Whatever happened to the bridge project in LR?

• 1 month later...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An update on the Junction Bridge. I've read that it will open on May 17th and be open for Riverfest and then close down for up to six weeks to finish construction.

The Little Rock/south elevator tower.

The north tower.

I look forward to seeing the views from the middle of the bridge. I am wondering how safe it will feel for a toddler. The rail openings look fairly wide. Surely they took into account that there is a child-focused City park at the foot on the bridge on the LR side. Kids are going to want to go up there. When I first went on the Big Dam Bridge I was pleasantly surprised by how safe it feels.

With the Junction Bridge opening up in a few weeks when will we see work start on the Rock Island Bridge? According to the Clinton Foundation it will be awhile. They still need to raise another $5 million for the bridge. They state the project will cost $10 million, twice as much as the original plans due to the increase in fuel and steel cost. The foundation has said it has spent $500k on the project, which includes architectural drawings and other costs. I have a question that no one has answered about the bridge. A few months ago someone pledged to provide most of the steel for the project. With the steel being provided why would the additional $5 million be needed? Also, why haven't the drawings been released?

With the Junction Bridge opening up in a few weeks when will we see work start on the Rock Island Bridge? According to the Clinton Foundation it will be awhile. They still need to raise another $5 million for the bridge. They state the project will cost $10 million, twice as much as the original plans due to the increase in fuel and steel cost. The foundation has said it has spent $500k on the project, which includes architectural drawings and other costs. I have a question that no one has answered about the bridge. A few months ago someone pledged to provide most of the steel for the project. With the steel being provided why would the additional $5 million be needed? Also, why haven't the drawings been released?

At one point the site on the other side of the river was owned by Sheffield Nelson or Gene Pfieffer, (sworn clinton enemies). Until the other side of the river is developed, I suspect the Clinton Foundation will delay work on the bridge.

If that condition has changed, then I don't see that they have much of a reason.

I think Hillary's campaign is diverting money from the Clinton Foundation right now, they likely are getting very few donations.

Nonetheless a promise is a promise.

I think Hillary's campaign is diverting money from the Clinton Foundation right now, they likely are getting very few donations.

Nonetheless a promise is a promise.

There may be donors who are asked not to donate at this time due to the potential politicization of the donation. But generally, I do not buy that there is a high correlation between Clinton Foundation donations and Hillary's campaign donations. There are millions of people who would donate to her campaign, but would not give a the Clinton Foundation. The opposite scenario is also true.

There may be donors who are asked not to donate at this time due to the potential politicization of the donation. But generally, I do not buy that there is a high correlation between Clinton Foundation donations and Hillary's campaign donations. There are millions of people who would donate to her campaign, but would not give a the Clinton Foundation. The opposite scenario is also true.

1. If it helps any I know from a very good source it is true

2. The opposite scenario isn't really true. Only the most diehard Clinton supporters give big bucks to the Clinton Foundation. Those people are pro-Hillary as well. There are obviously many people who would donate to Hillary to see her elected but wouldn't donate to help with the Clinton Library. Right now, I am quite sure the strong fundraising efforts are diverting money to the election. Whether she wins or not I think donations will pick up in December, once the political arms race is over.

• 2 weeks later...

The NLR entryway almost ready for opening day.

p1020591co1.jpg

Time to remove the paper boxes.

I know this is going to sound like I'm the biggest idiot in the world, but it never occurred to me how convenient this will be for pedestrian traffic from the River Market area to Alltel Arena for events. Perhaps this will ease some of the hassle regarding discontinuation of the bus service.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I LOVE how this is lit.

Its so cool, especially in that close-up, that they allow the structure to speak for itself in an understated way, ala the Arch in St. Louis, rather than like the tacky neon bridges in Shreveport.

I agree. Big dam bridge-style lights wouldn't show off the bridge's authenticity, that kind of stuff belongs on new bridges.

That's a very urban and interesting photograph of the bridge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived