Whatever happened to the bridge project in LR?

• 1 month later...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

As for the Rock Island Bridge the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports today that the Clinton Library Foundation is $8 million short on funding for the overhaul of the bridge. They are asking Congress to fund the rest of the project. If federal funding fails then I don't see this bridge in use for another 10 years or beyond. At what point will it have to be demolished if service work is not done on the bridge?

The Rock Island Bridge on the Little Rock side of the river.

dscf2776y.jpg

• 3 months later...

The Rock Island Bridge redevelopment has been stalled because of the lack of fund raising by the Clinton Foundation. Gov. Beebe announced that $2.5 million of the stimulus money has been set aside for the bridge but it will only be available if the other funds to complete the project are raised.

The bridge just before suinrise.

p1050831w.jpg

Here's another awesome night shot of the Junction Bridge. Click HERE.

I visited the Junction Bridge a few weeks ago, and quite frankly, I was disappointed with the execution. I know there's not much "design" involved per se, but the components that were added to the bridge (connector bridge, elevator tower, etc.) are utilitarian at best - a lost opportunity. Furthermore, why was the final "finish" of the structure made to look worn? It looks HORRIBLE!!!! If you walk up to it, it's obvious that they only half painted the bridge with a metallic finish, giving it a mottled appearance. It just looks tacky, like they ran out of money (which they did I suppose).

• 2 weeks later...

The Rock Island Bridge redevelopment has been stalled because of the lack of fund raising by the Clinton Foundation. Gov. Beebe announced that $2.5 million of the stimulus money has been set aside for the bridge but it will only be available if the other funds to complete the project are raised.

The bridge just before suinrise.

p1050831w.jpg

Last night there was a report about the bridge on KATV #7. A spokesman for the bridge redevelopment said only 2 million remained to be raised before the project could start. As far as I know they have not released any drawings of what the bridge will look like when finished. I know the area around the Little Rock side will not take much work but the NLR side is another story. In fact the whole riverfront east of the Main Street bridge on the NLR side needs work.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure where to put this...probably not here, but I read where bids are due for the Two Rivers Park bridge. Definitely will be sweet to have the rest of the bike trails connected to Two Rivers Park.

Bridge contract was awarded to same company that did BDB. Work to start soon and be completed by summer 2011. Sweet.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw mention of a $2 Mil wetland park being put in on the south side of the Arkansas River near the Presidential Library. From what I saw it looked pretty interesting. Just curious if anyone down there had any more info about it. Seems like it would be nice to have especially right next to the Presidential Library. The view of all the trash and debris in the river wasn't great to show off to visitors seeing the library.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I saw mention of a $2 Mil wetland park being put in on the south side of the Arkansas River near the Presidential Library. From what I saw it looked pretty interesting. Just curious if anyone down there had any more info about it. Seems like it would be nice to have especially right next to the Presidential Library. The view of all the trash and debris in the river wasn't great to show off to visitors seeing the library.

Work continues on the wetland park.

dsc00259gd.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

There is a groundbreaking ceremony this morning as work is set to begin on the Rock Island Bridge--now named the Clinton Park Bridge--in July and to be completed by this time next year. KUAR story here.

The permit has been issued for the rehab of the Clinton Park Bridge. Work should begin soon which will put it about 3 to 4 months behind schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived