Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

torgo

City Center Redevelopment

torgo    3

Did anyone catch the news today? If I'm not mistaken the DDA approved around 150K for public improvements at the JA Building or whatever its called at the SE corner of Fulton and division. They also mentioned that something will be going on in around a month regarding the site of the former parking ramp. Does anyone else have details here?? I was only half paying attention at the time and I can't find the story anywhere now.

publius    0

Did anyone catch the news today? If I'm not mistaken the DDA approved around 150K for public improvements at the JA Building or whatever its called at the SE corner of Fulton and division. They also mentioned that something will be going on in around a month regarding the site of the former parking ramp. Does anyone else have details here?? I was only half paying attention at the time and I can't find the story anywhere now.

heard exactly the same thing on the way home today on WGVU

:)

torgo    3

I remember reading about this a couple months ago, who's the developer on it? Is it Mr. Tol?

Ah ha! I knew it was there somewhere! Thanks twoshort. Yeah, it is Robert Tol. Hopefully they will start soon! :yahoo:

GRDadof3    1837

Yah, Bob Tol. I think someone here mentioned not long ago that we may start to see some work going on at the City Center ramp site? And the free beer only applies to the RSC/Second Story project, not Tol's ;)

You snuck in ahead of me andy. I was waiting to see if anyone would use the new emots.

joeDowntown    664

I like how they said "Renovate the City Center Ramp Site". Can you really renovate a grassy knoll? Doesn't there have to be something present to renovate it? :)

Just an observation.

Joe

Prankster    29

I like how they said "Renovate the City Center Ramp Site". Can you really renovate a grassy knoll? Doesn't there have to be something present to renovate it? :)

Just an observation.

Joe

Maybe they're going to plant a few trees and turn it into a park. :)

Veronica    0

Maybe they're going to plant a few trees and turn it into a park. :)

Ah yes, a lovely park and new home for Crazy Eddie and Talks to Himself Guy.

It's really about time for the building though, and it could be really cool if they do it right. Hey I know...how about another tall glass tower?!! :rofl:

torgo    3

Or better yet, how about this for a wacky idea: A decent, dignified building that isn't surrounded by a blank wall! :w00t: Heck, if they're feeling frisky, maybe even *gasp* mixed uses! Ground floor retail! Residential! Offices! Oh the humanity! :yahoo:

MJLO    342

help me out here kids, because I thought that there were plans for ramp site were approved or something, or was that all smoke and mirrors?

GRDadof3    1837

I think they're joking. The whole process of having multiple development ideas submitted was that they had to meet a bunch of criteria set out by the city, and the design had to be approved by the Historical Commission because it sits in the Heartside District. RSC's proposal was chosen due to it meeting most or all of the criteria set out. As far as I know, they have all the approvals they need as far as design goes (but I could be wrong).

MJLO    342

It sounds like they won a contest. It doesn't really sound like anything tangable at this point. Since I am the resident cynic, I will say, I predict that lot to sit empty for a while.

GRDadof3    1837

It sounds like they won a contest. It doesn't really sound like anything tangable at this point. Since I am the resident cynic, I will say, I predict that lot to sit empty for a while.

It basically was a contest. Here is the rundown of what had to be submitted, and the process leading up to closing on the property, which it either happened just recently or will very soon.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=2258

It's easy being a cynic. Then you can say "I told you so" either way ;)

GRDadof3    1837

Yes, in regard to the JA building, that's Tol's plan. It is odd that WOODTV doesn't mention that specifically, but previous articles did mention the added floors and had a "rendering". You'd have to dig pretty far back in the forum to find it. ;)