Foliage!

Jacob Norlund - KC

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those pictures are looking good. Fall hasn't officially taken hold in my region yet - its about 80 degrees here now. Its supposed to be more of the same tomorrow - a far cry from autumn.

Yes, it's been an uncharacteristically warm October here too. Around 75 today, and it's been around the 70's all month. But the leaves are on a schedule all their own.

Thanks for the pics, everyone. It's nice to see beautiful shots of midwest colors. Central Illinois is mostly cornfields and soybean fields, but the streets of the city of Champaign are lined with mature maples, oaks, sweetgums, and blackgums. We are seeing more oranges, yellows, and reds every day, but peak colors are 2-3 weeks away.

86, in October? :sick::P I found this site for fall foliage in NC:

http://www.visitnc.com/experience_nc.asp

Is it mainly in the mountain region?

^^Well, Western NC is all mountains if that is what you're asking :D (it's really beautiful) But the mountains are about a 2 hour drive from Charlotte, so they have no effect on the temperature here..... yeah, 86 in october.....

^^Well, Western NC is all mountains if that is what you're asking :D (it's really beautiful) But the mountains are about a 2 hour drive from Charlotte, so they have no effect on the temperature here..... yeah, 86 in october.....

Sorry for my confusing post. I meant, do the trees only change color in the Mountain region? It appears from the website that there is Fall foliage all over NC.

Sorry for my confusing post. I meant, do the trees only change color in the Mountain region? It appears from the website that there is Fall foliage all over NC.

^^Um.... that's a good question. I would say it ends a little west of Charlotte. Trees just die here, they don't change colors. :cry: I'm probably wrong though...

This is from Tuesday, October 18th. Very late start to the color this year (and a bit dull due to all the recent rains). Usually around this time Northern CT is at peak or past peak.

Hartford21Oct2005small.jpg

Special Operations Command, SOCOM. Your getting more color than we are in DC. They are just turning brown and dropping. This is not the prettiest color year.

GRDadof3, Grand Rapids is prettier than I had imagined. I have been to Michigan, but I thought that it was all pancake flat like what I saw in Southern Michigan. It looks like you have a few hills or rolling plains. How is the antique store situation there? I would think that it would be very good with all the furniture that was made there in the past.

I really do like Fall. I love the color change and the crispness in the air.

Thanks Tennbear. Although I have only been to a few, I hear there are a lot of great antique dealers around West Michigan, and some of them are housed in the cool old furniture factories scattered around town. I did find a listing of 64 dealers here:

http://grandrapids.citysearch.com/yellowpa.../263/page1.html

Speaking of old furniture factories, got some more fall color pics from the vines on some of these old beauties:

0BF47E00424511DAB8FDC6EA18F73B1D.jpg

1070DE60424511DAB2531E4718F73B1D.jpg

12E62420424511DABE3CD68618F73B1D.jpg

0E53A3B0424511DAB654D3E118F73B1D.jpg

Yes, it's a lot hillier on the West side of the State, from the Indiana border all the way up to Petoskey and Harbor Springs.

Archived