aren't married to be more likely people in college. I've also noticed that people seem to have larger families than the average up here. And I'm not talking about the stereotype of certain minorities. I've seen many white couples with more than two children. I know this doesn't apply everywhere in northwest Arkansas but I think it's certainly higher than the national average. I was just curious how this applies to other areas in the state like Little Rock.

Seeing Skirby's response made me think of something. I am curious are there typically many single people in Little Rock? Or if they are married do they have any kids? Maybe it's just me but there seems to be quite a few people in northwest Arkansas who are married and have kids. I'd associate people who aren't married to be more likely people in college. I've also noticed that people seem to have larger families than the average up here. And I'm not talking about the stereotype of certain minorities. I've seen many white couples with more than two children. I know this doesn't apply everywhere in northwest Arkansas but I think it's certainly higher than the national average. I was just curious how this applies to other areas in the state like Little Rock.

There's a lot of people up here Mith in Benton County that are single, may'be not as much as Little Rock and Fayetteville, but there's more than a lot of people think. Most people think Benton County as being full of families with kids, but a younger crowd is appearing more and more around here. I am sure the same is being felt in Little Rock.

The reason I based my response on 1.5 is that people moving to downtown LR are single, married without children or empty nesters. If they have children and want to live near downtown they buy a house in the Quapaw Quater or the Heights. To answer your question about the size of families in LR there are not too many trying to keep up with the Duggers. Also, remember students at UALR are older than the UofA population and alot of them are married.

The reason I based my response on 1.5 is that people moving to downtown LR are single, married without children or empty nesters. If they have children and want to live near downtown they buy a house in the Quapaw Quater or the Heights. To answer your question about the size of families in LR there are not too many trying to keep up with the Duggers. Also, remember students at UALR are older than the UofA population and alot of them are married.

Yeah I'm not trying to suggest everyone is like the Duggers up here. But I have seen quite a few couples who have more than two kids. And I do see some on a regular basis that have 4 to 6. It just seemed like for a long time you didn't see very big families around anymore.

Yeah I'm not trying to suggest everyone is like the Duggers up here. But I have seen quite a few couples who have more than two kids. And I do see some on a regular basis that have 4 to 6. It just seemed like for a long time you didn't see very big families around anymore.

He's right. The kind of people that live downtown in a major or even mid-major city tend to be single or childless couples that are on the younger side. 1.5 is a reasonable estimate. People with kids like yards and single family housing much more than loft apts and condos with elevators and tons of street traffic which aren't very family-friendly. That would probably be true of people living on Dickson as well though Fayetteville doesn't quite have the same downtown phenomenon.

He's right. The kind of people that live downtown in a major or even mid-major city tend to be single or childless couples that are on the younger side. 1.5 is a reasonable estimate. People with kids like yards and single family housing much more than loft apts and condos with elevators and tons of street traffic which aren't very family-friendly. That would probably be true of people living on Dickson as well though Fayetteville doesn't quite have the same downtown phenomenon.

That's true, I guess I hadn't thought much about it. But people with families would be more likely to have a yard.

Estimated daytime population for the city of Little Rock. This is arrived by adjusting the total resident population by the number of incommuters and outcommuters to the place.

Little Rock daytime population: 249,028 incommuters 65,895

NRL daytime population: 70,131 incommuters 9,700

Total LR/NRL 319,159

Ft. Smith is the number two in the state with a daytime population of 108,834.

NRL was third, followed by Fayetteville, Jonesboro, and Pine Bluff.

• 1 year later...

For several years, the website http://www.downtownlittlerock.com languished with no updates. That has changed. It now holds the electronic version of the Arkansas Times issue that came out, last November, focusing on downtown development. Nothing fancy, but at least this valuable piece of internet real estate has been brought into the modern era. Let

For several years, the website http://www.downtownlittlerock.com languished with no updates. That has changed. It now holds the electronic version of the Arkansas Times issue that came out, last November, focusing on downtown development. Nothing fancy, but at least this valuable piece of internet real estate has been brought into the modern era. Let

• 2 months later...
interesting article (not yet available on the web) in May 2007 edition of Inviting Arkansas title Mr. Green Jeans. It is about 3 eco friendly houses being built on Rock St in downtown LR.

There is also an article about the LR Film Festival.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to see signage throughout downtown with arrows pointing to the River Market, Clinton Library, Alltel Arena, Dickey-Stephens, the Arkansas Arts Center, Convention Center and Main Street Argenta. A nice color-coded scheme would be helpful. Downtown Dallas and Ft Worth do a nice job of this.

Does anyone else think that a simple, color-coded sign system with arrows pointing to major destinations like the Clinton Library, River Market, Convention Center, Alltel Arena, State Capitol, Robinson Auditorium and Dickey-Stephens Park is a good idea? I think it would really help people find their way around. Optionally, the Old Statehouse, Union Station, Historic Arkansas Museum, Arkansas Arts Center, Main Street Argenta, and/or Museum of Discovery could be included.

Does anyone else think that a simple, color-coded sign system with arrows pointing to major destinations like the Clinton Library, River Market, Convention Center, Alltel Arena, State Capitol, Robinson Auditorium and Dickey-Stephens Park is a good idea? I think it would really help people find their way around. Optionally, the Old Statehouse, Union Station, Historic Arkansas Museum, Arkansas Arts Center, Main Street Argenta, and/or Museum of Discovery could be included.

Archived