The Bridge and Aquarium are Out, Cantor's In, and a New Mall

northernbizzkit1

Scanning today's Commercial Appeal, two articles caught my eye. One was saying that the proposal for converting the Pyramid into an aquarium has been withdrawn. I dunno, I don't really take this as bad news. To be honest, the aquarium deal never really hooked me. Of course, neither does turning it into a big Bass Pro-Shop and ammusement park. Me? I'd say get rid of the unused ramps coating the parking lot at the Pyramid and make a large mixed-use development. I'm talking another landmark building that would house condos and rival Signature, convert the Pyramid into a massive hotel and shopping destination, and make the whole area a major contribution to the North End. Think about it! We've seen the articles saying demand is on the rise for hotels downtown (well, so says the Memphis Business Journal) as well as more housing. Having a 700ft condo tower (I'd choose a Greek/Roman design to keep up with the whole ancient architecture theme) anchored next to the Grand Hyatt Pyramid Resort would do oodles of good for Memphis! I doubt the demand is quite there yet, but it's a dreamy idea! Anyway, the other article was how the land bridge idea for connecting downtown to Mud Island is out...hmmm...I kinda liked the land bridge idea. But, if my Pyramid proposal was accepted, I could do without it. On the Breaking News section of the MBJ today, I saw that Cantor Fitzgerald is opening an office in Memphis with 100 employees. Sounds good considering it is to be their largest office in the Southeast. Very cool. Finally, tomorrow is the day. Avenue Carriage Crossing opens in Collierville. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty interested to see how the development goes. I mean, the Parisian is the first of its kind for the whole chain, the shopping center is the first of its kind for the whole city and state, and there are many stores making their Memphis debut.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you not know that there is already a Parisian in Nashville out at Cool Springs? It's been there for quite a few years too. This chain has long since made its debut in TN. Just not in Memphis yet.

I know that, but I was referring to the town center design of the Avenue Carriage Crossing being the first of its kind in the state. Also, the Parisian is actually the first of its kind in the state, for it is a concept store that is larger than the normal design held by the chain for years and it has more designers and enhanced, open architecture. I just hadn't stated that the Parisian was the first in the state.

I read about the Aquarium withdrawel in the CA today too. Its not a bad idea, but I'm sure not it would be as big of a success as the proponets hoped. Getting someone who defiantely can pay for the building and make it an attraction is a much safer proposition for the city. Its going to remain an icon of the city no matter whats inside it.

Which leads to me to this line of thought. Will the city mandate that no branding be done on the outside of the Pyramid? I would hope that would be included in any deal, because I would hate to see prominant "Name of Occupant" signage on the Pyramid, which IMO would ruin its aesthetic effect on the skyline.

@joe-blow: Welcome to the forum! Are you a Nashvillian?

The new Parisian store is only 124,000 sq. ft - which is typically a bit smaller than most dept. stores. I am not sure of the size of the Cool Springs store, but it does seem bigger than that. It is however one of the chain's most profitable stores (Cool Springs). The Memphis store has some new bells and whistles including a salon and restaurant which is cool. Now if we could just get these developers back into downtown instead of way out in the boonies, like Collierville, we'd be in much better shape.

The new Parisian store is only 124,000 sq. ft - which is typically a bit smaller than most dept. stores. I am not sure of the size of the Cool Springs store, but it does seem bigger than that. It is however one of the chain's most profitable stores (Cool Springs). The Memphis store has some new bells and whistles including a salon and restaurant which is cool. Now if we could just get these developers back into downtown instead of way out in the boonies, like Collierville, we'd be in much better shape.

that kind of store is geared towards the wealthy, and when collierville and germantown have the richest average population(average income higher than memphis) then this store isnt that out of place.

I stopped by last night to check things out. Pretty cool I must say. It isn't bloomingdales but Collierville isn't exactly New York either so I guess it works. I would rather see this type of development in midtown or downtown any day though.

Oh and by the way, this new Parisian Store concept would be great in the gulch in Nashville, it has a very urban vibe to it.

I stopped by last night to check things out. Pretty cool I must say. It isn't bloomingdales but Collierville isn't exactly New York either so I guess it works. I would rather see this type of development in midtown or downtown any day though.

Oh and by the way, this new Parisian Store concept would be great in the gulch in Nashville, it has a very urban vibe to it.

Yeah, it's always a puzzle why upscale retailers don't return to the inner cities of either Nashville or Memphis. There certainly seems to be the market for that sort of thing. At the same time, those retailers have extensive marketing and development departments, and if they thought they could make a buck in downtown Memphis or Nashville, they'd probably be doing it already.

In any case, I think both cities' downtowns will see that sort of retail at least within the next 5-10 yrs.

In Memphis, downtown doesn't even have a large-scale grocery chain, and there are 12,000 people living in the immediate area, although the Memphis Business Journal sort of "promised" earlier this year that there would be an announcement of a grocer by the end of this year. Shoot, every little hick town of 12,000 in Minnesota or Iowa has a large grocery store, and they're not nearly as affluent as the folks in downtown Memphis.

Yeah, it's always a puzzle why upscale retailers don't return to the inner cities of either Nashville or Memphis. There certainly seems to be the market for that sort of thing. At the same time, those retailers have extensive marketing and development departments, and if they thought they could make a buck in downtown Memphis or Nashville, they'd probably be doing it already.

In any case, I think both cities' downtowns will see that sort of retail at least within the next 5-10 yrs.

In Memphis, downtown doesn't even have a large-scale grocery chain, and there are 12,000 people living in the immediate area, although the Memphis Business Journal sort of "promised" earlier this year that there would be an announcement of a grocer by the end of this year. Shoot, every little hick town of 12,000 in Minnesota or Iowa has a large grocery store, and they're not nearly as affluent as the folks in downtown Memphis.

There was a mid-sized grocery store downtown in the Pembroke building on Front Street. They closed because they were just too expensive. Harbor town has a very nice grocery store called "Ms. Cordelia's". Its also very upscale and expensive though. Word is that a grocer will occupy the former Chism Trail grocery store on Danny Thomas Blvd. and North Parkway. I don't know how true this is because St. Jude owns that property now. If a grocery store does come to this location, I think it would work with all of the new develpment going on uptown. I would prefer one on or near a trolley line, something that could help people in this city become less dependent on cars and it wouldn't need a huge parking lot because many downtown residents would be able to hop on a trolley to get to it.

Parisian is doing the same thing in Little Rock. They are building a new store in West Little Rock instead of downtown. It would have been great if they would have gone downtown and let Dillard's know their here. Downtown Little Rock has a small but growing population but it think others would shop there. They go to Dallas from LR every day to shop.

• 3 weeks later...

On Houston Levee Road immediately south of Bill Morris Pkwy/Nonconnah Pkwy/TN-385. It's in Collierville--very affluent and growing like crazy. It's 20-30 minutes from downtown (no traffic) in the SE corner of Shelby County.

That stretch of Nonconnah is only two lanes. Its going to have to be widened really soon due to all of the growth in the area. I really don't understand why they don't just put five lanes on each side of the interstates in Memphis and not have to worry about it for a while instead of construction every two years. Collierville and east Shelby County are growing so fast. I think they need to do it now instead of waiting until Collierville's population is 60,000.

Archived