Boston

Scott

Pahked the cah and walked down Hanover Ave towards Hanover Street.

bigdig0061.jpg

Hanover Street, the heart of the North End. It was crappy out so it looks a little gloomy.

bigdig0063.jpg

Down at the corner of Cross Street is the soon to be demolished elevated Central Artery tearing thru the old city.

bigdig0064.jpg

bigdig0065.jpg

Pedestrian Tunnel past all the big dig construction.

bigdig0066.jpg

bigdig0067.jpg

Blackstone and Hanover Street on the other side of the artery.

bigdig0068.jpg

bigdig0069.jpg

bigdig0072.jpg

bigdig0073.jpg

bigdig0074.jpg

bigdig0075.jpg

bigdig0076.jpg

bigdig0079.jpg

bigdig0085.jpg

bigdig0086.jpg

bigdig0087.jpg

bigdig0090.jpg

bigdig0091.jpg

bigdig0092.jpg

bigdig0093.jpg

bigdig0098.jpg

bigdig0100.jpg

bigdig0107.jpg

The granite stairs up Copps Hill

bigdig0110.jpg

bigdig0112.jpg

The 1723 Old North Church "It was from the steeple of the Old North Church that the two lanterns closely associated with Paul Revere were hung by Robert Newman, Church sexton, on April 18, 1775, igniting the War for Independence and leading to the birth of our Nation."

bigdig0116.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics Scott. Boston is the only major Northeastern city that I have not visited as of yet. But its definately on my list to visit. I've heard nothing, but great things about that city and its surroundings. Manchester is another place I would like to visit since I was always interested in manufacturing as a child.

Thanks guys!

Lakelander, New England actually has many Industrial Revolution manufacturing centers that are pretty much intact like Manchester, Lowell, Lawrence, Gardner, Lower Mills (Dorchester) et al.... but there are actually hundreds!

You can see 19th century factories in my pictures or Gardner, Lowell and Nashua in the "New England Photos" section. A link to which is above!

The area around the Central Artery is some of the most expensive real estate in the city. Some homes in the North End were in disrepair or unwanted because their windows were just a few feet away from 24 hours of noize and pollution, these same buildings are now... priceless.

btw-About 25% of the land created will be developed and of that the lions share will be residential. What a fantastic place to live!!!

I went into work this morning and the cover of the Boston Globe showed the first giant section of the artery near Quincy Market was removed yesterday shining light on those sidewalks for the first time in 50 years. It's just f-ing amazing!!

What is also amazing is that Boston's reputation has survived the Big Dig. People usually have nothing but wonderful things to say when they are exposed to the city, but to look at these pictures and to see how much of the city has been torn asunder by this project... it's dumbfounding. How can such a big piece of downtown be in such chaos and disarray, yet so many people still hold such a high opinion of the city? Must be a great town! ;)

Cotuit, I know you do already, but go to SSC or SSP for some reality checks. There you will find that Boston has hardly any tall buildings, few if any art Deco buildings, has lots of surface parking lots, its skyline is over 30 years old, etc. I read each of these statements in the past 2 weeks. It also has only 197 builidings or some such number. LOL

Cotuit, I know you do already, but go to SSC or SSP for some reality checks. There you will find that Boston has hardly any tall buildings, few if any art Deco buildings...

Oh sure, but those are mostly the Chicago and Toronto nut jobs. Unfailingly, in photo threads, Boston is praised up and down.

Archived